Trailer my car

So these past 2 years that i’ve been tracking, im always breaking shit, and even when i don’t the drive down to track is super gay. \

So my truck has a maximum towing capacity of about 5000lbs.

Any my car fully equipped with gas, and all my tires and parts and tool box, comes out to be about 3200 lbs.

Does the weight of the trailer matter? or do i have to factor that in to how much i tow. If i do, what does a typical full car trailer weigh?

usually the weight doesn’t come into factor, the fact that you are towing a wall behind you that is the problem.
if you have an open trailer you will be fine.
I have an older f150 that I tow my car on. the trailer is a race car trailer with a huge tire rack right in the front (not aerodynamic at all) and I’ve never had a problem.
but then again I have a newer escape that completely fucked the transmission by pulling a closed trailer.

i plan on towing it with a ford ranger, 4x4, auto tranny. Its rated at about 5000lbs. And yeah i was planning on getting an open trailer, because i would be renting one or borrowing one most likely.

should be fine just take off overdrive, or put it in 3rd. it might rev a little high, but it keeps the revs where the power is.

yeah, i’m sure it’s not as good as say a fullsize, but it should work fine if that’s what it’s rated for. i’m hoping you have the 6 cyl. and not the 4 though…

i tow a 10,000 pound enclosed with my yukon, its only rated at 7500

no issues ,

i wouldn’t worry about the weight, just toung weight, position car on trailer nicely!, and it will be a breeze, being a open trailer the wind resistance is very low,

place the vehicle on the trailer with the most weight over the axle if possible.
takes weight off the tongue.

isnt stopping is more of an issue then a moving foward?? just my 2 cent.

ps: have a goooooood time climing that hill on the way to cayuga :smiley:

just stop earlier than you normally would.
ford trans are the weakest part, so just taker out of overdrive and keep it slow.

lol blast up the hill from far far ahead lol

A Ranger will tow a car on a dolly with out to many issues. I know I used to do it alot.

04 ranger 3.0l V6 Auto w/Tranny cooler and LSD 4.10

Make sure its an auto with the tranny cooler though or you may have some heating issues.

Most full car trailers are 1000lbs or so, make sure the hitch weight is correct and it will be okay.

PS I hope its not the i-4 ranger in which case it won’t tow anything with ease.

^ yea i got a 09, with a 4.0L. its got a 3.73 gear lsd. Its already got a class 3 tow thing on the back, which is rated at 5000lbs, so i think i m good there.

The tranny cooler is something i’ll look into. As drive to shannonville is 3 hrs. I probably would FLOOR the cayuga hill way before the gas station hits and time it with the lights. Hills are no problem.

It might be standard on the 4.0, should be up front somewhere.

Make sure your trailer lights work!

I’m sure the setup will have no issues with the cayuga hill.

lol towing is always half the fun of going to the track

^ lol. It better be. I haven’t had a decent radio and a/c on the way to the track in a while. haha.

Sitting in a fixed bucket with no a/c and loud exhaust is only fun for so long.

lol, try driving 4 hours each way.

the drive there isn’t that bad its the drive home that sucks ha. ive got a 3.0l auto ranger and i don’t think i would ever tow my car with it, well i don’t think IT ever could. Plus ive already had to put a tranny in mine ha

^ yea thats the problem. I don’t have the money or time to fuck around with my dad’s new truck.

I guess I’ll have to see. Either i tow it, or i invest in some dynomat and get some speakers.

my truck is for sale!

haha, sorry Peter, a new truck isn’t in the cards.