Yeah, so its the "i need a new job thread".

Just a long rambling rant… i’ll solve my woes with a few labatts but post them here first.

Things are pretty good, got a nice pad in west seneca, sportscar, gas guzzling sporty pickup truck, live in girlfriend thats great, etc.

The bad part is my 830-5 job is busting my nuts, and killing me from the inside out.

I took the job as a temporary thing, but now its been six months with no end in site.

I have a computer science degree, i’ve gone on probably 15 interviews in six months, and been offered two 8 dollar an hour jobs, and one that started at 8.50 an hour. I seriously spend at least 60 minutes of my workday applying for jobs on every site known to man. I have to go hide in the back to field calls on my cell phone at work so i don’t get busted.

What the fuck is going on here?

I had to call into work today, for the lone reason that i would seriously flip out on someone and get into trouble if i didn’t.

My daily grind by the way is selling pallets of broken electronics on ebay for a mismanaged company that just recently moved into ‘new headquarters’ in the east side of buffalo.

Day one that we got there, one of the managers got his stereo stolen out of his mazda. Day two i see beggars outside the building asking me for a quarter or a ‘bag of chips’. Day three i’m thinking about going to the gas station to get a deuce deuce. Day four a frustrated employee puts her fucking fist through a plate glass window in front of customers because one of the managers called her a ghetto bitch. Day five we finally got offered basic ghetto health insurance for the low low cost of 300 dollars up front, and 211 dollars a month.

My last student loan payment was 305 dollars, and gas isn’t getting any cheaper.

If i didn’t do side gigs, i would be flat broke.

It seems like the only way to make money in buffalo is run your own business.

I’m looking on the job sites, and its all get rich quick schemes.

My girlfriend called me yesterday all excited that she finally got a summer job at the ups store making 7.50 an hour. She has an associates degree, a 3.8 gpa, and is one year from a bachelors degree, and is going for her masters after that.

Even fucking aldi’s is looking attractive. Cash people out in the ghetto for ten bucks an hour.

I feel like a fucking slave, when i was 18 just starting college i made the exact same money that i do now, and I was delivering magazines to the airport in a company van, and worked whatever hours i wanted to. I’m thinking to myself ‘jesus i wish i had that job still , at least it was air conditioned’.

I look at several of my good friends. One dude took some classes at RIT, then transfered to fredonia and has a bachelors. Another dude has a masters in history, another dude has a masters in english lit. All of them are making under ten bucks an hour with no end in site.

At first my gf was looking at grad schools around here and shit, but now we agree that there is absolutely nothing here for either of us, so shes looking into some in texas and one in phoenix.

Ahh, there i feel much better now…

My work, UBMicro is hiring. Computer experience and knowledge needed. Good pay, benefits, etc.

www.ubmicro.buffalo.edu link for jobs is on the left.

Excellent stuff Joe, i will apply right now. Thanks.

Hmm interesting :o

thats shit man, but at least you are trying to get out of it.

some people just take that type of life as the status quo and never get out nor do they really see anything else as realistic.

i honestly dont know why most of you guys hang around the B-lo.

everyone in the niagara region here in Canada cant make shit so they uproot. the only places to make really solid coin, like $50k+ per year is in toronto or getting on a plane and moving out to fort Mcmurray in northern Alberta where all the oil is.

i had several buddies who were slumming it at $12 - $13 an hour here for years, not going anywhere and they immediately got on a plane and went to Fort and are now in the $18 - $22 range, one of my buddies actually started his own company and bout a $300k home after just over a year out there.

i say you had better be prepared to GTFO out of Bust-a-flo and go to more prosperous surroundings.

get a serious job and then after a few years maybe consider moving back closer to family when you are established and can work some of the key jobs locally after having real world experience.

look at howie, GTFO out of b-lo and hit up NYC

or go out west and try to be a movie star…

would you ever consider moving?

job market anywhere else > buffalo

i remember when you posted up your eBay auction of your ITT stuff… aw man /OT

Ha, hey Joel…

Yes absolutely. Most likely next June/July I will be moving to Phoenix or Texas. But I still need a gig here for a year or so so that I don’t go crazy.

