Toyota, Ford and now GM - Sticking Accelerator Pedal

I’m not quite sure what the exact issue is.
First Toyota says it’s the floor mats. Now Ford halts production along with GM’s Pontiac Vibe because the DBWTB’s are all made at a plant here in Mississauga.

So…is this a DBWTB problem?

If it is. I am re-leaved in a sense. I always said…FUCK electronic throttles. They mess up, people will end up dead!

Before I start jumping around. I’d like more information if anyone has any!

They say it’s a “sticking gas pedal”

they want me to get rid of my cars that are 20yrs or older. they have also made it more difficult to register it. an unessary appraiial for 1, then not every insureance co will take a 20yr old car. y?? no on board diagnostics. no tracking me. obd- go “f” uself. FREEDOM!!

hooray for technology! In the 43 cars I’ve owned, I never once had an issue with my throttle cable, except once, when i didnt adjust the bracket properly after an SR swap (my fault, not nissans). But every DBW piece of shit I’ve ever driven has had a glitchy, laggy akward feeling throttle - Including My now grounded 'till further notice '09 vibe company car.

when I did a brake stand with my 03 silverado once, the stupid thing stayed floored and the abs kicked in. It stayed floored for about 8 sec. Hated the electronic throttle ever since.

They also want you to go back to school.

I never ever like the DBWTB system either. Kills the feeling of the vehicle.

So far…this thread feels like win to me:)

I’m all for electronics, and i find it hard to believe that even if a device had failed, that proper safety precautions had not been implemented to prevent a dangerous scenario. If thats not the case it could probably be a simple software change and replace simple part.

I highly doubt that a throttle cable will ever return over DBW

and people say inbred red necks don’t exist anymore

yep it’s CTS’s pedal position switch

apparently, under certain very rare conditions, the pedal can be slow to return or may possibly fail to return

toyotas assembled in japan use Denso units. so do all lexus vehicles. they are not part of the recall.

toyotas assembled in north america, except the camry, all use CTS

the camry, because of huge volume, can have either the CTS or the Denso. only way is to check the unit itself

assembled in japan, using japanese suppliers FTW

Ya the number of crashed due to this in the last 4 or 5 years is staggering.
They have been denying it for years… blaming it on user error and faulty floor mats…

CTS said it was Toyota’s design that is faulty, and not actually their manufactering process.

shrugs

i’ll stick with older cars thanks.

Audi 5000?

Yes. I was having a similia conversation today. You drop big bucks on a car only to have a less satisfying experience, and frustrating and dangerous new experiences like this. I feel $ for $ there are many older cars that would be far more satisfying. Just not feeling a lot of new rides, especially when we have so many great older rides (clean S-chasis’, Skylines, RX’s, Aristo’s, Celsoir’s, Cedric’s, Chaser’s, Soarer’s,Supra’s) tried, testes, and proven. That’s just me.

x2!!!

Okay…So. Is there a CONFIRMED problem/part?

so does no one know that they can shift into neutral or turn the car off to avoid unwanted acceleration…?

Ya I dont even like any of the car out there today. There are probably only 2 or maybe three cars I would even consider buying. I hate new cars!

More gadgets = more things to break.

I love that the electronics on the kouki are basic and the only thing digital is the clock.

I don’t like DBW personally. I can feel a throttle lag on my car, I don’t like it. A lot of people do grounding kits, and little plug in things that mess with the DBW signal to make it more responsive, but I think the car would’ve been better if it just had a cable throttle to begin with.

actually i bet 80% of drivers in canada/states… DONT know that… it so ez to get ur license in these stupid countrys.
and everyone is lazy and drives automatics… so they dont know jack shit.
you never rlly hear of these things happening in europe… or other countrys… hey in indian u get ur license by driving down the parking lot… or handing him 200 rupees…
yet they all know manual… and know that there is a neutral… ive talked to so many ppl who dont even know wat neutral does…
/rant

For the record, neutral is not a gear, its a state. Most north american drivers only seem to care about cupholders, space and dvd players for the kids. There are few of us who actually enjoy driving.