What should I Do?

Here’s the story, so about a month or so ago i rear ended a car. I wasnt going very fast maybe 20 kmph as we just left an intersection. Long story short i tap this kid, so we get out and look at the damages. His car has a few paint chips missing from where i hit the right side of the bumper. As i look at the 95 intrepid the other side of the bumper has missing paint from a previous accident and the car was in horrible shape. Kid says its his parent car and he just want my license plate number and my name and number. So i give him these things, we both agreed no cops involved. I said let me kno the damages. So i let it go and we drive off. I get this call like 25-30 plus days later about some estimates he has. So now im in the position “why did buddy call me so late” did he back into a poll or crack his bumper doin something and now thinks he can foot the bill to me. No report was filed and no insurance exchanged. Does he have a case against me since it was long ago. And if the rear bumper was already damaged and missing paint before i hit him, do i have to pay for that damage as well? Id be willing to pay for half of the bumper being repainted. Would that be fair?

Anyways let me kno what you guys think.
Thanks in advance

iether way you would have to pay for the whole bumper places wont paint just half a bumper it will look ghey so you would have to pay anyway bc he might not have fixed it before but he can say he was going to and that means you made it worse so you have to pay its only gonna be like $200 thats what it is at the biggest most pricey shop in peterboroguh

i think you have somthing like 24 hours to report a accident

its been a month

ur in the clear

werd, no police report = fuck em

how much is it?

in the interest of good karma, or just being a decent dude, you may want to give him $100 or something… or have someone paint the bumper for $200… a shade-tree shop will do that.

it is true he cant do shit to you, but in that situation he saved your ass by not calling the police. had he reported it you’d be fuckaroo’d yourself.

bing has a conscience?

weeeeeeeeeiiiiirdddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd.

not entirely true, it doesn’t have to be 24hrs to file a report.

I called in just to make sure and they said even a week is fine. There is no definite time frame.

pretty sure its 72 hours…

estimates… like how high…? i did the same thing to some dumb broad who stopped for a green light, $200 to paint a corolla bumper and remove 2 screw impressions.

Im not sure of the esitmates. I havent spoke to him on the phone yet. It has just been phone messages. But a month later??!? Whats this guy tryin to pull?

Yeah the rule is if you hit someone offer cash to outside insurance. That way if they are being resonable, you can either help them or if they are being greedy fucks you can drag it out and tell them to go away. With no legal repercussions.

If someone hits you…never go outside insurance! Go report it at a collision center immediately. I’ve been burned twice trying to be a nice guy.

Why does it have to be withing 72 hours though? Anyone have a credible source for this?

I’m sure if it was within a week and they report it and make a big fuss, something would happen right?

Id understand a week. Im not a bad guy, but like a month later come on. It makes me think he hit somethign else. it doesnt take that long to get estimates. My cars already fixed, he has had more than enuf time to contact me.

pretty sketchy move on his part

I’ve been hit a couple times and tapped people as well.

a women hit me when i was driving my moms van in university. i did call the police, but i reassured her that i was only interested in the police report so that she couldnt tell me to F-Off… and that i would give her the opportunity to cash it out and i would not go through insurance.

i even signed a hand written agreement that i wouldnt go through insurance. she gave me $250 or something, it was a light tap on the door, and i didnt say anything about it afterwards.

its not a matter of a conscience. It’s simply understanding that going through insurance benefits no one if you can handle it in cash. Heck, it even costs the insurance company money.

insurance comapnies do not want you to make small claims like that. They would much prefer that you just get the car fixed with a small cash deal… that is half teh reason for the deductible.

it costs an insurance company anywhere from $500 - $1,100 just to process a file no matter the size of the claim. They want to avoid that wherever possible. There are successful retail collision repair models based on the fact that insurance companies dont want to deal with small claims

Id say screw him lol. A month later? What was he doing for a month before he decides to call. Plus there was damage on the other side of the bumper from a previous accident. How many accidents does buddy get into? Sounds like he scams ppl when he needs money lol. I wouldnt of been surprised if his parents were just like whatever. I dunno tho sounds pretty fishy.

You guys are douches. Shit box or not if you hit someone and are at fall then pay the man. Hell if the situation were reversed you’d all be posting how you are getting ripped off by some shaddy kid that hit your shitbox 240. Not everyone makes it a priority to go to the shop and get an estimate right away.

I understand if they are trying to rip you off but this doesnt seem to be the case. Unfortunately, I dont think youll be able to pay for half the bumper its a shitty deal but I would man up and pay the whole thing. Lesson learned, what where you are driving.

Im with you on this Dave, small or large accident report that shit no matter what.

agree with you 100%

Like he said, in the end, it was an at fault accident. He could’ve screwed you over by reporting this but he didn’t. I’ve been in the same situation before…actually from both sides, and I can tell you, I didn’t mind handing over the cash when it was my fault, and likewise I got cash handed to me when it was the other guy’s fault.

Just learn from it…pay more attention at the wheel, as we all know by now…the smallest little accident can always be blown way out of proportion. It’s better to nip it while it’s still small and be done with it.

i dont wana read everyones reply… to long and im to tired…

its been more than 72 hours since the accedent. they can no longer investigate (they can only do it 72 hours after)

so there for they cant lay any charges

via its nobodys fult

thus finnaly fuck the kid you dont have to do shit.

his fult for taking so damn long.

buy him a spray bomb can of coulor match if it was only a nick or 2 in the paint, that or give him 50 bucks and call it even.

So i get a phone call from his mother today, not the kid. Even know its her car the driver should be involved. Anyways, she says she has an estimate for 700$. Im not stupid there was paint missing and maybe alil need for some filler. But the damages do not total 700$. She said that if i argue with her shes calling the police. So told her “call em then” an she hung up. So should i be waiting at home for the Police to show up or am i safe. Can some one tell me if this 72 hour stuff is true. Is there anything she can do legally to get me? She says she has a witness, but we both drove off with noone around, meaning no one approached the other driver to offer witness because i watched him drive away. He was with a buddy, could he be the witness i thought they had to be un bias for a true witness.

Anyways thanks guys for the replys