what oil is best?

Exacly. If you don’t change your oil for 25k miles your an idiot.
I use Mobil one 10w-30 and I change every 3k km.

Royal Purple i find to be great, bout a buck more than mobil 1 and it’s a TRUE sinthetic.

I felt noticible gains in my bro’s jeep when we did the tranny/dif/transfer and oil change.

Shifts felt much better and in the cold the shifter never stiffens up now.

some car salesman gave me this amsoil pitch saying that the car i was interested in was running on amsoil since day one… which than he made it seem like the engine was gold when really the car was totally abused. but thats what made me curious about this product. :?

regardless, of that testing, Mobil1 is STILL a GREAT oil. the key is to develop a routine.

Always change your oil (PERIOD, DON’t WAIT) Always change your filter.

more frequent oil changes don’t necessarily hurt. pick a number 3000, 4000, 5000km’s based on driving habits/conditions. if you live on a dirt road, do it more frequently… if you drive like a grandma, wait until 5000.
more hwy miles? go right in the middle.

if you use the better stuff, use if for the rest of your engine’s life, don’t switch back to the cheap stuff just 'cuz you want to save a couple bucks. this is true even if you’re going to change your oil again VERY soon…

and don’t use synthetic during the first 5000kms of a new engine breakin.
change the oil 2x with a good grade of regular oil during that time.
synthetic lubricates TOO well to allow the engine to breakin properly.

I use Valvoline Synthetic in my 240 and haven’t had ANY problems, she runs great.
I use Mobil1 in my Subaru, and it is also doing very well.

My 240 has about 205k on it, and I’m about to change my oil. Should I run synthetic?

how often should u change the filter… necessary to change evrytime u change oil?

not necessary but highly recommended

couple things - the most important part of changing your oil filter, is to replace that copper washer that nissan will provide to you, if you get your filter there. but you should change the filter with every oil change (they are less than $10, and i thought i was poor).

:wink:

someone mentioned Lucas treatment earlier. I used the tranny treatment (with redline fluid) and it works great. a little easier to shift, but my gears grind on a rare occasion (especcially getting into reverse). i’m hard on my tranny, and my whole car in general, so the fact that my KA is still running is a gift. my boy put the motor treatment in his q45 and loves it. I got a leaky crankshaft seal, so i’m gonna hold off until i plug all my oil leaks (just cleaned my motor off, and the weather is better now, so it will be soon). and i used pensiol full synthetic diff fluid, that i noticed a big difference, even though my old diff fluid was good still.

i’ve been using mobil 1, 5W-30 grade, like the owners manual says to. Only thing is, on the bottle (with the blue cap) says for newer vehicles. now, there is the green bottle, which mobil one claims is for higher mileage vehicles, but is 10W 30. think its safe to switch to the green bottle, and are any of you guys running that stuff? I have over 200K on my motor, thats why i am asking.

Any high performance syn oil will do they are all basically the same, besides you should be changing your oil well before the mileage anyway.

Wow… lots of Mobil 1 fans here, but how many of you actually know that the Mobil 1 you buy over here is a different formula than the one in Europe. I talked to some lubricant experts before in an Autoshow, and they say they use a different base for the synthetic oil (a lower grade).

I have heard good things about AMSOIL but never use it. But here’s one more choice to consider … MOTUL. They have two different grade, the 8100 series and the 300V series. The 300V series is basically the best you can get for performance. I have a lot of friends used it and got addicted and never change back.

In terms of the 5W30, 10W30, 10W40, 15W50 … They’re all fine depends on your application. There is no best choice, each has up and down.

What Oil? Depends on engine KA Engines will run just fine with regular 5W30 10W30 Oil , If you have an SR engine you should get 15W50 since the oil breaks down from the heat of the turbo and very soon you will find that your valves become a litle louder than usual. Syntetic or non-syntetic? A lot of experienced Mechanics will tell you to stick with the regular Oil or to go to Semi syntetic in an older car (all the high mileage Oils are non syntetic oils). Filter replacement with every oil change? YES I would never change my Oil with out changing the filter. What is the oil going to help you if you still run it trough a dirty filter. You are better off changing the Oil and the filter every 5000km and go with regular chaper Oil What manufacturer? Here is a tough question some are litle better than others but nothing signifficant. I know if you use castrol It tends to leave deposits on your Engine (valve cover). So it would be wise to do an Engine flush once in a while now you can buy the engine flush at CT or like many shops use ATF fluid which has a lot of detergents inside. My opinion is buy the bottle every 3-4 oilchanges will not hurt you that much. As for Lucas Oil additive i can only say good thing about it. My company car is a Trailblazer that has a oil pressure gauge and i wanted to test the Lucas Oil Stabilizer. The results are : I gained some oil pressure about 30Kpa the Oil pressure at its maximum at about 1500 rpm instead of 2200rpm the Engine run much smoother and I could not hear the valves on a cold start during winter. Again SR ppl on the bottle it doesn’t say turbo approved. so maybe contact Lucas before using it.

Forgot to mention one thing, you guys should be very careful about oil additives. You never know what’s in them. Most manufacturers have already put certain additives in their oil, putting extra additives could possibly do more bads than goods.

MOTUL hands down!!

http://www.motul.com/home.html

This is one of the only oils and fluids you can buy here that are the SAME fluids used in many race cars (American lemans, Japenese touring, ect…) The oils we buy here are mostly made by Imperial oil in the states and are re-branded for companys like Mobil 1, Quaker state, Castrol, ect… We think we are getting quality stuff, but like always we don’t.

how often should our fuel filters be changed? where is it located? can i buy a filter at CT? and how much?

every 30,000km or less depending on driving conditions.

Consult FSM for exact details (see FAQ How-TO) and download your FSM!

Filter is located: Passengerside inside hood. (where the strut tower is)

Disconnect Fuel pump Fuse.
Start car and let it stall.
Turn over 2-3 times more.
Clamp hoses (top/bottom)
unscrew, disconnect, put new one in,
clamp hose’s on, put fuel pump fuse back in. (Note, make sure the pressurized side clamp has 3mm clearance from the edge of the rubber, please read your FSM)
go.

Mobil1 OR AMSOIL

Can’t go worng … but if you have the Extra CASH go for Amsoil i ran Amsoil in my SR all year around …

Castrol RS …10W-60 … the best i ever tired… ~

if your burning oil, stick to regular motor oil rather than synthetic. my sources tell me that synthetic burns quicker. post reply if you can confirm this. but somthing to look out for.

what about tranny fluid?

what do u guys with sr20’s have in there? :?:

i use royal purple 10w30
the tranny works great with MT-90 redline in it and the rear end in my VSLD is alot tighter since i put 75W-90 redline oil in it. no more girnds and it is soo much smother