2003 Ported Blower Cobra vs 2002 Heads/Cam Z28

lol. i have no remorse when a silly ford loses a race LOLOLOLOL. it was a good run! but even tho the cobra lost, its still a sweet car!

I wanna play with pullied cobras!

me too! lol. and if i could do it all over again (and still might do this in the future) i would have kept my ported setup and went all out with a big tb and plenum, along with long tubes and a larger lower pulley, and of course at least a 100 shot. id even setup two bottles in the car. nothing wrong with 700whp and 800ftlbs of eaton screaming power (if i ran a 150 pill lol, which i would hahaha)

Heat soak might have come into play as he got on it for a couple gears a couple minutes before our run. I’m thinking my car weighs around 200 lbs less than the Cobra, but that’s just a guess. The passenger weighs 180, so that’s almost 400 lbs different between the 2 cars.

He runs the stock upper pulley and a huge lower. I laughed the first time I saw it because it looks like he mounted a Weld wheel to the front of his crank, but it works really well, and he doesn’t get any belt slip. He does plan on spraying the car at some point.

Last year my car made 432/386 with the cutout open, 4.10’s and a spool. Now with the FAST intake, 3.73’s, and posi I’m really not sure what it makes. Some people gain 25 hp from the intake and some don’t gain a thing. Also, the posi should lose me some power, but the gears should gain me some, so who knows. The car does feel strong, but I haven’t driven it in 7 months, so that could be deceiving. I should be hitting the track later this month and hopefully the dyno next month, so I’ll keep you guys updated whatever the numbers.

yeah if you are making more than 430…prob close to 450whp and you are lighter, then the heat soak power loss puts you pretty damn close in power (for the sake of argument) and you being lighter and having numerically higher gears, then it should have played out just the way it did. boom bam, good run sir!

Thanks, man! I feel like I’m finally getting the car to where I want it. It should fly when I spray it again, assuming it doesn’t blow up, lol.

UPDATE
Sounds like the Cobra has knock in the motor now, probably rod knock. I’m sure that explains the outcome.

OOF. Big lower pulleys FTL. Car was sick… :frowning:

ill tade him my z for it …

who tuned it? that sucks man.

Yeah, I feel real bad for him. He’s a great guy and I don’t think he has the money to fix it any time soon. Worst time of year to break too. I hope he doesn’t have to let it sit too long before he can fix it.

Are the large lower pullies known for causing problems?

I believe it was tuned by EFI Logics.

A knock leads me to believe it wasn’t tuning as much as that lower. Most people don’t believe a lower will hurt the car, but Ford put that cage around the stock lower for a reason. That reason is crank snout stress from the blower. I am 100% against lower pullies without a cage, but I have my own beliefs. If he brings it to the house tonight I can take a quick peek and confirm / deny for him?

Didn’t know that. Learn something everyday. His car’s off the road to keep any damage to a minimum until he gets it fixed.

On a side note, I’m off for the next 2 days. Is anyone up your guys way interested in meeting up for some food and cruising? I don’t know if I’d be able to get anyone other than myself due to it being the middle of the week.

yeah, the aftermarket lower pullies dont have the support the stocker does. thats why alot of ppl shy away from them. and if it was a 6 or 10 pound pully (which im assuming it would be around that size) would only make the matter worse. those pullies are so huge that they can cause some major issues, even snapping the end of the crank off.