wont go into gear. plz help

ok so i baught an 89 coupe and am currently fixing it up. im not driving it yet cuz its not insured. now this morning i go to pull it into the shop and it wont go into gear. it was fine yesterday but not today. i checked my master cylinder to see if i still had some fluid. and it was full. looked under the car to see if the slave was dripping and i couldnt see anything. now because its in a parking lot i can test out all the gears but when i was able to drive it and shift it would grind into second when i would try and shift. it only wouldnt grind if i shifted slow. so my question is. is it a clutch or could it be my slave cylinder isnt fully disengaging. also the guy i baught the car from had it sitting for a long time.

i believe that ur tranny

its not my tranny cuz i can shift into gears when not running

something with your clutch, if you need to get it inside push for a bit till its rolling nice then put it in first, then start the car while rolling when you get inside take it out of gear and shut it off (you may have to feather the gas a little to get it out of gear before you shut it down)

i had similar problem…its the clutch… i know that on mine the springs on my clutch shattered and the clutch was always engaged so you have to roll and start it in first gear

before you go throwing away money,bleed your clutch first. Its more likely that the fluid has absorbed moisture so the slave cylinder does not have full travel to disengage the clutch fully .

maybe a fork or pivot cup, but then again it wouldnt go into gear. but just some things to check.

my 240 kinda does this, i just gotta put it into 3rd, 4th or 5th first then it goes into 1rst.

Kind of like how with hondas cable trannys you have to go 2nd then 1rst