300kms to the tank..

Sohc 210 *** kms…I always get black smoke coming out of the tailpipe when i floor it…Lots of carbon on my tips…constantly cleaning them…and i get a max of 300kms to the tank. Im at 176kms and im between 1/2 and a 1/4. its got a warlboro FP for future plans…doesnt leak ive replaced the fuel sending unit and sealed it…unless its evaporating somewhere? The odd time ill smell gas in the car after booting it. Unsure as far as what to look into…Injectors? any help appreciated.

your probily running rich

is your 02 sensor any good?

I replaced my O2 sensor… I was getting about 450km / tank…

now I get 550…

General Maintenance should improve your fuel economy. I’d look at Spark plugs, fuel filter, O2 sensor and a bottle or 2 of Seafoam.

I was thinking 02 sensor as well…everything else has been changed…i stayed away from the seafoam and engine clean products…i hear sometimes they do more harm then good on a old engine. After the old O2 sensor comes out im sure it will be broken and ill need a replacement on hand…thanks for a the quick responces. I also get a LOT of backfireing…sometimes 2-3 pops letting off the gas from 3000rpm…

i sprayed a can of seafoam through the IM … car was belching back smoke for a good 5 mins. It runs good now and i improved my fuel ecn too . maybe u should give that a try.

Seafoam can be detrimental when used on a high mileage engine because it may clean some of the carbon buildup thats keeping the engine from burning oil. I would say 80% of the time it is very helpful but there are cases where it is not recommended to be used. What I would suggest is getting 1 bottle of seafoam and dump it into ur fuel tank the next time u fill it up, that may help a bit.

I am guessing you used the Seafoam “Deep Creep” ? I have not used that product as of yet, I have only used the engine treatment product. I have found it to be very useful running it through a vacuum line into the intake manifold. It works extremely well when you suck in about 1/2 a bottle through a vacuum line on the IM and then shut the car down for about a minute and then start it back up and there will be a huge cloud of smoke but the car will run noticeably smoother. After that its good to take it out around the block pushing it a bit hard to get out the excess seafoam.

i dont know what its called , but its similar to the engine revitalizer that is sold in Canadian Tire… It worked great for me , i also have 250,000 + on my KA.

i wouldnt mix anything in the fuel or oil though , had bad expeience with my previous car.

hmmm, ive never had a problem with seafoam in the fuel or oil. I would recommend if u do put 1/2 bottle into the oil do drive it hard for about 20 minutes and then change your oil.

yeah, I’m average mileage per tank fluctuates quite alot. But lately, I’m not even hitting 450km. So this seafoam works? anybody tried it on the sr20det?

^^^^^haha stay out of boost!

my k-car was “borrowed” while I was away and someone took it to work and compained over the phone it sounds really high and it won’t go over 85… well I immediately knew it was in “2” not “D” and the stupid pin in the guage is bent and off center…

anyway it sounded like a lawnmower after that… I checked compression 120psi on all cylinders, which for a 9.5:1 is pretty low but still workable and consistent… I dumped in a half can of seafoam in the oil halfway thru an oil change interval and I immediately noticed the compression go up, you could hear how much tougher it was to turn over, and it sounded different, not as harsh

I left it like that for another 2300km and it was good, the next time I changed the oil it went back to feeling loose and angry, not that I mind, after some point I had to redo the valvecover gasket so I got to see how clean everything is including the oil splash shield (where you’d normally find crust)

and about the only “problem” I have is the pcv making a mess from the extra blowby… and the timing is slightly erratic (timing belt must be stretched to hell… but its a non-interference engine so I’ll drive it til it breaks hahaha)

I used the other half can in my Z after firing it up for the first time in a year, ran it for a total of 2 hours over the next few months, and I changed the oil back to cheapo nugold … I haven’t used seafoam since

Ok put in a new O2 sensor and noticed little improvement…Do i need to reset the ECU?..smart idea to do so? easyest way to do this is unplug the battery and leave it for a while? The cars sitting right now as i break in my beater and make sure its fit for the snow…which also doesnt appear to get much better gas milage. What else could possibly kill my milage… :evil: Could the cold air intake have much effect as the MAFS would pick up more air going into the engine…but 240kms to the tank is BS and i run 91 for the hell of it…Timing on the car cam advanced but i turned it back looong time ago. sudjestons please…ive only ever let a shop do a rear brake line because i was stressed after replacing gas lines, fuel sending unit and the pump…i plan on keeping it away from shops if i can manage just as good of a job for less money.

did you check your coolant temp. sensor? If it’s not working properly, the ecu will constantly run your car in “warm-up” mode… throwing more fuel in there…

that’s easy to replace and pretty cheap as well

:frowning: That was changed a few months ago…couldnt be the temp sensor…

you know what i did some highway driving and i got 280km to half the tank! thats a frickin record but all i did was highway driivng (a lil enthusiasm but very little). Mostly cruise control.

I wonder if i could hit a high 400 when its to the bottom…

clean your injectors

I had them out…inspected them and they appeared to be fine…how do i go about cleaning them other than usuing injector cleaner stuff in the gas tank?

I know you said you checked your coolant temp, but I’d check the replacement one.
What is happening with your sohc is the same that happned with mine.
I was getting 300km or less to a tank highway, and running stupid rich till the point of flooding sometimes. In diagnostic mode, the ecu was throwing the coolant sensor code,
replaced it, and and everything was back to normal (also had to replace the o2 sensor and spark plugs from all the carbon fouling from running so bloody rich :?)