trying to find a good luxury AWD sedan-opinions needed

Walter don’t sugar coat it, tell us how you really feel.:biglaugh:

Those points, while valid, can be gotten across with out sounding like a douchebag, which isn’t walters strong point.

I’ve met the OP, and he seems like a pretty smart kid with cars, so any repairs/service i’m sure he can handle himself

Fuck I keep forgetting 2002 = B6, except the S4…

DIY and water pump / timing belt… I dunno, that’s pretty intense.

It is more important to Walter that he is right.
He obviously has never been taught any diplomacy/curtousey.

Of course, just ask the people that work for me. I actually hold up :bloated:smilies in meetings to make sure I get my point across.

Meh, the first time I did it, it took me like 6 hours and 10 beers. Just take your time, one bolt at a time.

He has a DSM, I’m sure he has no problem doing a timing belt and pump. Its actually really easy once you get the front end off.

Classic.
I may steal that idea.

i understand the points that everyone is trying to make. But you all keep forgetting that i can do the work myself. I have the garage space and the tools. Yeah it might take a little while, but its nothing a little reading on the forums, some beer and a weekend of work cant fix.

you all make it seem like there is soo much shit that can go wrong with these cars. I have driven only dsm’s for the past 5 years. Have had 15 2g’s and 3 gvr4’s. I have had my fair share of wrenching time, im sure i could handle a timing belt and other misc. things.

since everyone seems to know everything about the b6 a4’s… what would you suggest, the 1.8t or the 3.0 v6? (i am not looking for speed/performance)

Awesome find. That thing is loaded, with great mileage as well. I don’t find Subaru interiors to be cheap at all. It may not thud as much when you close the door, but creature comforts are all there, and the price tag is much more appealing. And their reliability and durability is far ahead of Audi.

My next car will be an Outback wagon, perhaps a new Outback 2.5 XT.

Edit- And sure, you may be able to do the service yourself, but do you really want to spend your free time making repairs on a DD car because it has poor reliability track ratings?

Right, but the weekend of work turns into a week of work…or waiting for new parts…or whatever.

Just speaking from experience on that, you don’t want your DD on jackstands for a week. Don’t hop on the A4 bandwagon either. Just by asking about what kind of maintenance they require means not yet ready to step into the rings of pain.

yeah, you are right. I have not done the research to see exactly what to look for in these cars etc. part of the reason why i started this post. I want to know what kind of service these things require. So far everyone keep saying OMG timing belt. everything else pretty much blegh.

Do they really break that often? everyone makes it seem like my 500+ hp dsm is going to be more reliable and better to drive with a twin disk, no power steering, and a welded center dif?

not really jumping on a bandwagon either, my friend has had one for about 5 years now and i have just loved how comfortable and smooth they drive.

Just saying I see a lot of people picking them up.

Not calling you a biter.

i spend half my free time keeping my cars in good shape and the way i want them as it is right now. If i can handle 3 cars (well 2.5) right now, id hope 1 car wouldn’t be a problem.

yeah gotcha… sooo since this has become a post on the b6 a4. What do i have to look out for with these cars? Did audi decide to finally change out their crappy gauge cluster so all the pixils dont burn out? No more bad ball joints like the b5? wheel bearings and suspension components still a common problem? So far the only thing that would be pretty timing consuming would be the timing belt. and last i check people dont change them with every oil change.

I have no problem admitting i am wrong, or saying that someone is right but when they come off as a complete jackass or bullshit me. the fact that he still thinks KBB’s is the best thing in the world and he tries to make himself look smarter by putting in the suggested retail value of a vehicle rather than the private party. that doesn’t exactly make me want to listen or believe a single world out of his mouth. Because the way i look at this entire topic he will say whatever makes him look right.

still trying to figure out whats so hard to maintain on these cars?

use the search function, find a thread where I haven’t recomended buying a CPO’d Audi if you are looking at buying a used one. I probably don’t know wtf I’m talking about, I’ve probably never even owned an Audi.

God you are stupid.

A nice luxury AWD for under $10K? I hope you are a good mechanic.

Luxury AWD cars become CHEAP to buy when they become EXPENSIVE to maintain. :wink:

x…

still waiting for an answer of whats so hard to work on these cars or why i would be incapable of maintaining one. Find one for an avg price, do the timing belt/service shit before i put it on the road. and then drive and enjoy the car that is up to date on everything. doesn’t seem like a hard concept to grasp.

You still have not given me any type of facts or information. no numbers on the cost of timing belts, ball joints, coils, etc. If you know so much about these why don’t you share some useful information about them instead of coming off as an asswipe? im done will all the bullshit drama though. I could care less of what you have said, or think now because you have no way to communicate and give advice in a simple manor.

For all i know you ride a bicycle and are in the 6th grade. So i will say this again, unless you want to actually communicate like adults and give some logical advice like others have in this thread, go start drama somewhere else.

93–dxhatch is about the only person that has actually stated some facts. Everyone else just jumps in and says they are expensive? Define expensive…

expensive for me is spending 1200 on a twin disk clutch, or 1,000 on a turbo etc… Built dsm’s are far from being cheap and not time consuming. So spending a couple thousand on parts such as timing belt, water pump, ball joints etc on an a4 and taking a week to do it does not bother me one bit.

I have never taken my car to mechanic ever. Ill read and read and read some more until i know the car, what to do, and how to do it. Wrenching is wrenching. take your time, buy the right parts (not autozone), do it right and do it once. so what else can you do?

I have always been kind of lucky.
I buy used luxury cars and put a couple thousand into them and then put many miles on them.
As long as you plan on doing that you should be fine.

My ALLROAD cost me a few thousand but my total cost is waaaaaay lower than buying a new(er) one.
As long as you can come up with the cash for repairs it is almost always cheaper going used.
Just have $2,000 to $3,000 in the budget at all times.