Winter Driving

I’m looking to drive my car this winter, and I’m a little concerned with my coilovers (Tein SS). I’ve heard some rumors about the cold/ salt ruining your coilovers, can anyone shed a little light on this subject. And also how did your SR manage during this time.

My car was Ka auto with winters last year, I can say I managed to get through the winter with ease, but I am a little worried about this year’s snowfall and how the car will react with modifications.

coilovers get fuct up from the salt, i would not recomend it, it will ruin the threads/collars over time, but if u mush do it make sure u wash the shit out of the car on a regular basis and u will be ok

buy stock suspension. winters are harsh on coilovers.

like he said, the salt wreaks havoc on the threads. the dampeners on most coil overs aren’t designed to work in negative temps.

i had a set of D2s that were ruined pretty quickly when i winter drove them a couple years ago.

the megan racing coilovers on my subaru have been on for 4 winters now and they’re starting to make noise now but still perform nicely… they need to be replaced but 4 winters and many tens of thousands of kilometers on a set of $1000 coilovers (or whatever) isnt bad imo :wink:

on that note, i do not condone driving on coilovers in the winter, buy stock suspension

if u had an s13 i would GIVE you the stock suspension just so u wouldnt ruin them , my car is going to storage soon

^^ wanna sell them to me instead? :smiley:

winter driving that kouki? NO!

last year i had to winterdrive my s13. Just rustproof the underbody, throw on some sick tires (if you can find them nokia hakkapeletta). 20 lbs of weight in the trunk and you’re set. be careful though, surface rust can become a bug hole in just a month and a half. which is all the winter driving i did.

keep washing the car.

hey man, my car was 100% rust free three winters ago, and now i need new rails, towers and body work.

DO WHATEVER YOU CAN TO AVOID DRIVING YOUR CAR IN THE WINTER.

i drove my sr powerd hatch with my megans coils and trac, toe etc… last winter the only place i got stuck was in my own driveway.

my two cents
oil coat the car…
and anti seize the coilovers and i mean all over the threads.
and a good set of winters.

try to buy used stock suspension for the winter!! coilovers will get wrecked!!

good set of winters and easy on the throttle. SR or KA shouldn’t matter, its all in the driver :slight_smile: my car has an SR and a good set of winters and never got stuck in the winter. as for coilovers i dont know :frowning:

i will be winter driving my SR Kouki with Stance coilovers… i bought almost specifically as a winter car actually.

you will have a problem with Tein becuase they are notorious for rusting anyways because Tein sucks.

Chris has been driving on STANCE non stop for 2-3 years through winters without much maintenance on his STANCE with no issue.

No matter what coilover you use, re adjusting in spring is gonna be a bitch cuz they will most likely need to be removed to be loosened up…
always use ure stock shocks and springs in the winter, no matter megan, tein, stance or any of them , they will not last as long…

For those people like you julio that have dished out 1700 bucks on brand new Teins, they know the ride quality and handling is amongst the best you will find, so take care of them so they last u a good 5-6 years, do not winter drive them,…

I’m going to be winter driving my kouki - with eibach srings & stock suspension…shouldn’t be too bad…

Unfortunatly I cannot afford a winter beater nor stock suspension. I already have winter tires from last year. I was just a little worried about the coilovers. I have no choice were I live. Walk or drive thats it…

And a little info, military bases dont use salt, so Ill be good for that. The question is the cold?

I’m sure someone will give you stock suspension for VERY cheap if not free.

OEM Suspension is dirt cheap, Winter tires is a MUST…ya I said it. Get those you can drive it if you take it easy on the clutch and throttle.

yeah i sold my stock suspension complete for like $150…

Question:

I have all seasons up front right now and summer mustang tires in the back (that’s what the car came with)…I plan on getting rear winter tires only - anyone have experience with that?