tweeter upgrade question

I have a grand cherokee that has the infinity sound system in it. Right now it has the factory CD player till I come across a flip out for a deal. Anyways, I blew the front tweeters. I have some MB quartz ones though that I can throw in. If I unsolder the connection from the stockers and put it on the MBs and connect it, will it screw anything up to play it like that?

are there any caps wired inline to the tweeters? If so, “yes”. If not, no.

What year jeep?

Once upon a time I had a 94 GCLaredo, the tweeters had caps inline (like most stock setups). I rebuilt the audio altogether… ran an standalone active xover, so I cut them out.

I would measure the resistance of the factory tweeter first (Unhook one of the good ones in the car). Some of those factory amped systems have high impedance speakers. If the factory speaker is like 12 ohms, and you replace it with a 4 ohm one…that amp is going to run hot if not blow. If the speakers are close in impedance, than you should be safe.

As far as the caps go, their used for crossovers, or “bass blockers”. Again, their only going to be useful depending on impedance of the speakers. Just because the speaker might have it now, doesnt automatically mean you can switch the speaker. And unless the speaker has the same exact impedance as the one you replace it with, the cossover point isnt going to be the same.

^It’s not just the impedance… You’d have to factor in the majority of the T/S param’s of the driver.

The value of the caps, that are used in this “passive xover” way, are based on more then DCr.

My point is that there is more to factor in than a cap, just because the speaker has a cap doesnt mean you can just swap the speaker out safely. If he has an actual factory amped infinity system, its different than what was in a 94.

Yes.

Those are exactly the points I was making :redface:

93-04 G Cherokee infinity systems were all the same …

just put the tweeters in … they are crossed over in the amp … trust me … i have done probably 100+ of these trucks