VR6 timing chain???

this is the first VR6 i have ever dealt with and i’m starting to hear a little noise in the engine(timing chains) i was wondering if someone would be a good sport(that knows about this) and tell me if i should worry about getting it replaced or if i have some time to hold it off without fucking anything up??? somebody, anybody…

how many miles are on the car?

67,XXX

they are supposed to be better in a 98, from what i’ve heard

um, let me consultant my bentley when i get home… i think right around there is a service point though. chain, guides and a few other things need replaced

mines in my back seat, i wish someone could listen to my motor and lemme kno

take it to a shop!

The VR6 timing chain is known for making a clicking/ticking sound. It doesn’t mean it’s ready to fail. I sold my 95 Jetta VR6 with 98k miles… the chains made a slight noise for the better part of those miles. Nevertheless, it’s hard to speculate without hearing your engine.

exactly what i want someone to do…i just don’t want to deal with problems like i have my last 5 cars n get er done b4 i have a shitload of problems

I can take a listen if you’re ever close to the city.

is this bryans car?

cool i would love to see your S4 <-the car i shoulda saved money for

nope, car is from MD

hybrid guys, know anything about this??? can i come over and you guys can take a listen???

I’ll listen to it for you if you want to drop by my place sometime this weekend. 67K is a little premature, but you never know. '97.5 was the changeover to the newer-style tensioner/ rail and upper (single) chain. Some cars go 200K with no problems, others fail before 100K. Some of it is luck (good or bad) and some of it is maintainance (good or bad). If you do need chains, it’s a pretty big job (removal of trans, etc.) and should only be done by someone who is familiar with VR6’s and knows what they are doing.

cool man just wanna be safe not sorry i got a busy weekend soo i will send you a PM on monday i’m probably just overreacting but i want the value of this car to stay high and not turn into crap…thanks Josh

No problem-- when you’re ready send me an email @ <<mmorris@chainconnection.net>>.

will do thanks man

i thought chains were around 90k or 120k or something

^ That’s about the expected life for the “average” VR6. It’s not set in stone. I’ve seen 'em go sooner than that and a lot later than that.

take the vr6 to mark, he will hook you up.