wheel shake at 90km/h +

alright i just got some used tires and i put them on yesterday. i put a pair of dunloop sp sport 5000 in the front, 195/50/16, and some michilan hydro edge 225/60/16 on my stock LE rims. i went on the highway and i had horrible wheel shake at 90km/h +. i checked the pressure and on all fours they are 32-34psi. they were all balanced and etc. i had other tires on before but were winter tires and had minimal wheel shake. some ppl say its normal to have a little wheel shake for winter tires so i guess its normal.

so im asking, would my tires be warped? how do you check for warped tires? or do i need to get an alignment done since i switched tires and rims? the last time i had an alignment done was with 15" steelies (would that make a difference since i have 16s on now?)

it drives totally fine under 90km/hr

thanks for the help!

I’ve had troubles with some shops counterweighting my wheels… take it back to the shop and get them to re-check it. You shouldn’t have to deal with any wheel shake at all, with any kind of tires - the cheap ones might need 2lbs of lead to offset it… but they should be smooth.

Do you feel the shake in the steering wheel or in the rest of the car?

i feel it mostly in the wheel, but sometimes i feel it at the front of the car, near the pedals and etc.

i know my car is stable since i have ran other wheels before. could it be like you said the balancing problem or maybe warped tires? im sure my rotors are not warped or any other suspension setups that could cause a similar situation.

Could be bad rubber. Sometimes irregular wear occurs and you have bad high and low spots causing vibrations.

I would have them rebalanced just in case but did you buys these wheels dirt cheap??

im no mechanic by any means so this is just word fo mouth.

i had a similar problem bout a year ago with one car. shook on highway at 100 km +

someone told me that there could be a problem with the steering column,
some sort of joint (cant remember the name) that could be de-tached, loose, snapped, ect ect.

dont know how credible this is.

^^ i don’t think that would apply with my situation since i drove on the same rims with worn out winters and there was minimal wheel shake (which occurs with all types of winters, so i heard) so im not sure it could be that bad.

and yes, these tires were dirt cheap lol

so maybe they are bad rubber, and i should also have them rebalanced since a friend did it and im not sure if he knew 100% what he was doing. he might have put the weight not exactly at the center, becuase i remember seeing a few numbers like 5 and 7 when he balanced it, so i think he didn’t center the weight directly at 0.

could be that as well, ill soon find out tho.

hopefully it isnt bad rubber cause they are pretty beefy.

try pinpointing which wheel is causing the wheelshake and take that wheel off and switch it with another wheel. If this solves the problem the wheel could have been put on a bit offcenter. This happened when i put my 7 spokes on. it almost felt like my wheel was ready to come off on the highway but not soo noticable around 50-70kmh.

i wish i could test them but i only have 1 set of rims. ya i have the same problem, i thought my wheels were going to fall off. not noticable at all at 80km and under.

99% sure your wheels were balanced improperly. It’s happened to me on several occasions since I’m always throwing crap tires on, and they’re never warped 'cause i triple check them before deciding to put them on.

Get your balancing re-done, it should solve the problem, assuming they get it right the second time. :lol:

how do u check for warped tires?
is it clearly visible or something?

allot of the time a new set of tyres will also point out some alingment issues… or it could be something as simple as you had some weights come off… Regardless the first step is to go back to the tyre shop and get it checked…

You’ll usually be able to see little bulges where there arent supposed to be any… mostly visible on the sidewall if it’s warped. on the treads though, it’s pretty hard to see… check on the inside of the tire for any irregularities before you put it on, etc etc.

you should be able to tell just by looking carefully enough.

I call the weights. 90% of vibration problems at work are from tyres that are unbalanced for whatever reasons.

I had the exact same tire/wheel setup and I too had the shakes at 90 KM/H.

Might be bad rubber? or like everyone agrees with and I, bad balance.

does anyone know where i can get my wheels balanced for cheap, not like 15bucks a tire becuase thats wayyy too much imo lol.

thanks for the help guys!

weight was off 2oz and 3oz. big enuff difference? i think so. time to test it out tonite!

thanks a lot for your input! greatly appreciated.