What's this noise????

A noise under my car started a few weeks ago. It’s like a metal on metal noise that goes faster when I go faster. I thought it was the driveshaft. I took it to a shop, they said yeah, u-joints are bad and the DS was loose. Work done, drive off down rt88 and noise still there. Take it back, they look at it. It seems like it only does it when I’m on the gas. They said it sounds like the noise is coming from the middle of the DS and maybe the DS went bad. Like something broke off inside. So I buy another aluminum DS off ebay, through it in real quick, and the noise is still there. Now $300 later, I at the same place where I started. What do you guys think it could be? I took it to Monroe on 88. He said he had it on the rack while running and didn’t see the DS hitting anything. Maybe he missed it. That’s what it sounds like though. Like the DS spinning around and hitting off something. Again, the noise speeds up as I speed up. Any help or Idea’s would be appreciated. Thanks.

did u check the rear brakes?hang on a lift the rear end is droped,so u may not here the noise

i agree with pewter here. sounds like something in the brakes to me. probably something dumb like a dust shield or a squeal tab. and try to go somewhere with a drive-on lift, like an alignment rack so they can get the car up in the air and still pick it up by the axle so that the suspension angles don’t change when it’s lifted.

The noise is really only there while the gas is engaged. If in N cruising, no noise. The manager at monroe said when he had it up, it sounded like the noise was coming from the middle of the DS. I haven’t driven my car in weeks now because of this.

my buddy had the ebrake cable rubbin the DS for months on his TA and drove me nuts til one day it it rubbed a nice ring through the DS and split it in half

Ok, I jacked the car up today to try to see if I see it hitting anything, and it’s not. At first I thought maybe the sound was coming from the rear end, so I topped off with lucas dif fluid, and noise still there. I even put the car in N and spun the wheel while under to see or hear anything, and nothing. Didn’t even hear anything now. I also notice that it clunks a little going into gears. I’m kinda leaning towards the TC now. It’s a vig high stall tc that I bought off here from someone last year. If it is the tc which i’m not even sure yet or would know how to find out, how does their warrentee work? Let me know what you guys think? Even with the noise putting the car in gear. I noticed also that while the car is in Reverse, that the noise isn’t there. Only in all the forward gears, OD,D,2,1.

tranny mount? like it allows the tranny to torque up in the air… and then the driveshaft hits something?

mine is having a similar sound problem. but it sounds like a clicking noise while im on the gass and it seems to come from the driveshaft also.

torque converters shot man.:hs:

i have a 94 camaro and its been making some noises lately too. Its only when I am on the gas about 2500 rpm in each gear. As soon as i get over that hump it goes away. When I am sitting in drive it also vibrates a little. im thinking its the catalytic converter vibrating when it gets to a certain frequency. havent really took a look at it yet though.

Can anyone recommend a place I can take it to, to have it looked at?

i’ll check it out but im in mt.pleasant,pm silverlt1ss he lives close to u,maybe can look at it!

or http://www.1st-try.com/

like flyinglow said check your tranny mount. take a pry bar and stick it between the tranny and crossmember and pry down. see how much it moves. my tranny mount was rotted on the side you couldn’t see and the side you could see looked perfect. i had vibrations on the highway, banging noises and all the other noises that they can cause. also check your tranny fluid, sometimes they can make noise when there a little low. if u want i can take a look at it for u, just let me know. if u think your DS is rubbing something, look for rub/scrape marks on it.

maybe a bent output shaft

Silver, I may definantly take you up on your offer. I don’t know if this helps, but today I took the DS out and put the car in drive and got on the gas and NO noise. Could that rule out tranny or TC problems? What do you guys think?

eh, that wouldn’t necessarily rule out a tranny problem. without the ds in, there’s no load on the trans, such as it would have when driving. maybe find a midget to tape under the car and listen while you drive it? wish i could help, but it’s about impossible to give good suggestions without seeing or hearing the problem in person.

let me know