srteet racing law now in full efect

we are officaly screwed again, just watching the news the law has just passed , were individuals caught in this activity will 1 get maximum fine, car inpounded ect… thers is more, funny the video clip hade yet again a bunch of fucking honda’s , they screwed us once again, see clip on citytv

what else is new?

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/toronto/story.html?id=f2f59689-4c6e-4475-a2f3-8486a8429951

heh no.
the bill is only at second reading…

so you can still keep your car after you street race and you can still have your nitrous bottle connected.

Look at what they are going through all this time and effort to crack down on.

“The roadside sanctions are the latest attempt by authorities to discourage a deadly pursuit that has killed 38 people in the Greater Toronto Area since 1999.”

Wouldn’t the money be better spent elsewhere? More people have died watching The View since 1999.

thsi is gay.

Hey hey, don’t forget that a lot of those 38 were killed in the really dangerous unsanctioned “Mom’s Minivan” street races, and the “Affluent Neighborhood Luxury Sedan” street races.

Then there’s always the single car street races to watch out for.

I have a solution for all you guys who are worried. Don’t street race?

I have never street raced in my life, I have never gotten a single speeding ticket or ever even been pulled over for any reason. I still have a feeling this will have a negative impact on all of us. With all of this media attention, we are all going to be type cast as street racers whether we do 60 or 160.

The problem is that the cops don’t know who is actually street racing.

It would be fine if they limited this to actual street racing that they see happening.

What they really want, is powers to impound and suspend on suspicion of street racing.

Most appalling is the actual statistics, which are grossly inflated.

I can’t believe they still bring up the two Hondas racing in Richmond Hill.

He pulled out and made a left turn in front of two cars which were obviously going fast. Funny how to any of us that get hit by a car while making a left, we’re at fault.

Here’s some fun with fatalities. These are traffic fatalities in Toronto from 2000. So, add another 50 or so to get from 99 - 06, then another 50 or so to catch up to '07.

* 2000: 66 (26)
* 2001: 56 (32)
* 2002: 97 (50)
* 2003: 74 (43)
* 2004: 66 (28 )
* 2005: 59 (29)
* 2006 through April 30: 22 (12)

The number in brackets? That’s how many of those killed that weren’t in a car - ie pedestrians. The numbers to the left include cyclists though. So more than half of the people killed every year in traffic accidents in Toronto aren’t even driving, let alone racing, their cars.

Maybe they should ban crossing the street? Impound bicycles on suspicion of being used to commute?

lol same thing as last time… if the racer knows hes going to get in jail for street racing… he will out do the cop aswell…the end.

I couldn’t agree more, it seems like a vain attempt to clean up the roads with minor PR undertones.

The message is, as we know the public thinks the streets are ruled by racers and since racers are an easy target they’ll draft a law and take a bit of positive PR through the course of action.

I’ll make it simple. Whenever something bad happens, what do we do? We look for someone or something to blame.

Simple as that.

Like in 24, the Russians can be behind everything, but yet it’s still the people of middle eastern descent who will get all the blame and be punished for it. There’s nothing we can do to stop it.

Even if we try and do good deeds, it won’t help. People only remember the bad things that happen.

Should even talk about how many poeple are killed every year due to drunk-ass drivers?

^^^ agreed.

If we drive on the roads according to the rules of the road, we have nothing to worry about. If you drive like an ass on the streets, that’s your problem. If you don’t, you won’t get in trouble for street racing.

End of discussion.

I used to drive like an idiot on the roads but I grew out of that. Thankfully I never got a ticket for it anyway… now the only thing I get hassled for is my loud exhaust… lol.

Funny story, I had a cop pull me over after following me for about 5-6km while I was following my friend in a stock SIR civic who is in police foundations so he knows better than to do bad things.

I get to another friends house who was in my car that I was dropping off, as I stop,

the cop pulls me over, tells me to put my keys on the dash, accuses me of street racing, asks me if i want 10 000 dollar a year insurance.

4 cruisers pull up, they search me, ask if they need to search the car.

1 hour later, the cop gives me a careless driving ticket, tells me he wrote down on the notes that I made an improper lane change and was speeding a bit (had no radar) and that I would get it reduced to a improper lane change ticket in court.

Then he said “he wanted to teach me a lesson” then we shook hands and he left.

Great, now I have a carless ticket in which I did not one thing wrong other than driving a lowerd gold civic, and going 10km/h over.

And I have to spend time and money in court.

This could of been much worse with this new law.

Enjoy it.

In a perfect world, that would be the end of discussion. With all this extra focus on street racing and modded cars, you are honestly going to tell me that by following all the rules of the road, you aren’t going to get some more unwanted attention? What about the weekly meets? Cops might start hasselling because they suspect that there might be some street racing going on, or about to happen. I just don’t think that it is wise to think that this won’t effect all of us.

Well, sure you’ll be hassled by cops if you drive a modified vehicle… probably much more often if this bill passes (they’ll probably want to check for NAWS)… but I mean, if you drive like a sane person there’s no way they can nail you with anything like ‘careless driving’, ‘speeding’ or especially ‘street racing’… unless they are REAL assholes.

By the way, did you hear? They’re planning to raise the speed limits for us on the highways.

Of cource they can, they write you the ticket, and you prove you didn’t in court.

Simple and done, if you dont think some police are corrupt then you are just nieve.

^^^
I’m not saying anything like that. I get pulled over every now and then, but I talk to the cop politely, and I show him that my car is in perfect working order. If he’s in a pissy mood the worst he’ll do is give me an improper muffler ticket… they usually don’t.

I have never ONCE been pulled over on the suspicion of street racing, careless driving, speeding, or anything like that. (Well except that one time last summer - but all I got was an improper muffler ticket)

If you treat the police with respect that they WANT (not necessarily that which they deserve), they’ll be much more lenient with you and also acknowledge that you aren’t some punk ass kid who races everything that moves…

But like I said, there is the occasional cop out on his power trip but I don’t seem to come across them at all.