Turbocharger recondition service 56K die

nom nom nom

mmm feels good.

I bought it used from a dealer. When I got it it had a CBE, crappy intake, v1 Turbo XS utec (fred from capitalland has it now)and ran rough. I brought it to synapse to check it out and bought an oem intake and exhaust, we found out the timing had skipped due to maintenance not being done. They also did the fuel return line fix, and when they took the IM off they found out the heads had been ported, and it has cosworth head gaskets. When they fired it up they also were finally able to tell it has the sound of a subaru forged engine. rather noisey… I have been talking to seth moon and he pretty much identified the pistons for me sight unseen. I guess early on CP used to has loose tolerances for they ej20 pistons. I was planning on a tune this week but the radiator cracked. The new all aluminum unit should be here thursday, then I am replacing the IACV gasket, getting that cleaned out, getting 4 newer tires and an alignment then I’m getting tuned finally !

welcome to the world of subaru ownership. where your pride will be hurt and your wallet left empty.

swap heads/block w/ caz

+cash and make him buy my fp green too!

Yes to this. :thumbup

Not so much. :lol

cheap fuck… BUY MY TURBO!!!

The slugs could be any number of aftermarket pieces, so “identification” by noise isn’t quite that easy :wink: CP/Pankle, Wiseco, Ross, CW, etc all make pistons for that motor. However just because their noisy doesn’t necessitate that it’s a built block. OEM’s can be noisy as all hell too after a beating. Easiest way to tell is with a bore scope down one of the spark plug holes where you can inspect the dome of the piston. If you don’t have one of those, and are doing the timing belt, you can easily see by pulling one of the pin access plugs on the front of the cases and rotating the engine until you can see the slug at the pin boss. The OEM vs forged pieces have drastically different pin bosses that you can see though those holes. Or if you pull the motor and oil pan, dead giveaway by looking at the piston pocket at BDC.

Early CP’s PWC was .004, it’s now down to .003 with their new alloy composition, however I typically setup in .0033-35 range for forced inducted engines that are “going to be abused”. NA get’s .003 regardless. Suby’s have a tendency to be noisy due to their short skirt design anyway and the increased PWC of a forged 2618 alloy slug just amplifies that. Just a by-product of the case design really.

ahh ok. I was simply repeating information that was given to me. do you happen to have a scope? would I be able to accurately identify exactly which specific piston it is by removing the oilpan, or simply identify that they are or are not oem?

I do have a bore scope, but it’s not a flexible variant and you’d only be able to get it into the plug hole with the engine removed from the car due to the location of the frame rails and other crap in these cars.

If you drop the pan you’ll be able to tell what slugs they are(manufacture). Each company uses their own forgings and design, and as such the backside, pin bosses, and pocket are different amongst them. If you drop the pan, rotate the motor so slug #3 or #4 is at bottom dead center, and take a picture or two of that piston I can tell you what they are :slight_smile: #3+4 are easiest to see in this manner with main webbing placement inside the case

feel like changing my oil pan gasket :slight_smile:

Hah!, I might have some free time in June. I’m booked out solid until then.

I am pretty sure its Pankl not Pankel.

oh man. damn dude. do u sleep at all? and if u do is it on a little cot in the back of the shop or just in one of the cars? you work too much, Adam. Take a vacation. Lets go to GT Live?

STFU with vacation talk, he’s busy with the Albany JP Mafia BMWs.

:ninja edit? heheheh
what is he doing to your hooptie today?

Jay’s hooptie now. That’s what the edit was for.

Oic

At least you’re useful for grammar/spelling corrections on this site.

Sleep? Yeah I typically get up around 8-9am and work at the shop until 4-4:30pm, go home eat, spend time with my wonderful wife and daughter, then jump on the pc and do development word, CAD/CAM, reviews, answer emails form customers, etc…do that till 1-2am then go to bed :slight_smile:

Vacation scheduled. My inlaws and my family go to Hatteras area in NC every year. Rent out a big 7-8 BR house on the ebach fo a week. Going in June/July this year.

GT Live…sur thing as long as I’m not on vacation whenever it is :slight_smile:

ah, its Jay Micares Jp M3 here now. Cage additions, wiring/electrical, new engine, drivetrain and suspension refurbishing, JRZ’s, aluminum interior panels galore. Typical JP stuff. Going through it to make it a relatively turn key prep car for him.