vBulletin?

To the people who run this forum, have you considered upgrading to vBulletin? The process of moving over is pretty painless (did it with my yaBB forum with 3000 members, 200k posts), and would index everything for MUCH better searching. It isn’t free, but the member contributions should pay for it, and I wouldn’t even mind throwing in an extra $10 or so. It really is worth it, one of the best software packages I’ve ever used.

I would like to see this board go VB as well. Should be beneficial to the moderators and the members as well.

And it’s easier to organize. For example, a post like this would be posted in Front Desk, instead of here.

:roll:

I was gonna go Front Desk, but thought it might be more appropriate for members only… who cares about those cheap-ass non-members :wink:

I was gonna go Front Desk, but thought it might be more appropriate for members only… who cares about those cheap-ass non-members ;)[/quote]

True.

Well either way, you’ll get a more serious reply there. So…

I was gonna go Front Desk, but thought it might be more appropriate for members only… but you’re right, maybe the other members deserve to see this, as they are just as important… just smaller, tighter wallets.[/quote]

I was gonna go Front Desk, but thought it might be more appropriate for members only… but you’re right, maybe the other members deserve to see this, as they are just as important… just smaller, tighter wallets.[/quote][/quote] :lol:

haha :wink:

If it ain’t broke…

Do we really need to? I think we discussed this in the past, and I
personally can’t justify spending $160USD (almost $200CAD) for
something we really don’t need.

Our current homepage is driven off the phpBB database and I’d hate
to have to re-code it all should we choose to migrate to vBulletin. :o

I have no idea what our current balance is, but if others think this is
a must, then I guess we can have a poll (amongst the admins/mods).

I’d be cool with it. phpBB is everywhere, and ours is broken anyways.

It would definitely take some work to get it looking like SON, but once you’re done you will love it… the admin/backend is SO nice to use, the search function will actually be useful, and there are about a million options for those who like to tweak. As Nutta mentioned, its also so much easier to organize.

As for the front page, the vBulletin “portal” plugin vBAdvanced is amazing… shouldn’t be hard to get it working even better than the current one: http://www.vbadvanced.com/

It is expensive, but I fully believe its worth the money. I would definitely help out if you needed it, as I have gone through an upgrade.

I dunno i liek vBulletin but i have no issue with on as it is.

Yes, but change is good. And upgrading is in order.

Gotta roll with the times, nigras.

We’ll check the funds and see how much we get in the new year, and accordingly we shall decide.

So in order to roll with the times we have to fork over $200? :ugh:

Hey I worked hard to get our front page integrated with our msg board
and it’s working well.

We don’t need vBulletin.

Well I’ve had my say…

Yes. Don’t spread your brown thriftiness on us.

Like i said, we shall check the fundage and what we will get in the new year and then decide.

And then you can work hard on a VB page.

Phbb is old and busted, VB is teh new hotness.

I absolutely agree that vbullitin would make this a better place…

my biggest pet peeve of SON right now is not being able to preview new posts in the notification emails…

I love that about my VB boards, i dont have to click to read the new posts — but it works for PM’s, wtf mate.

i agree . vbulletin would def make this a better place. i think the club is large enough that it would be worth while to upgrade. we have more than enough paying members to keep this alive. i have a friend who runs a server i could see if i could get us a deal.

IMO, if it aint broke, don’t fix it.

Is there any feature of VB which justifies the expense? I really think we’ve
done enough modifications to the PHPBB forum to make it serve our
community well.

Fair enough.