V8less's Sport Compact Challenge Sept. 17th.

Nice Rob!

Nick, I wouldn’t worry about breaking the 15.1 here, our altitude sucks here - earlier in the year someone had an STi going 17’s.

Ya but 90-91 MPH Trap speed seems low to me.

It has a lot to do with driving and the launch.

For example, my best was 13.9, but it was at 109mph and a 2.4 60ft. In comparison to other peoples times that run 109mph, they are in the mid to high 12’s. Since I bogged off nearly every pass, it didn’t do my times any justice. lol. Last year I had 2.1 60ft times. Drag is definitely not for me.

So how were you launches Nick? What were your 60ft times in comparison to other Spec V’s? Reaction time?

Heres some pics I took, and yes I realize I’m not a pro photographer

My camera was acting funny and taking too long to save pictures so thats why theres only a couple shots of both stage and down track.

Nice pics. How did Dan (Dconz) do?

I thought that my launches were pretty good, although one of my front motor mounts popped out and I was getting a lot of wheel hop afterwards.

R/T… .022
60’… 2.276
330… 6.409
1/8… 9.809
MPH… 73.18
1000… 12.743
1/4… 15.230
MPH… 90.68

R/T… .154
60’… 2.189
330… 6.292
1/8… 9.683
MPH… 73.12
1000… 12.623
1/4… 15.117
MPH… 90.80

R/T… .137
60’… 2.333
330… 6.443
1/8… 9.824
MPH… 73.27
1000. 12.741
1/4… 15.217
MPH… 91.98

Nice reaction times Nick!

And Jason, I beleive Dan dived into the 12’s. I thought I remember him stating a 12.7 or something like that.

Not quite but I did join the 12s club with a 12.94 @113.5mph 8) . I lost my head after that and ran low 13’s for the rest of the day, bumped first round on the A finals.

How is you ride, find out what happend yet?

Nice! High fives!!! :E :partyman:

Huh… Are you talking to me on that one?

No but I heard rumor of you having a transmission problem?

I was refering to Aarron’s trouble in qualifying.

Not a rumor. I just put a brand new 97+ spec transmission in my car. Along with a new flywheel and clutch disc - hence the reason I wasn’t ready to race this past weekend.

This is the first Edmonton Sept. SCC I’ve missed since they started… damn!

BTW nice trapspeed Dan (113.5). What boost were you running? And timing? Are you running an ASH or JWT chip, or was this a custom map via your Zemulator?

I’m hoping that now with no more gear grind that I should be seeing higher trap speeds than before. And I’m going to have to try what you suggested earlier (earlier shift points) as well. I definitely think that redlining 3rd gear across the finish line is not the path to high trapspeeds. LOL

As much as those factory turbos would blow, 18-19psi. I think I was hitting almost 20 on the highway with the increased air flow. Running the base maps from the Zemulator. I made a couple changes after datalogging the first three runs but there just wasn’t enough time to properly spend on it while trying to get runs in.

Check this out… Owned!!!

Holy shit Dan… were you running 100% race gas between Edmonton <–> Calgary??

Nope 94…yeah I know ragged edge on that setup. No detenation that I could hear and no knock faults. I tested this before and ran this high in Calgary ok.

[quote=“Dconz”]

How is you ride, find out what happend yet?[/quote]

Not sure what happened yet. Going to crank by hand and see where the noise is coming from, check the oil, and then pull the motor out.

I guess it’s forged pistons and rods time :frowning: but at the same time, its a :smiley:

How is you ride, find out what happend yet?[/quote]

Not sure what happened yet. Going to crank by hand and see where the noise is coming from, check the oil, and then pull the motor out.

I guess it’s forged pistons and rods time :frowning: but at the same time, its a :D[/quote]

Bump up the compression ratio to 9:1. Alot sooner spool and that is what most of the drag guys down in the states use. Think of your turbo spooling 1000 rpm sooner, and running the same power at lower boost levels.

:wtf: What happened? Is there more to the story of what happened to your car on saturday Aaron? What kind of noise, etc.

I had some blow by while under boost (18psi), and while cleaning up the oil under the hood, there was a ticking noise coming from the motor. I checked out, topped it up, and revved the engine to see if the noise cleared… it suddenly turned into a loud knocking noise like a hammer against the valve cover. Sounded like a rocker arm popped off, but i pulled the valve cover and everything was in order. So now I"m not sure exactly what the problem is.

The blowby happened on my last pass at the SCC, pulled it into the pits, checked it out, and the above happened.

As for 9:1 compression. I did some more research into it, and it’s a no go for me. Unless you have that motor tuned to a T, don’t bother. Also, the dudes in the states run higher octane (100oct) to avoid the increase in detonation that will happen. Yes you will have more off boost torque and quicker spool times, but there are also a few other downfalls to doing such a change. Don’t know most of them off the top of my head, but was reading some of what Enthalpy on Fresh Alloy had to say on the matter, and I thought that it just isn’t for me.

Is the knocking comming from one of you coil packs? My car was doing that and what thad happened was the spark plug had blown it’s weld and was bouncing off the electrode, but it could be something entirely different.

i heard the knocking and i dont think so … it was very loud. but i put my hand on the valve cover and like i said at scc i didnt feel anything tapping the cover… next time you do an oil change, cut open the top or bottom of your oil filter and look though the folds in the filter cloth stuff… look for metal frags… this is just a general tip i dont know if it will help your situation. Aircraft mechanics have to do it when they do oil changes on aircraft engines!