Underbody rust protection - where to go?

My friend just purchased a 2000 Cougar V6 and it has some slight surface rust on the underbody of the car. Whats a good place to have it coated to prevent rust through for a decent price?

How much would it cost approximately?

to late

Well, im not saying to coat over the rust. I guess it would need sanded off then coated? I looked at ziebart’s website and they had this oiling thing they said stopped current rust and prevented firther rust from happenning if done an an annual basis. Then it said available in canada only. Anything like that he could do?

You can purchase a special type of rust-prohibitive paint that’ll do the job but it runs about 100/gal.

POR-15
Chassis Saver
Rust Bullett

All are anaerobic paint sealers…they dry flexible but impermeable and will stop rust in it’s tracks…but no paint can return the structural strength that the rust took away.

don’t waste your money.
undercoating is overrated. it just makes the rust come through faster from what i have seen.

and can be a mess when you need to access something under the car and it’s not done right.

wire wheel + $8 spray can of rust converter = good enough since the Cougar is going to blow up in 6 months anyway

i never heard of rust converter. ill have to look into that.

Think the Statue Of Liberty. It’s own corrosion has become its protective material. Rust converter pretty much turns the rust into a moisture free protective barrier…usually black in color

Yep. The stuff steve mentioned (POR-15) is kind of the standard recommendation from what I’ve seen, but as he also said it’s not cheap. You can get a spray can of random brand rust converter for less than $10 I believe. Should be available at Home Depot. Probably not as sweet as POR-15 in the end but it’s the same principle, chemically converting the rust.

Rustolium makes a rust prohibitor (spelling?) in a spray can. They make it in a primer, that can be painted over that

rust prohibitor. That sparys right on the rust and stops it from going any further and from new rust forming correct?