Z32 4-Piston Caliper on S13 (front)

General question. probably stupid.

I have all the parts needed minus spacers, studs, flex lines and coil overs.

My question is;

How does the brake pedal feel after the conversion? Does the car brake to hard in the front? To hard in general? Is it worth it?

I’m asking 1 because I’ve been told the feel of the brakes is way to strong. And 2 because I have the parts, no one wants to buy. So why not.

I know tons of people have this conversion. Any input is appreciated.

Chris

Edit
The bold/italic for Bing. You knoooooow.

1- you don’t always need spacers for z brakes.
2- you don’t need coil overs for z brakes
3- definitely worth it

1. my wheels. i do. test fit already
  2. with spacers…i would need to bring the camber in? either way i will be when i get stance.
  3. sounds good so far!

thank you sir! oh do you have z32 bmc?

ur pedal will feel gay

upgrade to a z32 brake master and it will feel golden

petah,

hows bout dat abs. would that end up fackin with shit? proportioning valves and the such inside.

so i’m assuming, the brakes will feel great…but i will kiss my dash on severe braking?

lets get rid of that abs shit

takes 5.8 mins in the quarter mile

i never liked abs. but, in this car. i don’t mind it at all. only felt it maybe 3 times. but it felt solid. if i can get it to work proper with the abs. i would love to keep it. if not…make me an offer on the brakes someone.

also have rears.

http://www.son240sx.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40674

view if interested

people do it all the time

z32s have abs remember

Yea i know. but i figured the z32 abs v.s s13 abs would have completely different internals.

basically got all my questions answered

more insight people!!!

peter is right get the z32 ms other than that they r sick n def worth it

especially since, non-abs cars w/o z32 brake master cylinder + z32 brakes have a much greater chance of unpredictably locking the wheels and have weird braking dynamics from the change of stock to 4 piston.

amazing point!!!

i’m fuckin doin it.

would brightside coatings be able to coat the calipers all black and NISSAN in red? any one know off the top of their heads?

Just powdercoat them completely black and use a paint pen to highlight the “NISSAN”

I did that with mine, except the opposite. It lasted all season with no signs of wear.

And yes, without the Z32 brake master the pedal is fairly soft, though you can still lock up the brakes so it isn’t overly dangerous, just annoying.

or paint them and a sanding block over top to bring nissan up in alum. then throw a clear coat over it
But all and all, so worth it… yes you will be able to lock up your front with easy… I locked mine up down the 401 at 130kph when a transport tried running me off the road a week after i installed them.,… runined my tires but saved my life/car
stock pedal may be a bit mushy… bleed your brakes good and with ss lines re adjust your pedal height if its down any and you’ll be ok with a stock MC but upgrade if you can to Z32

i found that with the Z32 BMC but stock rear brakes that my pedal was too stiff… and without the BMC it was a bit soft, but not as intolerable as having it too stiff.

doing the rears really made everything perfect.

i cant comment on what various combinations to the brake bias, i know everyone has their theory.

i’ve had at least 3 inquiries in the lines this week… dont hesitate my friend.

guess i will do the front conversion. wait for spring then drive her and see how she feels. i’m just a little concerned that i am changing a whole wack of stuff. feeling out every little thing (especially after driving my truck for a couple months) and being able to point it out.

i’ll wait on the bmc i guess. i’ll see if the abs unit can be re-calibrated or adjusted etc etc.

bing, hopefully you end up seeing this before tonight, or someone that knows. because i will be doing everything in the rear tonight…hopefully.

i forgot if you said the sleeves need to come out or if they stay for the alum sub bushing…

When you guys say that the pedal felt soft, do you mean that it was very sensitive or that it just felt mushy but still effective?

What we mean is that when on the pedal its less resistent theres a bit of play before it actually starts to slow down the car, nothing bad just different feel 2 it.

I have 30mm Z32 fronts with Hawk HP+ pads and stock rears with stock pads. The pedal feel is adequate imo. Sure it got a little softer than with the stock brakes but its not intolerable. My brake bias is way off though. The fronts are so easy to lock up. I think if I upgrade the rear pads, this will not be as much as a problem.

If you properly bleed your brakes and only do Z32 fronts the stock master is perfectly fine with good pedal feel and response. If you do both front and rear brakes then you need to do the master as well.

This is all assuming you have the bigger 240 master… which is uhhhh 15/16 iirc… as opposed to a 7/8’s… or something along those lines. Search I’m sure you’ll figure out the proper values.