vendor review - Slow Boy Racing - Total waste of time & money

the story begins back at the beginning of summer. my friend pat purchased a nice load of parts from SBR, the turbo arrived just fine, the DSM link showed up just fine…

but the wrong manifold was EVENTUALY shipped, which Pat promptly returned. they shipped a mani for an external WG, pat is going INternal. Them manifold he received was 2 months late as it was, and i tried to convince him to sell it & purchase another mani from a different company. i was quite sure that the proper one would again take forever to arrive

pat decided to be honest, and shipped back the $600 mani and waited for his $500 mani … the proper manifold never arrived … it was always “2 weeks away”

the O2 housing pat ordered didnt show up till about 6 or 7 weeks ago. it arrived looking uglier then sin in a black dres on her wedding day. it was sent back for REPLACEMENT because of HORRIBLE weld quality, and because of MISSING welds. SBR instead welded up the missed spots, hashed at the inside of the pipe w/ a grinder, and shipped it back

the result was a $300 o2 housing that looks like an $80 ebay unit. the only salvageable part is the lower flange, and possibly the open dump tube… everything else is scrap due to horrible welds and the lack of backpurging / solarflux during the welding proces

after many attempts at refunds, SBR wouldnt budge, and insisted on a 30% restocking fee on this horrible 02 housing

a few other things that came up during the phone calls

if you have a complaint, they intentionally ignore your emails and phone calls

SBR employees ADMIT that “some people at the company dont care” about quality or customer complaints

SBR farms out work to Fab companies of unknown quality when they get to backed up

after many phone calls, and many emails, they wouldnt budge, and it was decided that a charge back thru the CC company would be the best bet

well today is the last day of the 4 week wait period. the manifold price and o2 housing price are now PERMANANTLY refunded to the credit card. we still have the o2 housing, and its legaly ours because SBR NEVER responded to the CC company about the issue

i will be chopping it apart to retrive the lower flange, which will be machined down and flipped over for use on the still-to-be-fabed replacement

i might also save the dump tube, or just donate it to Hybrid connections for future use

the o2 bung wing be hacked out and thrown in the lathe for use as a WBO2 bung on the new downpipe …

honestly, i just feel like hacking the remains into tiny pieces with my chop saw … lol

PICS: would you pay $291+ shipping for THIS ???

Geez, why are there so many shady car part companies??
Thumbs up to free parts though.

What did they use to weld that coat hanger???

looks like its used

looks like I welded it… :bloated:

def not quality welds.

ive used slowboy a large number of times for parts and im right in the middle on my opinion. most of my items have arrived on time and in great shape, but for a company that does the volume of business that they do, they have way too many errors in shipping and product quality. i purchased 2 of the same product from them on 2 different occasions(the g series turbo oil feed/return kit) and the first time it was perfect but this most recent time i needed to drill out the flange and provide my own hardware for it to work. up until this past year i would have given them a 9/10 but their customer service and quality over the recent months has brang it down to a 6/10

btw, i have a ssautochrome dump that looks much better than that sitting in my garage… that is ridiculous that they would send that out like that

That looks like McGyver welded it with a nickel, 2 D batteries and a roach clip. WTF is up with all these shady companies that have come about inthe last 2-3 years?!?!?!

McGyver is sweet!!

… and I thought the AAM test pipes that look like my grandma welded them while drunk, blindfolded and with an arm behind her back looked bad… damn, that SUCKS quality wise.

are those the test pipes that are now just sitting on the bench at hybrid that Lee showed me ?

if so … holy shit … worthless

that part looks worse that china parts… but it also looks like it could be salvaged… if it fits okay clean it up and use it.

what car is that for anwyays?

Indeed they are.

Well, I am sorry to hear of your problems. Sucks for both it had to be resolved that way.

Pffttt… if McGyver welded it like that it would be spotless. And not only that but 10 times stronger than the material he welded it too!

its for our frends 95 tsi

the pics dont do it any justice on how much of a pice of shit that thing really is, nick before you cut it up, we should charge 5 dollars for everyone to come get a look at what not to buy :lol: make some money off it first :lol: you should also post up the tape recorded conversation you guys had with SBR

its not salvageable, besides all the technical reasons that its crap, theres one more reason … the sheer embarasment of having to admit to people that it cost $300 for such a piece of shit

if it was an $50 ebay peice, id have no prob using it & telling people where its from when asked … because its “only $50” …

bump for the spring rush :slight_smile:

If anyone needs, Slowboy is literally 5 min walk from my dorms. If you want me to look at something before you buy I’ll be happy to help you out.