Truck won't start

Went to start my dad’s truck so it can warm up before leaving the firehall and it started, ran for like 3 sec and died. It does this when it gets really cold, so I didnt think anything of it…well now it wont start at all. It is not turning over. The starter makes this like clunking noise but nothin else happens. Tried jumping it, no go. I dont know if the spring got stuck and it was stuck engaged and needs to reset or something? :gotme:. Its a 96 F-150 4.6 V6.

wack the starter

+1 Get a wrench or hammer or something and give it a smack.

Solenoid, wack it get it home, replace

have him buy something that isnt a ford

check your grounds if it ran and died.

I tried smacking the starter with a mallet last night, but to no avail. Damn Fords lol. I dunno…I’ll probably end up having to replace the starter. Its strange though, it doesnt click like it is a power issue, it has plenty of juice, it sounds as though the starter is stuck or something.

Well I can tell you this much that buick I got from you a year or so ago…the starter was put in wrong…and broke into a bunch of peices :slight_smile:

lol. Glad I didnt do it then ;). Had a buddy of mine do it for me cuz I had to work lol. Note to self…

Take the battey out and have it tested.

4.6 V6? Unpossible.

Def get the battery checked.

+1 for a baddery

Yeah thats what I was thinking, but I tried do jump it. Now even if it was a bad battery would that still cause it if I jump it, or would the booster car be able to compensate and get it started?

If the battery’s good and toast then you probably won’t be able to turn it over with a jump, especially a decent sized motor.

in my TA my old battery was died as hell. It took a lot of revving and effort to get badazz28’s jeep to get it to jumpstart.

Hmm Werd. I know he has been having problems with the battery so that is probably the problem.

I’ve got a 4.6 in my f150 and i’ll tell ya when those starters go they GO!! no warning nothing. i triesd smacking with hammer etc… nothing. ford had a problem with the wiring on them too when its replaced you’ll have to crimp on a different end on one of the wires.
I had to change mine on my back in a parking lot in winter not fun

try jumping the regulator

Try playing Disturbed while cranking.

Works every time…