You Know You're From Buffalo When...

I thought this was funny. Some of it is before my time though.

http://www.bufftony.com/buffalo/frombuffalo.html

Sorry to alienate those not from good ol’ Buffalo.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/0kGKrm7Qwoytwpzrhql0I0q1o1_400.png

LOL @ #4

People call apartments “flats”?? Thought that was a british thing, I’ve never heard that.

and sadly, I do know the words to the Canadian national anthem.

You have ever been shocked when you visited another city because:
you thought everyplace was 90% Catholic
you hardly ever heard a Polish or Italain surname
you couldn’t get a fish fry – and the waitstaff had no idea what you were talking about
all the pizzerias were chains
all the restaurants seemed a bit too “fancy”
the bars close “so early,” at 2:00 AM
you saw houses for sale with six digit price tags
everything seemed so clean compared to “back home”
everyone seemed so thin compared to “back home”
you saw no cars with rust
so many people were driving foreign cars and SUVs
there wasn’t a Tops or Wegmans

This totally happened to me the first time I ever really went to a different area and was old enough to notice subtle differences like that.

^ As far as my limited travels have taken me, there isn’t a place like tops or wegmans. While in chicago it was all like organic food stores or rite-aids.

so many of those things make buffalo sound TERRIBLE

lol @ “you saw houses for sale with 6 digit price tags”

You know youre from North Tonawanda when:

Upon hearing the name “Nathan”, you instantly think of all the traffic tickets that asshole has given you.

really? maybe not like wegmans, but Tops is a VERY standard grocery store.

My addition: “You think ever year your team is going to the championship.”

About half of those should be, “you know you’re from Buffalo and poor when…”

I would say it’s a little better. If the average grocery store was a 5, I would give Tops a 7 or 8 and Wegman’s a 9 or 10.

I remember going to Cedar Point when I was a teenager and buying some groceries at a place called Meijer’s or something and the place was dirty and nasty. It made me realize that Tops is actually nice.

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:41 PM ----------

LOL, I think it applies more to Buffalo before sprawl became rampant.

My addition: You know you’re from Buffalo, when you have nothing positive to look forward too.

http://www.tumblr.com/photo/1280/14462434879/1/tumblr_lwgp1qgEf71qf8rjm

With traveling to different regions in the US, people can argue that Wegmans/Tops are over priced, all processed, not organic friendly, etc. but overall, there hasn’t been any one stop shopping places I have seen that rival Wegmans. They have prepared food, their own brand, and a ton of other sections that all can be one stop.

You need to get out in other places a bit more often then… Tops is average. The tops near UB south campus was a shit hole compared to the one on Maple. Ever stop to think that it all depends which ones you’re shopping at as well?

I can say with relative certainty that Wegmans is a one-of-a-kind grocery store…You won’t find many grocery stores nicer than it.

LOL man, when I go other places the first stop I make generally isn’t the local grocery store.

Another example though for ya: I was up in the Adirondacks in August and I went to the Price Chopper there which was nice and clean but didn’t have the selection that Tops has. It was maybe a 6 out of 10.

Tops is actually known to have a real variety of products because they don’t have a lot of barriers to allowing new brands on their shelves.

You know you’re from Buffalo when you’ve only ever heard of half that shit from other “you know you’re from Buffalo when…” emails.

Either that or they were all written 20 years ago.

---------- Post added at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

Oh, and sorry guys there is nothing special about Tops or Wegmans. Wegmans is a bit more progressive than some with their health-food selections, but not as good as a trader joes or whole foods. There is nothing that distinguishes Tops from any other grocery chain in the country.

Adirondacks is in the middle of nowhere…I’m telling you, any medium to large city will have grocery stores identical to Tops.

Pretty funny…

Not to drag this on any longer, but I went to this place and didn’t think it was as good as Tops either.

Actually yes there is. They actually employ check-out people. Every other grocery chain outside of WNY (especially MD, DC, VA) only has 1-2 check-out people at a time - resulting in the longest lines known to man.