How are things in carolina? Probably a far cry from allentown. I bet you won’t ever put a battery in backwards again.

I started at $8 and change in the IT world… now, less than 5 years later, I’m @ a little over $30. I’m not stopping anytime soon… and not everyone’s experiences will be the same, but make the most of it. Who you know is huge… also not necessarily how strong you are with computers and shit, but how you can work with people, manage time, and projects… and also put up with shit, but not so much that you can’t think straight.

Also - Don’t think that because you have a degree you are worth more than anyone else. I still don’t have a degree… but I got my foot in the door, and took a huge pay cut to get where I’m at.

Where do you work Jack?

I can’t even get the opportunity to get my foot in the door. I have a degree in Computer Information Systems. Got good grades, and did an internship at the I.R.S for some experience. And still nothing :frowning:

Sounds like you’re living way the fuck beyond your means and thus cannot take an entry level job in your field that will give you the ability to advance vertically into a successful career. Just a thought.

Yep, experience > degree in IT. But the degree will get the non-technical person in HR to give your resume to IT manager who will look at your experience.

Yep. Gotta start out with a low paying job in your field. Not going to get 50k for your first job. My first IT job was 28k/yr, right out of school. Making a whole lot more than that now, but I never would have got here without starting low.

Um, look what they majored in, and im sure living in Buffalo doesn’t help.
A friend of mine graduated from Cornell with a bachelors degree in Finance 3 years ago…he just got a new job and he is making about $150k a year, he is 24 years old. I bet you if he had a degree in what your friends do, even from Cornell, he would be making shit too…

Fidelis Care NY, I’m a Sr Programmer there.

Health care = $$$$$$$$$$$$

especially when the state pays me.

for 22 and still in school, I’m doing 'aight.

You need to meet some people man…Do some networking or something.

If you’re serious about moving and really only want something for a year collections or telemarketing…if you have any ability to talk on the phone and BS you’ll be able to clear $18-20/yr easily.

I’m at the point now that I have to learn to golf, unfortunately. That’s where you meet the big business people in WNY, and will land the big money jobs.

oh without question…actually since you’re already into boats you could focus on that…in business people take 1 of 2 things seriously golf or boating, rarely both. Plus, people get drunk quicker on boats than golfing.

Fuccillo sucks at golf BTW

GTFO man! I know I am. I have been unemployed since March. Since I have been on three interviews. I was at Teletech yesterday. They hired me for $8.75/hr. Workin it a month for extra cash. September I am off to Minneapolis. I literally had my resume up in MN for 24 hours, and the next day 8 people called me to setup an interview. Unless you are part of the “good ole boy” system in Blo, chances of success here are small. They just did a story last night on Channel 2 talking about almost 50% of young graduates leave WNY due to lack of jobs. Go where the money is. Everyone can’t get a hook up, do what you gotta do for now, then leave when you are ready.

FWIW, the job market is absolute shit in buffalo (as you’ve discovered)

ive got a dual management/marketing degreee from canisius with 3 minors…and im still sitting in a “so-so” management environment paying anywhere from 25K-35K a year depending on bonuses for the month/year. we took a huge hours cut in january thats dropped us down to 20-30K, but i stick with it for now b/c of great healthcare and 3 weeks pd vacation i don’t feel like giving up

the solution is to move…find some expanding job markets that pay more for the same jobs. for me, im REAL close to moving to VA beach…had several job offers for nearly identical jobs paying REDICULOUSLY more, buuut i hate giving up a lot of earned vacation (plus id be lost without my sabres and my bills…and snow)

every day i move a step closer to moving…personally i think its the only way to expand yourself without finding some job that allows for rapid upward mobility yet starts you at some weak ass pay…which is pretty damn common for the ungodly high turnaround rate in buffalo…