anyone watch the news tonight?

“You get into the zone, where it’s just you and your car, the road,” he explains. “You don’t notice what’s in front of you, you don’t notice what’s behind you. You just go and you just push it to the limit.”

Wait. your racing without looking front of you? no wonder they crash their cars. maybe if they get out of the “zone” and notice whats in front of you, we wouldnt have a problem.

thats from “Making Street Racing An Unattractive Pastime” article

i wonder if they’ll blame that on street racing.

From one of the stories on CityNews:

Under the Civil Remedies Act, you don’t have to be convicted, just arrested for an illegal activity. The drivers of the cars in question were cited for speeding and dangerous driving, and now their valuable vehicles are scrap metal.

So much for due process and “Innocent until proven guilty” ?

And is it just me, or are most of the top stories on City News about street racing?

i guess 34 people arn’t people since the # isn’t as signifcant as anything else. you know why they are cracking down on this hard? because its a PUBLIC street. smokers on the other hand choose to smoke so if they die too bad for them. innocent people should not be dying so why are people making it sound like 34 people are not signifcant. a life is a life.

the point is samson that there are many other issues getting much less attention which offer SIGNIFICANTLY higher dealth tolls than street racing. I agree street racing is dumb and dangerous in areas where there is anyone around and I agree with you when you say 34 lives is 34 lives but you act like Bing or whoever else is claiming they are not significat. The numbers are not significat in comparison to other issues, not the lives themselves.

^^ but as a responsible government, they are doing a right thing in most of the populations eyes. i’m sure all the people with kids and familys are looking at this with a positive look. if you look at it, the people only complaining are the young teens that do street race. do you see any mother’s complaining about this issue? its the best for thing for the WHOLE population. its impossible to please everyone, but their goal is the please the most amount of people.

i think they are doing a good act because they are showing that if u street race and break the rules AND get caught, your shit outta luck son. i’m sure the public wouldn’t let the government sit on their asses and let this shit fly by, they wanna do something about it so they can get re-eletected as well. the reason why i feel this way is because i have a son. if i had some dumb fuk street racing beside me with my baby boy in the car, i’d be mad pissed. maybe i feel this way and its biased becuase i have a baby, but if and when you become a parent, all eyes are on the child and the childs best interest. if anything gets in the way of that, its ur responsibility to solve it asap. thats what comes with being a responsible parent. you gotta grow up faster than expected and put ur fun times aside and do what you gotta do.

Getting caught red-handed street racing is one thing. Personally I think street racing is a dumb risk and, if you get caught, you deserve to have the book thrown at you. Take it to the track.

BUT

Being profiled on some made-up SUSPICION of street racing is a whole other thing altogether. Having your prized posession seized thx to US-style asset forfeiture laws WITHOUT a conviction (or even a charge layed) goes against the constitution.

When the situation gets to the point where ignorant police officers can prosecute you and seize your car because you fit the profile of a street racer, there is a problem.

Owners of modified cars are beginning to see what it’s like to be singled out by the state as a marginalized group. It’s happened to many other groups before and the shit needs to stops before it gets worse.

but how about obey speed traffic laws and you should be ok? ya if ur obeying the speed limit and u get pulled over for ur loud exhaust u pay the consequences of having a loud ass exhaust.

but imo, if you obey the speed limits, there is no way you can get booked for street racing. AND the definition of a race is with two or more cars right? so even if you were speeding over 20, and if you are by urself, that does not constitute as a race. so you will just get a ticket for 20 over.

obey the rules and you should be fine. everyone needs to stop crying about this street racing crap and grow up, follow the rules, and you wont get bugged.

its like thugs complaining about getting searched just for walking the streets. thats society, the way u dress, people judge u and just suck it up or change the way ur style is. no point in complaining about what the society is now, theres no way to change it. be a man and take in ur consequences for ur actions and cry on ur own time.

Acctually i believe the new law states racing against an opponent or against the clock. so if your ripping around by yourself they can still get you for “racing”. and your right if your not doing anything wrong they “shouldnt” stop you. but if the cop wants to be a dick he will, and he will give you what ever ticket he wants.

oh, sorry i didn’t know about this new definition. but i’m sure if they crushed someone’s car they had to have some HARD evidence to do so. they cant just crush anyone’s car who speeds. that would be pushing the law a bit wouldn’t anyone agree? in the worst case, you can just admit your guilty to speeding. yes officer, i was speeding becuase i felt like it but i was not racing against anyone or the time. just be smart.

but the issue about the cop being a dick and giving whatever ticket he wants, that has ALWAYS been there. but at least he can’t give u a ticket for racing and getting ur car crushed right? and isn’t that the topic at hand?

car crushed= racing

no racing = no crushed car

not so hard to do right? at LEAST you can avoid getting ur car crushed even if he gives u watever ticket and ur not speeding. that shouldn’t be anything new to us.

