Wedding Thread

Getting married next year in October and currently looking at a few places for Wedding/Reception.

Looking for reputable photographers, bakers, etc. Pass me on some recommendations. We’re not looking to go over the top and have the best of everything. Probably looking at doing some sort of Sabres Theme.

110-120 Guests

I had signature entertainment for DJ, FCI Photography for pictures, and it was at Glen Oaks. All highly recommended.

FCI seems to be reasonably priced. My cousin and her husband spent like 4,000 after having a half off coupon thing. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu that.

Yeah they’re really good too. Husband and wife team. Photography is all they do. Primarily wedding photography, but they do other stuff too. The Bills hire them to do the Buffalo Jills calendar every year, business promo stuff, etc.

Is Micah still in the area? I don’t think he does weddings but possibly engagement pictures.

FCI was great!!

save yourself tons of stress and money and run off to the caymans and get married there…then come back and surprise your family…then have a simple reception.

Thought about Vegas in January (so I could go to CES as well :D)

We’re going with Nickel City Studios for our photographers (getting married this July). Take a look at their website to get an idea of their stuff. They’re another husband and wife team, very down to Earth, good people. As for our cake, we’re having Sweet Beginnings Bakery on Delaware Ave make it. They are cousins of my best man but that’s not the only reason we decided to go with them. They bake some really good pastries and whatnot. Lastly, we’re having our wedding at the Avanti Mansion in Blasdell. Seems like a really nice venue. Our whole ceremony and reception is being held outdoors there but they do have a brand new indoor facility as well. Initial impressions are just so-so right now with the wedding planning and working with them. Hopefully the end result will be great, that’s all that will really matter.

edit- We haven’t even finished all the planning and I’m already with LAFENGAS, should have just eloped lol. Would have been so much easier.

Wow, I am getting married in October too and you haven’t reserved anything yet? I thought I was behind schedule.

October 2012. We have about 6 places lined up to “interview” with. We’re off to Joeseph’s today to check it out. The timberlodge was really nice and the pricing was good too.

I avoided traditional wedding vendors at all costs, but honestly we were also avoiding a traditional wedding…

Our ceremony was in my parents gardens, so we basically just rented a tent and chairs.

We paid a friend for photography, had a cousin do our music/DJ, and held our reception at a local bar/restaurant (The Century Grill) during their slowest time of the year.

We had Chow Chocolat do some of our desserts, and we were very happy with them.

Transportation was my '75 Laguna.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4080/4929587359_a50f33198c.jpg

My advice - don’t be afraid to go with “non-traditional” options, there are much better deals to be had than the places that cater to weddings.

We had a student come in who works at Chow Chocolat, thank us with some stuff from there…Very Delicious.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/BrownBuffalo-Photography/96938610806

ive shot a couple weddings with matt, does great work. he also happened to shoot my sisters wedding as well.

tell him luke sent you.
heres his email: matt@brownbuffalo.com

We used Carriage House Pastries on Elmwood Ave. Our cake came out great and was really good! (You can ask Mike or Mel about that!)

Our photographer seemed good at first but ended up being a d-bag. We met with the owner of Everlasting Memories and he said he’d shoot our wedding since we booked him two years ahead of time. He didn’t for whatever reason. Also we offered to pay for everything up front and the guy said to just pay for the photographer and proofs, and pay for the albums after the wedding when we picked out our pictures. He also said he’d have all our shots up on his website no later than 3 days after the wedding.

Well after the three days went by, we started calling and emailing him to find out what was going on. After leaving messages and shit, he finally got back to us and said that people who pay for everything up front (ceremony and reception photographer, proofs, and albums) have a higher priority than someone who doesn’t order albums right off the bat. My wife and I were stumped. This same asshole told us not to worry about the albums until after the wedding. Having our pictures up quickly was important since we were leaving on our honeymoon shortly thereafter.

The photographer who took our pictures was a nice guy and did a great job. Too bad the company he works for sucks.

Our reception was at Kloc’s which was fantastic. Great food and venue. They definitely know how to do weddings there!

Bobby, how was Kloc’s priced? My cousin’s wedding was last summer there and I liked the spot but it seemed pricey.

We’ve been to the Timberlodge, Joseph’s and Samuels so far and it looks as if Timberlodge will be our place. We are finishing off looking for venues on Tuesday with Banchetti’s (sp?) but might make a few more exceptions. Florist I think we have set, now just need a DJ and Photographer, keeping in mind the suggestions so far. Keep em Coming.

mike centrola does photography and videography

We are going with Paul Van Hoy for our wedding in Rochester.

He does travel and we really liked his work. He has done two other friends of ours’ weddings and their pictures came out great. He is very good at capturing the moment, not just the typical wedding pictures.

Since most of the rest of our stuff is in Rochester, that doesn’t really help you much.

An important thing to look for in the photographer is that you get full rights to all of the original full-sized photos. Make sure they are going to provide you with a disc that contains all of the pictures.

If you can, look for independent people that work for themselves. A lot of times if you hire a bigger company, they just contract out the actual photographer. Then you never know who is going to show up and how good the photos will be. With the independents, you can see their work, get to know them and ultimately it will make for a better experience. Photo and video is the only way to visually look back on your wedding. You’re gonna want them to be top notch.

lol yeah be careful with photographers. Anyone with an SLR and a business card can and does call themselves a wedding photographer lately.

I.E. lakeview photography. They’re terrible. My wife actually edited our friends’ pictures for them for use in their “professional” album because what Lakeview gave them was so terrible.