Tire Recommendation for 1997 240sx SE

Can anyone up there in Ontario recommend which tires I should buy for my 1997 240sx SE? The car is showroom stock.

I’m moving up to Toronto from Tampa in three weeks, and want a good performance tire that is also good in the snow, in case I need to take it out in the winter. Florida is the worst place to ask about a good all-season tire, so I’m hoping that you guys can help! I want to buy a new set before the trip.

Thanks in advance, everyone.

Jason

I hate you.

Why in the world would you move from Tampa to Toronto? :slight_smile:

Anyway, I don’t think you want to go with an all-season tire. Even the cheapest winter tires will be better than the best all-seasons. I really can’t stress that enough. In fact, I’d get a winter beater. The amount of salt on Toronto’s winter roads is horrifying, plus, since you have an American car, odds are you have no LSD. My limited slip has saved my ass a few times (left turns over snow drifts, anyone?)

But if you must get an all-season… no, sorry, nothing comes to mind =/

I would suggest getting winter and summer tires if that works in your budget

listen to spike. last winter killed my ride with rust spots. i got okay winter tires, and they helped me a helovalot more than any all seasons that i have ever had.

but the best idea is get a winter beater, hopefully i’ll get one soon for this winter. driving your 240 in the snow takes some practise, its light, and RWD, although alot of fun for the experienced, a living nightmare for someone who has never driven in the snow. dude, we don’t get little crappy 2" of snow up here, we get about 2 feet of snow!!
no joke.

anyway, i got a pair of yokohamas avs es100’s for the summer, and i love them. get em, well worth the $150 EACH i paid (unless someone can get them cheaper, of course).

Thanks for all of the info. I ended up buying the new Bridgestone Potenza G009 tires. It’s a high performance H-rated (130mph) all season tire (even though I’ll be taking it off the road after what you’ve told me!)

I had a lot of fun with them yesterday… It was sunny out when I picked up the car, and cornered hard a few times - they were awesome. Then I took it on the Interstate and got up to 105mph. I can’t believe how quiet these tires are. To top it off, we had a daily monsoon storm later in the day, and they stuck to the road the whole time.

Everything cost me US$489 with mounting, balancing and tax. You can buy them on Tirerack.com for $84/each I believe. Check them out if you can buy them in Canada. They rock.

Jason

Moving from Tampa to Toronto! Why in the world would anyone want to do that? My parents own a house in Bradenton (Just south of Tampa) and every time we go there we always ask our selves why would anyone from here want to go vacation up north and you are moving up here! That’s nuts. Anyway if you think the Potenzas are good you would of loved the Toyo Poroxes FZ4’s they grip better and they are slightly cheaper…Here in Canada especialy in Ontario you will need a winter beater, don’t use your 240sx in the winter, we use so much salt on our road to melt the ice and snow that you can almost see your car rust before your very eyes. Forget rust protection from rust check etc. It only slows down rust it doesn’t prevent it. Just get a winter beater and you will save the life of your 240sx. Other then that Welcome to Toronto!