WNY Autocross 5/6 NCCC

I hosted an “Intro to Autocross” dinner a bit back for people who had never attended an autocross before. We covered everything from what you can do before an event, to what to bring, to how work sessions go, etc. For those that couldn’t attend, I did a write up of what we talked about. This is geared towards FLR, but most of it can be transferred to WNY as well.

You can read it here: http://roclife.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1073439&postcount=103

awesome little write-up. thanks Silver

[quote=“boardjnky4,post:82,topic:28538"”]

awesome little write-up. thanks Silver

[/quote]

:word:

Alright - I am going to give you the secret to autox…

Ready?..

Find someone that has been doing it and stick with them. They will tell you where to be at what time, and what you need to do. If you don’t know ANYONE there, I can pair you with someone willing to help you out. Just let me know at registration.

N-sts cool, always good to see some dubs, i wana check out your car :slight_smile:

[quote=“Silver,post:74,topic:28538"”]

Make sure your helmet is snell rated…

[/quote]

I’m pretty sure DOT rated helmets are acceptable for Autox, along with Snell SA and M.

Here’s a fun question: rather than pay $100+ for a tube, I rolled my own cold air intake tube out of 3" PVC. :mamoru: :gay: For fear of not passing inspection for some reason and/or ridicule, I should probably toss the tube and just clamp the cone to the MAF (as I did all winter.) Agreed?

Here’s the ghetto fabulousness in question:

That pic reminds me, my battery is secure but that junction box on top of it isn’t. I better strap that down…

EDIT: That CIA leaves no question that you’re an engineer. :lol:

:word: But only because common sense would tell most people not to do that.

[quote=“Garick,post:86,topic:28538"”]

I’m pretty sure DOT rated helmets are acceptable for Autox, along with Snell SA and M.

[/quote]

As per what JayS posted, nope, just a DOT sticker won’t do it.

[quote=“BikerFry,post:68,topic:28538"”]

Thanks guys. I’ll probably pop a couple more n00b questions in here shortly. Or maybe just walk down to Potocki’s office… :stuck_out_tongue:

[/quote]

And since you mentioned it, he’d be a good person to ask what would or wouldn’t pass tech, since he works tech.

awesome event, i had a ton of fun and everybody was n00b friendly.

to those on here that i didnt introduce myself to, im Tom and i was driving a 93 sentra se-r(red). 44 nsts

if u see me next time stop over and say whats up.

i think i recognized ppl on here and def. said whats up to a few of them

just got back - fun fun fun first time out in the miata. def. a lot to learn compared to fwd

Beautiful day for an event.

Was it a fast course?

^ Yes and no. The big straight made it’s return, but the grip was the worst I’ve seen there. I heard a lot of comments like, “It’s like driving on dirt” and, “Did it snow just before my run?”. It seemed to be getting some better as the day wore on, but I bailed at 1:45 to go watch the game.

GO SABRES! Bye bye Rangers! :slight_smile:

Yeah, the course was fun, the straight and turn afterwards was awesome, but the grip was the worst its ever been. It did start to clean up towards the end of the day. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that place eat tires like it did today though.

Any pictures?

Yeah, I noticed that the shoulders of my tires took quite a beating today. I noticed what a cheese grater surface it was walking and figured it was going to be hard on the tires.

yeah, i thought it was just that the tires on my car are sorta bald. that one turn right after station 2 got me good a few times, right where the road surface changed.

That was the most fun I’ve ever had with my clothes on!

Thanks to everyone for being so friendly! I don’t think I was out of my car before Cassie came to say hi. Then I went home and bragged to my fiance that I met a blonde that races a Porsche with pink wheels. :lol: Jay I think you gave me whiplash! Riding in your car was an absolute blast! Thanks for all the instruction. Nice meeting everyone!

Funny how I thought I wasn’t going to like how my car handled but once I got into it, I figured out that the car’s handling is a lot better than I am… Meaning that I’ve got a lot of practicing to do before I’m limited by the car rather than my skill. My brakes on the other hand just kind of suggest to the car that it should consider slowing down if it feels like it…

My pictures are uploading right now. I didn’t use the zoom because I was just snapping off random shots so most of them are huge pics with a little car in the center. I don’t think you can get full sized pics off of yahoo photos so if anybody wants a full sized pic just email me jfry1982@adelphia.net

41 pics and not a single one of me in the sentra? :tear: