Where to get Quaife Installed?

Thanks for the help. I guess its just a matter of finding a Nissan dealership that will install a Quaife. The only ones that come to mind are autoplace, Niagara, west-herr. I have been told by many to stay away from mike barney.

They offered a viscous LSD as an option in 02. IMO, this should’ve def been standard on the se 6spd.

OK, well when they give you a price estimate…please let me know what they want.

:picard:

Careful…next, all questions posted in the tech section will be locked for responses and the OP can receive answers via PM only!

E-mailed innovative and interprep. Innovative cant do it. No response from interprep as of yet. Interprep’s website says nothing about internal transmission/diff work, but I suppose he could do it and not advertise the service.

Im gonna poke around a few dealerships and see what they say. I suppose a possible alternative when going to the dealer is to see if they have a nissan helical lsd that could swap in. Probably less than the quaife, but im guessing it wont be as nice, unfortunately, I think the maxima only had an optional Viscous LSD, which i dont even think would be worth the bs to get.

Thanks all.

Sorry we can’t help you on this one. We know enough to know that without the right tools we shouldn’t be doing this kind of internal transmission work. We could put it together and seem fine but as Ishodu posted your ring and pinion may not last if it’s not done just right. We’ve done similar work on one of my cars and it worked, but don’t feel we can do it at a high enough level that we’d put our name behind it.

Another reason to trust Inn-Tune: Mike’s smart enough to know when he could be in over his head on something, instead of trying it regardless.

:clap: to you Mike.

GL on the Quaife install, they’re worth it.

I appreciate your help and honesty. I just got off the phone with Alistair at Interprep. He told me that he has alot of experience with Quaife installs on VW/Audi, and mentioned some of the special parts required to do those swaps. He would prefer for me just to bring him the tranny and the quaife, and he’ll swap it although if I wanted to bring the car down and have him do everything, it will take a few weeks to free up space in the shop. I went on maxima.org and found install directions along with required parts including bearings, spedo gear, and seals which total near $200. Either way Im going to have to go to the dealer to get the parts, when Im there, Im gonna get a quote on an install. To be honest, and nothing against Alistair, I think Id rather have the dealer install it rather than going to the dealer to get the parts and then finding enough free time to get down to jamestown to get it swaped by a mechanic that hasnt worked on a nissan. If the dealer wants a rediculous amount more money than what interprep quoted, than I may just bail…

here is the directions I found: http://www.vqpower.com/v2/readarticle.php?article_id=52

That would be no problem…Almost identicle to honda installs. I would however honestly look into bearing sizing and get rid of those shitty taper bearings all together and just get the straight raced ball bearings. Those taper bearings have been the death of soooo many honda transmissions. Also, you probably don’t need a new speedo ring gear as the old one on the stock diff can most likely press right off with an ordinary shop press. Remember what you posted earlier about quaife sayin “fit and forget”? That is a pretty accurate saying with your type of tranny. fit and forget and do a few measurements to be sure you have proper shimming. Absolutely simple install.

edit: I’ll quote you $250 for labor total if you bring me the tranny. Obviously parts you need will be extra (which would include bearings, I should have no problem reusing your speedo ring gear…and for the seals, theres a really good chance they’ll be perfectly fine and don’t need replacing unless you butcher them when removing the axels from the tranny) actually 200 total for the parts listed also seems steep. Those type of bearings are typically ~40 a piece, seals ~12 a piece, so maybe that speedo gear ring is just really expensive from the dealer.

edit X2: I would also promise you 90% of the “techs” at the dealership have never installed an LSD for your application and will do a shittier install than what I can offer.

I would have to disagree with your bearings info, the tapered roller bearings take way more load than ball bearings. Only thing is they have to be shimmed properly or they won’t last. Looking at those instructions, its quite a bit different than the way I did mine. I had the ford diff tool. It came with some spacers that went on the seal face of the tranny case, and a spring tool that was placed in were one of the cup bearings were to go. Then you torqued down a the bolts that came with the spacers, this compressed the spring tool. Then I measure the lip on the spring tool this gives the required shim size.
Just a note as well, ask who ever does your tranny what they plan on using to seal it up. If they say RTV just walk away. If RTV is used the excess will end up inside and will clog oil passages and cause damage to bearings or synco assemblies. The correct stuff to use is anaerobic sealant, it only drys when there is no oxygen present. It will stay soft and gel like as long as its exposed to air.

RTV ftw.
Way too much internet/horror story hype. Not to say that the sealant you reccommended isn’t better (It may be, and maybe I should make the switch, I’ll look into it seriously). But When you have ripped apart and resealed ~100 transmissions and used RTV on EVERY one with zero problems, then you can say just walk away from someone who uses RTV. Horror story hype drives me crazy.

I hate the internet. Intakes add 20 HP on 100 HP motors and puck clutches with a sprung hub are “unstreetable” for the daily commute. This world is full of unexperienced people when it comes to cars and mods.

Thanks, but I really need a total “turn-key” install. Im looking to bring the car and the quaife to whomever I elect to install. So this install would be removing tranny from car, swapping diff, replacing tranny in car. This is my DD, so turn-around would have to be rather quick (couple days).

Im not really in a hurry to get this done. In fact, Id like to wait until I put my new summer tires on and see if traction is still that much of an issue. I just went out for a ride today, first time driving with the snow tires on and above 55 deg. and they grabbed really well, hell of alot better than the original all-season bridgestone’s. I can only assume equal or better traction in warm weather w/eagle f1’s.

Done if needs be. I’d quote total job estimate at $700 all said and done. May be cheaper if tranny is a snap to get off and on. I know you’ve gotta be getting quotes in the $1000+ range so let me know.

Andy’s work is top notch and $700 for all of that is a really good deal…he only charged me $500 to do my clutch when I had the cobalt…everywhere else was close to $1000…I highly recommend him!

That sounds Great! Its seems as if your work as a mechanic has had a positive impact on the people who have posted in this thread despite me calling you a chump—sorry about that.

I guess what I need to do now, is get the required parts from the dealer. The maxima forum in which I found the directions posted above had a list of required parts, but my concern is that they were working on a 00-01 maxima w/5spd tranny rather than what I have (02 6spd), Im not sure if that makes a difference or not. If it doesnt make a difference, then I can use that list to get the parts I need. Andy, please let me know what I should get/not get. Id hate to not buy a part and have you get stuck in the middle of the job without the part you need. Ill give Quaife a call and see what they know about required bearings, seals, etc.

Also, Talked to Quaife a week ago or so, they have my diff in stock and ready to ship. Quoted me $1230 plus shipping from the UK.

when you talk to quafie I would try emailing them the how to you have for the 5 sp and see if it matches any notes they might have on reccord.

Yea, Ill probably give them a call and make sure that what their going to give me is going to work. Their catalog shows a diff for a maxima but does not specify for which generation and when I sent them an initial e-mail asking them if it would fit my specific model, they said: “Thanks for the enquiry, I have attached a dimensional drawing of the diff listed for your car so you can
[LEFT]check. It is a direct swap with no non standard parts required it is as we say ‘fit and forget’ with a life time warranty. The part is in stock for immediate delivery price £625 plus carriage.”

Im not to comfortable with the “here, you check” response to my question of if it will fit, so when i call them again, Im hoping to get a firm “yes, it will fit”.

[/LEFT]

I can promise you will not be disapointed with a quafie if you do go through with it. I have driven a SHO with one and it really does transform the way it corners comparted to my open diff car.

i had one in my 91 sho back in the day… great upgrade.

Brian