Why are you into cars?

yea… I grew up in a 86 300ZX. Bout the only thing Dad ever did for me. lol. :cry:

Honestly, if I were deaf, I don’t think I’d ever have gotten involved with cars.

There’s just something about hearing a high hp/large displacement/high revving/etc motor cruising past me that gives me goosebumps.

Just one of many reasons I could think of.

^Didn’t you start out with a DSM??

lol

The old man and his customs.

I have a strange fascination with anything mechanical/electrical.

I suffer from the knack

When I was a kid my neighbor had a 1970 “monster” Bronco and a 280z.
He was always working on them and I was the little kid bothering him.
My other neighbor was a brilliant engineer who talked about how great european cars were.(it was the 1970’s)
What I learned from these two neighbors became an obsession.

uh, yeah?

edit- actually, no. I already had 2 mustang gt’s before I bought either of my dsm’s.

Aight.

I enjoyed what little bit of autocrossing I have done, and I will get back into it sometime in the future, because it’s a ton of fun and because if I go too long without a competitive outlet I start to get all antsy in the pantsy.

Maintenance & troubleshooting type of stuff takes my mind off of any real problems or stressors I might have. And I love problem solving.

Motorcycles are the big one though. I haven’t had a bike since 2002 :fail: but if I just shut my eyes and remember riding along lake road through apple orchards back home in Wayne County, or along Seneca lake to Watkins Glenn and back up the other side just because I had a free Saturday afternoon, all my troubles just melt away. It’s my happy place. :happygilmore:

There’s also the social aspect. I’ve made some great friends through the years via shared interests and activities that involve cars and bikes.

:lol:

My mother owned some sweet cars as well.

I worked at the Ford plant and am an mech engineering student as well.

nvm, i misread your post… as to include all of “high hp, large displacement, high revving”. DSMs only fit one of those. :stuck_out_tongue:

If I had meant to describe a dsm, I would’ve used commas.

Hence “misread”

I got into it because I like to modify things. It started with my PC and then evolved into cars. I finally realized that unless you have a large disposable income, it’s not worth it because other parts of your life begin to suffer. I have an addictive personality so I went too far with it. Now I won’t go back to it until I am more comfortable finanically so I can do it right.

Not really sure why i like them soo much, I do know that car was the first word i ever said and that i had about 500 little matchbox cars when i was a kid.

There just an awesome machine, theres soo many different ones out there with different styles and features.

Because I love to drive. It started young with matchbox cars, then RC cars, then bikes, then 4-wheelers, then cars. I love to autocross but with limited free time I just can’t justify 7-8 hours for <5 minutes of racing. After one track day I was hooked there but the costs are higher. Cost when related to seat time is actually much less than autocrossing though, but you lose the direct head to head competition.

Having cars repaired at a shop was too expensive so I learned how to fix stuff myself. Even now that I make enough money to have it fixed I still do most of my own work. Because:

1. You can never have enough money. What I saved in doing the shocks on the Expedition myself last weekend will pay for plenty of gas for several trips out on the boat this summer.

2. I’m a software engineer who is solving virtual problems with code 40 hours a week. I get a real sense of accomplishment by going out and solving a mechanical problem with my hands and tools every now and then.

3. Somewhat related to 1… I don’t like getting fucked. When the shop tells me the brake job will be $600+ and I see $200 in parts and a little over an hour of my time I get an uncomfortable feeling in my backside. Sure, being a mechanic is a skilled trade, but it isn’t a $400/hr skilled trade. If I’m paying a pro $400/hr for something I at least expect I’m going to be doing the fucking.

they are something to spend money on
and if you treat them good they treat you good back
and i like to go fast :skunk:

Hah. That’s what initially planted the motorcycle bug in me. My Mom, Dad, Grandma, and Grandpa all rode when I started riding. We used to go to the Finger Lakes BMW club’s annual rally at Watkins Glen every year. Nothing like waking up in a tent to the sounds of BMW motorcycles idling around.

:lol: I’ll always be able to tell the difference between an R bike and a K bike in one note!

if you treat them good, they break and make you spend more

WTF: “Why are you into cars?” As in, present tense, amirite?

Or is it, “Why did you get into cars?”

the adrenaline rush that i used to get when i was younger hooked me. now, i dont really know why.