Like I said before, if the lawmakers and law enforcers of Toronto want to stop kids (and it’s always assumed it’s kids doing this, isn’t it), then give them a place to go and do it. Build a drag strip. Charge admission. Heck, I bet if a strip was built, you wouldn’t be able to get near the place, it would be so busy. The city/province might even make a little money on it, and be able to use the profits to help solve some of the towns other problems.

^^^

assuming that Police officers are always fair and even handed without personal prejudice.

under that same assumption you would expect that every man on death row in the US is in fact guilty. When instead it is suspected that upwards of like 10 - 20% of the men on death row are actualy innocent. many of which have been proven so only after execution or injection.

the system is inherently imperfect, yet the police have a tremendous amount of power afforded them.

the problem is that just because you are not doing anything wrong doesnt mean you will escape consequence.

look at how the media and the police and politicians are stretching the truth to suit their current agenda. the same is equaly likely in YOUR case if you are involved in such a scenerio.

what is true doesnt matter because you can rarely prove it. your word is not as valueable as that of the officer.

think about it for a second,

if a police officer decided to be an asshole and charge or simply treat you as though you were street racing, what power would you have to defend your name, your license, your car, your rights?

you dont have that power unless you can afford the lawyer. a lawyer that would take such a case knows its a futile and time consuming battle, not very enjoyable and no press = high rates because you have no other choice.

those high legal fees do not guarantee you anything.

look at Jesse,

he tried to bring home a FB RX-7 that he bought from a close friend. the ministry of transportation wouldnt give him a temp plate for some reason so he just threw his plates on it for a drive home… he was still insured and the plates were legal, just not for that car.

the car breaks down and while jesse and his friend whom he bought the car from are going to get an extra wheel a cop pulls up and sees the plates not for the car and assumes its stolen.

jesse gets caught doing something supposedly illegal but totally harmless and several months and several court appearances later jesse is out hundred of dollars ad will likely not get off the charges cleanly.

what purpose did that serve and why was a lawyer needed?

anyone with a bit of common sense looks at the scenerio and says… damn thats unfortunate, you took a risk and you got busted but no one got hurt or even could have got hurt so here’s a slap on the wrist.

but no…

it costs thousands to even get that kind of justice.

not a single person will benefit from these laws and the deaths from street racing will not decrease

the same thing is true of work place accidents and anti-drug laws.

even after billions of dollars invested by the GOV to combat both issues; drug use and the costs it imposes on society are as high as ever. the same is true of work place accidents

waste the publics time, blind them to real issues, make a big deal out of something that is sooo unimportant.

by the way…

everything we are typing here is being watched.

men and women are being paid to monitor our responses to these issues.

go read up on Ontario’s Civil Remedies Act and how this act was employed to take people’s cars.

thats the problem

the majority of people will jsut assume that the police would only do such a thing if the person was actually guilty / deserved it.

because most people will go along with it the police are able to get away with it.

you would think as more and more groups of individuals are repressed that eventually some of them would rise up… ie… those dudes in brampton.

i totally agree with you. no questions asked thats what the government SHOULD do.

but who would pay for it? tax payers? mothers, elders? they would be like wtf? why? i wont ever use it. why would i pay for something like that.
its like asking tax payers to pay for all the costs that come from cancer caused by smoking. it just wouldn’t be fair for the people who don’t smoke.

if people were serious enough, we should soon be seeing some nice big rallys going on. but the issue of who pays for this would be the main concern. definetly not tax payers.

go read up on Ontario’s Civil Remedies Act and how this act was employed to take people’s cars.[/quote]

sorry but i have better things to do then to read some stupid civic remedies act.

if you feel like you need to educate the people on son, you have my support and feel free to explain it to us son’ers.

If you are too lazy to bother even doing some basic research then you’re not part of the solution.

what solution? to cry like a baby because of this new law which would evidently waste my time in caring? its not like any of us can change it so what solution are you referring to?

is this thread “the solution” to the problem? lol

and by basic research u mean reading this stupid act? sorry, thats not something i would be much interested in. maybe if i was trying to find a loophole in it.

Overboost, we DO pay for all the costs that come from people getting cancer from smoking…it’s called free health care. I’ve never smoked a day in my life, and I’m not about to, but I’m pretty sure some of my hard earned tax dollars are going towards giving a life long smoker chemo or radiation therapy.

yes i do agree with it, but free health care takes into account of ALL types of diseases. you cant seperate a cancer disease from diabities or watever. its part of the health care system. BUT, if you were to add a tax JUST for building a track, that is in its seperate section. if you understand what i mean.

health care yes we do pay for some of that, but can you really tally up the amount you are paying JUST for those with cancer? its impossible to do. but it can be done if they were to build a track (just for car enthusiasts). no part of the track would be in any interest for non-car enthusiasts. but a health care system is in ANY interest for anyone who has a life, unless of course you are immortal, then you could complain.

ps: i hope u guys arnt taking my perspectives the wrong way, im just showing you there are other view points on this issue other than just one sided. i agree with building a track and wat not and being pulled over by the fkn FIVE 0 is bullshit. i agree with all that, but what can you do? simple. just dont give them a chance to pull you over and its a win win situation.