turbo help..and opinions

hey guys…and girls… i have a 1989 240sx hatch…and its just a fun/project/anything goes kinda car. I was thinking of putting a turbo in it. just for fun.

what is nessary to to make this happen with as least money as possible.

i was thinking of getting a turbo and wastegate and intercooler from a golf…volkswagon etc… and use that and then do a custom exhaust mani and downpipe …and piping and get a ebay blowoff valve…is there anthing else i need… i know like all little stuff like all the clams and hoses etc… but is there any key components that i need. i olny wnat ot run like the minium boost possible. lol cuz i wanna use the car for at least 4 to 5 months

please give me any suggestions or anthing i should know or need to get

im just doing this for funn…and also to learn soo thanks everyone.

http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10253

probably the best bang for buck when turbo’ing the ka.

im currently building a similar setup and will probably finish around $1100 all in.

sooo this is gonna fit in my 1989 240sx… but thing is my 240sx is not a a 24valve …does that make a diffence. .im new to the 240sx seen soo yea kinda dont know much. all that is new stuff right…but if i all that used i think it would be much cheaper… i have like 200 bucks…well around there to spend lol… i just want to boost my car for fun. and i said just to learn and everthing and yea …one more quetion… is my 240sx consider a ka…or it is diffent ?

You have a Ka24e in your car, and with $200 your not gunna get far at all.

k lol… i was just wondering …mybe ill save a bit more money then …thanks for the help.

yeah $200 won’t get you boosted unless you steal most of your parts.

the set-up in the link i sent you is for a dual cam (ka24de) and only some parts will work for a single cam motor.

If you really want to do it on that low of a budget, and run such low boost, you should skip the intercooler in my opinion.

Other expenses will come up as you try to get it running nicely, you’ll need to save more money first - or just start building an inventory of turbo parts to get ready for now.

Good luck.

Just a heads up, most cheap parts are not reliable. For example, SSAC, XSpower etc. You also have to take into consideration fuel (injectors, FMU) and lines for the turbo.

Difference between a kit for the DOHC vs SOHC, the turbo manifold will be different. Everything else will work.

Personally I wouldn’t do a budget setup. Especially if you cannot afford downtime. In most cases you are going to get problems that you don’t expect and that means more money.

Check out KA-T.org as Walter mentioned, and you can learn a lot on there.

$200…might aswell throw some NAWS in there…haha…thats what i would single slammers will take the abuse

yea i think i need some more money lol… its just im in school and i dont have a job right now lol…thanks though… but one more question… do we have to do anything to the engine before boosting it ? like change the head studs etc …

That’s the thing with turbo’ing a car - there is no definite “have to”.

That’s why doing it right can get expensive, and trying to skimp can be risky - and even more expensive.

Just enjoy your car for now, keep on researching, and decide what you want to do while saving the dough!

He’s right.

There are many setups you can opt for. That thread on Ka-t.org is pretty tempting but you should save your money and search around to make-up the setup more suitable to your own goals.

I suggest that before you do a THING you take the time to read some books, some online tech, review allot of posts others have done, look at other turbo setups… the end result will be you will have a good idea of the hows and whys of turbo build ups. You can then rely on yourself to sort out what you want rather then asking others what you should have…

BAS built my turbo setup and I’ve been beyond happy with it.

yea u guys make alot of sense… im gonna do some more research and just read on ohter setups and etc… and mybe just buying parts… that are at amazingly good prices… cuz i know for sure im gonna turbo somthing lol but thanks for the help…but if anyone has parts they dont neeed please pm ill but stuff that is a must like turbo…manifold tubing etc…thanks again guys.

The best advice I can give is, if you can’t afford to blow up your motor then do not turbo it.

I see that you said you’re currently unemployed so that’s why I’m giving the advice above.
A lot of people seem to dive in expecting to make big power for little cash and then end up with a car with no engine and no way to get to work/school. :frowning:

true true lol… i was thinking of getting a beater… and use my 240sx as a project car…but that ka-t site is pretty awesome… i got soo much info on it …soo thanks for that site .and ill keep u guys updated on what ill be doing thanks everyone.