1992 Honda CX Cranks but Wont Start...has spark and fuel.

Well i just picked up my civic today and the car wont start for anything i dont know alot about civics but this is my observations:
-I can hear the fuel pump kicking on when i turn it to the on position.
-I took the spark plugs out and put it in the spark plug wires and it has sparks when i crank it
-The valve train moves when i try to crank it.
-The car’s trys to start then the battery dies <<can this be the cause? i was running jumper cables from my other car and it cranks and cranks without losing power but when its on its own battery or even on the jumper cables it wont start.
The car seems to want to start but it wouldnt it cranks and cranks and cranks but wont fire up can someone give me a run down on what i should check of next?
I was thinking the main relay fuse, how would i check this and where exactly is it located?

check the last page for the part 2!!!

ide check ur grounds

then timing

im betting on the timing. either that or some sensor isnt plugged in. but a 92 prob doesnt have many of those.

Ill say a fuel problem …

how do you know there is fuel getting to the rail ???

how would i check if im getting fuel at the rail lol i can smell fuel on the brand new plugs i just put in it on all cylinder. does anyone know how i would be able to check the timing? for the car? by hand without a timing gun?

dave… its the distributor. i know i know “i have spark”… ya but it may not be strong enough… the ignitors in them take shits like no tommorow.

dam i wish i have a extra distrubuter does anyone have one!?

since you don’t know the history of the car, I would start with the gas. Drain the tank and fill her up with new gas. Change the fuel filter. Etc…

if u want to see if the fuel rail is getting fuel, there should be a small bleeder valve thinggy on there somewhere to check.

damn, dude. I responded to ur pm before I read this thread…if your fuel pump is priming and you can hear it…it’s definately NOT your main relay.
Based on your descriptions, I’d say timing or bad ground somewhere, or possible ECU failure. And I’m leaning more towards the bad ground than anything.

Ok a quick questiong was the firing order on the distributor? I think my orders arre not right

Where do I check for grounds

It has been my experience that if a ground is bad, the engine won’t crank at all.

the picture is weird I can’t make out the details…my distributor looks like the a backward D…do you have a picture of wiring schematic for it? Or just tell me what’s supposed to go to wat cylinder I don’t know how to make what that link you sent me ahahah sorry for being a newbie everyones got to start off somewhere. Lol

i’ll be over tommrow with a compression testor…we’ll start with that one first lol

R.O.F.L best of luck dave… did it run before ?

http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22023

Make sure you have your firing order right.

make sure the fuel pump has enough pressure cuz that was the same with my eclipse. it prims but it was to weak.

EDIT: try the starter fluid method and see if it turns over

Pull a plug, is there a chance you are getting to much fuel? It’ is pretty cold out and your ecm may be overcompensating for it. But I would say check a plug, and timing should be fine unless it wasn’t running when you bought it.