Ways to increase fuel milage ?

Okay… I know the whole fuel milage thing has been talked about like, how many kms do you get city/highway and then compaird to say KA or SR etc BUT what I want to discuss are ways of increasing fuel milage when you already get decent - good milage… is it possible to sqeeze out some more ?

I currently get 500km a tank easily which is based on say 400km city and 100km expressway… If I were to go on a road trip then I could easily get up to 600km.

Setup now is an SR20 with a T28, Stock Injectors/Regulator and a Walbro pump. The O2 Sensor I’m using is the one which came with the SR from Japan and I’ve already put approx 30,000km on it.

Only ideas I have come up with myself just thining about it breifly are…

1. If its running Rich (I dont know the A/F ratio) leaning it out would save fuel so slightly increase milage perhaps ?

2. Get a new O2 Sensor and hope it doesnt read as Rich resulting in less fuel being used ?

3. Remove the Injectors and send them out to be cleaned/flow tested etc and hope with the cleaning that the milage goes up (which I dont think will happen)

So yea… Anyone think it is possible to get some more km’s out of it ? if so… please feel free to share your input or comments

Jefro, have you got your lower engine shroud on there?

make your self a fancy pants (aluminum) belly pan for that beyotch

of course its more possible… tune it.

There’s a guy on one of the 240 forums who has 400whp from an SR and he got 194miles on HALF a tank cruising 80mph for the journey and at the end doing 100-120mph runs. I have the video on computer.

that must be one exciting 2.5 hour video.

LOL why did i even bother posting that. This forum is for a grocery go getter crowd who needs to drive geo metros with chrome rims.

I would very much post the video, but hey, what do I know, it might make people realize I say only things that I’ve seen or heard or experienced that are actually or potentially good, and you know i have nothing to gain or lose from sharing. But hey, why bother if bitches will flame.

hey jeff i found a shop in town that will flow test injectors for $3 each, and if they need cleaning will clean for $24 in their ultrasonic thingy majiggey…

most i got on stock turbo / injector SR was 625 all 401… didnt even hit the E yet either… could have gone alot further.

that was also with leaning it out a little bit on an SAFC.

if you have a wideband you can do it properly for your highway cruising speed.

Right now with the 650’s, 2871R, AEM i am lucky to get 500… but then again… i cant really contain myself for a whole tank of gas either

Gut your car

Put 50 pounds of air in your tires

Take out the power steering

change your O2 sensor

^ do what he said plus a tune up, and drive slow, or go 10ft behind a trailer and start drafting. It’s a technique used to lower coefficient drag, very risky.

Car is already gutted and I’ve also got lightweight Rims… I drove all of 05 without PS, not going back there

As for a tune… I already have a wideband + safc2 just havent installed either since I already get decent milage and the car runs fine so I havent made it a priority yet but I guess thats all I can do now to try and sqeeze out some more km’s

if the car is running fine then dont put anything on it… you’ll likely just mess it up.

when you get bigger injectors and a larger turbo and a Z mafs… then use the stuff to smooth everything out.

when my car actually ran with all that stuff on the mafs and safc i was able to hook up the wideband and use the SAFC to keep my highway cruising AFR’s at 14.5 - 15.3 pretty consistently. It made for over 500km’s to a tank on 550cc injectors with some moderate tom-foolery here and there.

i never got around to fine tuning the decel air which would have, or should have, cured the dieing on decel issue.

http://tornadofuelsaver.com/272/tornadofuelsaver/tfs.php?PHPSESSID=f2b99d2dd34bf4cb98fcbfd6136b0a82

get up to 15% fuel savings while increasing ur HP

This shits the real deal, it made my geo metro go from 85hp to 98hp thats a 15% increase in power and i got over 700 to a tank compared to 600 on a tank before

EDIT: If you want to do this the cheap, be like spike_sr20det if u remember that guy. Grab a computer fan and stick into ur intake lmao

oh man good times!

Well Im not sure what Im going to do with injectors… like I said, Im on the stockers now and running 8.5psi has them @ 98% duty so really I should either upgrade them or turn the boost down, I just have no real desire to turn the boost up which is why I havent got injectors yet…

I plan on installing the wideband a.s.a.p so I know if its running rich and how bad and then go from there I guess… depending on how much I can fine tune out of it then I’ll have to throw on the Z32 mafs because the stocker is almost maxing out…

I have my BOV vented to atmo was well but I dont have any idle issues or stalling problems but re-circulating it would eliminate the rich spike when it does blow off so I guess that may also help fuel milage slightly…

Change your oil out to something with a lighter weight. Go with a synthetic if you dont already run one. They can increase gas mileage by as much as 10%.

get the TURBOMAG… its a STRONG magnet u place on ur fuel line before the injectors…

helps a lil in emmision, fuel milage and power aswell… 10$ cant go wrong…

thats another good point, diff+tranny fluid,

but, jefro, my points were more towards reducing your drag coeffient,

slam that S13, (although you probably already have.)

I do run synthetic oil… 10w30 for the engine and the 75w90 or whatever that the FSM recommends for the tranny. I will be changing the diff fluid when I swap out rear ends next week thou… and I havent changed the diff fluid since I’ve owned the car so that may help as well, hah!

As for slamming it and reducing drag or what not… the H&R springs dropped it like 1.75’’ and it aint going no lower.

Thanks for all the input thou guys… I may try a thinner oil 5w15 or just see how rich it is and hopefully be able to lean it out quite a bit.

Search Hypermiling in google.