tranny problems

people have always told me trannies in chryslers suck, and i think i just figured it out. The tranny in my lebaron seems to take longer and longer to shift into the next gear and downshifts very early when im slowing down??? But if pull out decently hard it shift perfectly normal. It only shifts funky when im just pulling out slow. Also, if i put it into “1”, my gas pedal is really hard to push down, and if i really force it, the car will shift itself into “2” on the gear shifter? It never did this before. I changed the filter and oil in the tranny and didnt see anything in the oil but im sure somthing is broke. Any suggestions?

the neon i used to own threw itself into 2 before when i tried to smash the gas pedal the floor. i don’t have a definite answer but i would check the shift linkage and whatever else you can without tearing into the transmission

Thats not one of the notoriously bad tranny’s. Earlier front drive trans like tend to have issues with the soleniod pack. Its externally mounted on the front of the case just above the pan. Now if you had a little newer mini van that would be a whole different story.

turbo auto’s didn’t come with lock up silenoids, only non turbo 4 cylinder auto’s later in the life of the 2.2/2.5 like maybe 88 up or so. regardless those trannies stock are suppppeerrrrrrr shit. went through 3 of them. you can build them up to handle like 500 hp though. just swap to a 5 speed like i did.

My governer would stick in my former Dodge Dynasty, causing the exact same symptoms. Quick fix? Put it in park while going about five-ten MPH. The clicking you’ll here is the detent, which is right by the governer. That vibe will usually knock whatevers jamming the governer loose. The downside is that this is a temporary fix. Whatever is causing your governer to jam is still in the tranny and will likely cause it again.