Vr6 timing chain

Hey Im going to change the timing chain on my uncles mid 90s vr6 passat tommrow. I took a quick glance at it a few days ago and was wondering if im going to have to pull motor. It looks like that cover goes down into the tranny. I dont understand why they would make it like that but… anyone know

there is a diy tread on www.vwvortex.com forums. check it out.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1264409

hope this thread helps.

Thank you that was very helpful

you need a plate to hold the cams in place,

ie he getting the guides too?

That DIY thread is pretty good, but if you have any other questions I’ll be happy to answer them. Get Bentley manual for the car before you start.

Make sure you replace all the clutch/ p.p. bolts when you put them back on the car (torque to yield). For obvious reasons it’s also a good time to replace the clutch if there is appreciable wear.

You should get the cam locking plate-- it’s only a few bucks and makes life easier. Also make sure you replace all the guide rails and the tensioner along with the chains. When installing the tensioner, fill it with oil so that there is pretension on the chains when you start the engine for the first time after the work is done. You don’t want to wait until oil pressure reaches the tensioner on initial start- up or you run the risk of letting the chain jump on the sprockets due to slack chain.

You’ll also need a new upper intake manifold gasket and valve cover gasket too. Be careful with the portion of the headgasket that is sandwiched between the upper and lower timing chain covers. If you really booger it up when doing the job you’ll need to pull the head and replace the headgasket in order to avoid oil leaks in that area.

Good luck.

mark morris is the MAN!!!

good info.

Ha, ha-- thanks Sonny. Just finished an Audi A6 V8 timing belt job last night. :ugh2: :bigthumb: