XENONS FOR S14

hey guys,

i have a question…i have a 98 s14 and i want to convert the headlights to H.I.D’s. i know the projectors on the headlights are the low beams and the light beside the projectors is the high beam.

should i buy seperate H.I.D’s for my high beams and low beams or should i jst get a bi-xenon for my projector headlights?

you should not cut corners and not put HID capsules inside projectors meant for halogen bulbs

do a retrofit using the proper HID-intended projector assembly

do you mean i should replace my headlight assembly?

where can i get a “proper HID-intended projector assembly”

thnx

Only get HID lights for your low beam (H1, single beam) - and aim your headlights waaaaaay low. Don’t waste your time/money on putting HIDs on your highbeam. Don’t bother with bi-xenon.

it basically involves taking the projector part from a TSX or A4 or S2K or whatever other car came OEM with HID projector lamps…

and putting -that- projector into your headlamp … behind the stock glass

you basically trim the reflector part

look up HID retrofits to get a better idea of what im talking about

ive said this 1000 times before and most people dont give a shit anyway… but you should at least know about the proper alternative

HID capsules are meant to sit behind projectors with optics designed specifically for HID

oem 240sx projectors (the actual projector unit inside the headlight assembly) are meant to be used with halogen lamps only

icic…spd-dmn u make sense.

optics are important…i will definately look into it!!

then if i fix my projector should i go with bi-xenon? i drive up to my relatives cottage and hi beams do help…what do you suggest?

also do you know the bulb size for a 98 s14 headlight assembly?

would the size of teh bulb change after doing the conversion?

Yes the bulb for a HID projector would be different. OEM manufactures started new bulb sizes for HID’s ie: D2R, D2S, D4S, D1S

Ive never seen or heard of a H4 or 9006 HID bulb unless its aftermarket…those are all halogen type bulbs. So if your going the retro route…try to get the OEM bulbs and ballast with the projectors, if not some aftermarket HID companys sell HID kits for vehicles that came factory with HID’s but your options are a little more limited.

Chuckles this would make more sense to you:

http://www.phihoang.com/s14hid.htm

thats what you need to do!

exaaaaaactly!

and for the high beam you can use whatever the hell you want… since youre not supposed to have those on around other traffic anyway, it doesnt matter what you put in it

for the best highbeam light output, though, my suggestion is to still use a high quality halogen bulb that’s on the lesser side of 5000K

dont kouki headlights have projectors?

Yes they do but they are only meant to emit lighting for halogen light bulbs.

True that the kouki have projector headlights, however, after trying MANY bulbs, diagnosing all my connectors and harness (all were good) - I was still very unhappy with the output of the halogen bulbs and the projectors.

I’m confident to say that most kouki owners will attest to the same. Though I did not do the retrofit, I did what most kouki-owners did, which was throw HID bulbs into the projectors…and most important, I aimed my lights lower not to blind oncoming traffic. The cutoff is not quite as clean as an actual HID projector retrofit, however, I wouldn’t say it’s blinding to the point of sticking HIDs in non-projector housing (worst thing you can do, in my opinion)