Vehicle Battery acid and my Trailblazer

My tenant car battery has died for the past two days. I told him the first time a i jumped his car, he thought it was his gas lines since he was empty. I told him that clicking noise when he tries to start it means bad battery. So he just let car sit idling for a long time and was able to pull the car in to the driveway. Low and behold this morning, his car wouldn’t turn over so it was pushed in the street. While I was shoveling excess snow from my drive way, he asked me if we can try and jump start his car.

After 15 minutes of trying, it didn’t work. I told him I was going to Napa to pickup a complete break setup for my trailblazer and he is welcome to come along. He didn’t have tools to remove his battery so I loaned him some tools. He removed the battery but had to use a hammer to get the last bolt removed (this is where the problem was). So he placed the battery on the concrete and used 2-3 plastic bags. I noticed it was still wet, which I thought it was from the snow on the street and sidewalk. So, I had a wool blanket in the car and I wrapped the battery in it. When we got to napa, the battery pretty much exploded acid all over the trunk area in my Trailblazer, pretty much burning all the areas of my carpet. (burned through the bags and blanket)

What options do I have to get this fixed because I am one of the car enthusiasts that babies any car even if it is a car was a POS? I know the dealership will rape me and I know I can file a claim through my insurance company.

I am just wondering if someone knows somebody that might/will be able to fix this problem for me at a fair price.

Thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270679179216&viewitem=

I did see that when I looked but that is just the cover, not actually the carpet. There a door attached to the well.

No idea how to fix this cheap, but just wanted to give you a heads up as to why you’re in this mess to hopefully keep you and anyone reading this safe. Never wrap a lead acid battery up in plastic like that, especially one in questionable condition (but really, even brand new it’s a bad idea). Batteries have systems in place to recapture vented hydrogen but when the battery is failing (or you have to beat it with a hammer to remove bolts) those systems tend to fail. When you then wrap this hydrogen venting battery in plastic bags and a blanket you’re making a rudimentary bomb.

Look at it this way, you’re lucky you’re only replacing the interior of a trunk, not spending the next year getting agonizing skin graphs on your face and arms.

Have you done anything to neutralize any acid that is leftover in the vehicle?

Shit man, yeah follow what JayS said!

+1 to his +1. FYI when they say to use gloves to R&R that stuff do it. It fucking SUCKS getting acid on your hands. It is a burning sensation that just does not go away.

neutralize the acid so you don’t get burned working on it. How does a insurance claim work on something like this? You might make a call to your agent and see what your options are and how it will effect your policy.

go douse it with baking soda asap… it’ll keep eating, and eating…

Never knew the “don’t wrap it in a plastic bag.” Good to know.

I didn’t know that either, good to know.

Buffalo Auto Wrecking on Hertel has a gray interior TrailBlazer or 2, they’d probably sell you the stuff fairly cheap.

Thanks for all the information. I never knew what we did with the battery was bad. Now I know to spread the information.

The only thing ruined is the carpet in the back area. I am trying to think what i want to do since I believe that the OEM carpet for the trailblazer is one piece from the front to the back.

Does anybody know any custom upholstery places because I am think about transforming the carpet area in the back to a rubber material. Any ideas??

Again thanks for all the info. I did use the baking soda and warm last night to neutralize it. Never knew that!!!

---------- Post added at 08:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 AM ----------

Getting some ideas
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm?singlepart=1&AddPartNumber=12497720&partnumber=12497720

you could probably go to the junk yard and cut a piece of black GM carpet and just replace the section or like you said just get a rubber mat to go on top of the damage

I want the carpet gone, it pisses me off so much knowing what stupidity caused
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Custom-Rubber-Cargo-Mat-02-07-Chevy-Trail-Blazer-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5d235526abQQitemZ400024741547QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I’d leave the carpet in there and just put that on top.