WARNING: do not purchase from...

So as 99% of you know, my TT swap was hell, and is still hell, more as of today…and i’ve been meaning to do a write up on my experiences with Z1Motorsports.com (a “highly respected,” well known, big time distributor for new used and oem parts for the 300zx na and tt, 350z, and g35) for a while now, so here it is…

i was recommended to them a while ago, and since then, many horror stories have come about regarding their products, and i happened to be one of those horror stories.

Before purchasing anything from them, i did a shit load of homework and knew everything i would need just about, and went to them because they carried everything i needed, new aftermarket and OEM and used…i figured buying from them all at once, they would cut me a deal, and they did…they knocked about 200 or so off of my final price…and were also willing to take an additional 400 off of the price because i had no use for the auto tranny coming with the clip, so i told them i would sell it back to them…alright, nice guys, right? WRONG!

they assured me ahead of time and all of their motors, including JDM motors, are compression tested, run for hours, and leakdown tested…

they also told me that they have on average 60k miles on the motor or so…

we get the engine weeks later than expected due to problems with their shipping company, only to find this:

bone dry coolant lines, mostly full of debris and rust…so it couldnt have been run or leakdown tested…

cut…not broken, not torn, but cleanly cut, injector plugs…also proving it could not have been run, or at least not well and with all cylinders firing…

the engine harness was TRASH, i had to get a new one later down the road, another $365…and this is what finally got the engine running right, or as right as it could…6 months into the project…

one of the intercoolers had a hole in it, they sent a newer, in good shape used one with the engine, and they did tell me ahead of time that one had a hole and that the clip was coming with a newer intercooler, but still, if they ran the car, everything wouldnt have checked out ok with boost leaking out like a mofo from that huge hole in the intercooler, about the size of a quarter…

newman did a compression test before the motor was in, and i just did one today, and the motor is beat to shit…

no milky oil, so it’s unlikely that it’s a head gasket…but damn were the numbers off…
i only got 4 of the cylinders done before i got too cold (no indoor garage space to work) and began to run out of light…but what i did read was about 120 to 125 psi for cylinders 1, 3, and 2…and about 102 psi for cylinder 5…4 and 6 i didnt even get to, nor did i care at that point…

i talked to a friend with a tt zx and he said his motor was good with between 145 and 150psi across the board…

i really dont know what i’m gonna do, at this point i can not get rid of the car, i have too much into it, and can not afford to cut my losses, if i do put it up for sale, i will not get enough back for this car to buy myself something i can use for a few years ,and it wont be for at least 5 years that i will be able to afford a new vehicle, i live paycheck to paycheck working part time, and i’m in the midst of my 3rd of 7 years i will be attending at canisius college…which is expensive enough on it’s own…

i was planning just pulling the motor and working with my cousins and friends on doing a rebuild, but when every cylinder is significantly low, i really dont know where to start or what to do…and i really dont want to have to get another motor and be the next chino, even though i think i already am…

but i think that pretty much concludes my rant, Newman i’m sure will voice in his beef with all that went down too…

FUCK YOU Z1MOTORSPORTS.COM!!!

/ rant…

By the hammer of Thor…

thats shitty, if i were you i would be on the phone with them trying to work something out

it’s their word vs mine…i wont win, there’s no legal contract any where…and if they ever had it in writing all these things on their site, they have since taken it all off…

ive said it before, ill ay it again

just go give the place the “good ole hybrid” treatment … get the shit you need, im sure they have another engine layin around :slight_smile:

:tdown: thats gay…you did not revieve any reciepts with anything you got? that is actually very illegal and considerd fruad, call the better buisness burough (sp) and they may investigate.

well rebuild kits run like for 100 bucks. get all new gaskets and go form there. to know what ur getting into ur going to have to tear it down. somone around here once told me if u cant afford to fix it when it breaks,u shouldnt buy it.

a complete engine gasket kit for my car is closer to $250…

i can’t just go get what i want, they’re in Georgia…

and i will look into that better business burough bullshit, they never did give me any kinda receipt with it, and when i asked them about it they said the only receipt they give is what shows up on the credit card statement as the purchase made, which i thought was bullshit but what could i do…

cliffnotes?

Sounds like you may have some valves not seating properly. Maybe coked up w/ oil from bad turbos. Best thing is to do a leakdown test. That will give you a better idea about where the pressure is escaping to. It’s pretty rare for the rings or cylinder walls to wear. Sucks that you have to go through all this on what was suppose to be a “good” motor

i do have an occasional valve lifter tick, and i have a write up on how to take old worn valve lifters and make 'em like new, and i have time to do it now, but the car is parked on the side of my house, covered up, surrounded by snow, and i have no garage space to work in…

the tick is occasional, it’s not always there, and it’s never that loud…

what totally puzzles me though is that every cylinder with the exception of one can read just about the same, and all be off by a lot…it’s just wierd, can’t be coincidence (sp) that they all have about 120 to 125 psi…

and how do i go about doing, or getting done a leakdown test? how much? details?

You need a leak down checker first of all. I have one. The cylinder your checking needs to be at bottom dead center and both valves need to be in the closed position (flat portion of the cam lobe)

jeff is the local nissan god :slight_smile: haha

Z1 was good when Ash was there, I bought several things from them new and used… but since he left, they’ve gone way down hill… They even registered Ash’s name as a domain name to get his customers on their site. :gay:

It’s too bad since they have so many parts cars still.

God hates Z1 and their widebody TT vert…I bought some stuff thru them back in the day but nothing major, but how are you just finding out your motor is junk now? Havent u been driving the car for quite some time? Pretty much every motor place i know, reputable or not gives at most a 30 day start up warranty so its been way over that? Whats the full story here?

wait so you got shitty comp test numbers and still put the motor in your car

we didn’t run the compression tester until the motor was in the car. When it shipped it shipped without a trans so i couldn’t hook the starter up without bolting the transmission back up into the clip. The motor seemed a bit fucked up and i told andy. We discussed it and decided the best option was to install it in the car and go from there… That z1 place SUCKS as far as i am concerned…

holy shit.

lawsuit? misrepresenting their product:

they assured me ahead of time and all of their motors, including JDM motors, are compression tested, run for hours, and leakdown tested…

that’s what you paid for in good faith, not what you received. what was the total spent?

it’s their word vs mine like i already said…and i just got the chance to do a compression test yesterday…and i think they did offer some warranty on the engine, but it took them a month to ship after payment had already cleared due to “problems with their shipping company” and after that it took about 5 months to finally get it drivable…even if i had done the compression test as soon as the car was “done” i woulda been way past any warranty they offered…i wish there was a way i could get something back outta this, but if i go to the better business burough about not getting or being offered a receipt, they can deny it…if i go after them for misrepresenting the product, they can deny it…even with newman as a witness as to how bad it was, and a certified mechanic at sears auto that saw my fucked up coolant as a witness, Z1 can still deny that they ever said it was good…

there is no written record of anything concerning the quality of the product…i’m fucked to the best of my knowledge, unless there’s some law buffs on here that might have some useful info for me…

sounds familiar, i’ll tell you right now, you’re fucked.

either bite the bullet and buy another motor, or get it rebuilt, or sell the car

do not try to hassle with shitty motor vendors, all it will result in is huge headaches and homicidal tendencies.