breaks not working! need help

on sunday, i took off my front wheels to check my pads and my rotors. i changed my pads and ordered rotors at PS (Part Source). I put my wheels back on and went to test drive my car, I tried to press the breaks but it wouldnt stop. anyone ever had this problem or know the problem?

did you bleed the brakes?

When putting pads on you have to compress the piston in the caliper. After you have re-installed you need to pump the brakes a few times to bring the piston back up to normal operating range .

Adrian

I was changing a rear brake pad two weeks ago. I put it all back together and found that I had no brakes. I looked for leaks and the caliper was leaking at the point where the e-brake turns on the caliper. Luckily i had a spare caliper in my garage just swapped it and it was ok. Check if your fluid is down, park the car pump the brakes, see if its leaking.

brakes

bleed your brake system and youll be fine

i bleed the breaks again today. it was getting tight when pressing the breaks but when i start the car the break feels loose. i also installed new rotors today, and found out one of the bolts might be stripped. could thatbe my problem?

You know before starting the car on the road, after bleeding. Should have made sure everything is tightened and not stripped or whatever lol… plus pumped the brakes in position to see if any leaks happen from anywhere… Good luck :-/ Hunting leaks can be a nightmare… be careful man!

Are you saying your car has no brakes after u bleed it a couple times or are you saying it gets really soft compared to when your pumping it when the car is turned off.

+1

:rolleyes:

mabie when you reinstalled the calipers the flex line was twisted this can also cause that problem go over everthing you have done check for leaks seized sliders ect

this is a bleeding issue, make sure all your calipers are compressed against the pads when the car is off. go to the rear wheel same side as the steering wheel. Pump the brakes bleed that caliper, go to the next one bleed it, move your way forward to the passenger side bleed that one then last but not least bleed the drivers side brake caliper.

This should solve your problem oh dont forget to add Dot 3-5 depending on your current brake set up.

Simon

aren’t you supposed to start with the caliper furthest from the M/C?

did the pedal stiffen up after pumping it up? usually if you had to push back the pistons you’ll need to pump the brakes or the pedal will go all the way down.

if its still going down you somehow managed to get air in your lines. something i’ve never managed to do without opening the braking fluid system.

if the pedal is stiff now, no worries. if its not, start bleeding.

when pumping the breaks with the car off it gets stiff, but when i turn the car on the pedal goes all the way down.

I had the same problem on my car. Assuming that you dont have a twisted flex hose… you need two people, you have air trapped somewhere in the system. if the master went dry at all you might have to crack the lines at the master and see if you have pressure coming out, if any air comes out, bleed it a couple of times till air stops coming out. Then continue bleeding the brakes, you may have to do it 10 or more times in the rear especially if the master cylinder went dry at all.

if you bleed the shit out of the lines and you still manage to have air. then your brake MC is gone.

Start from the rear brakes, then do the front, and don’t let the brake pedal up when you open the valve (just incase if theres any noobness). It shouldn’t take more than 5-7 times of bleeding from 1 caliper. Go around do that, if its still fucked, your MC is fucked.

Bleed it with your car on! Theres more pressure and it will force every lst bit of air out. Have someone Pump it several times, than hold it to the floor, than bleed it. Do to all calipers

Bench bleed your master cylinder. If you can’t bench bleed it, and air bubbles continue to appear, your pistons may be gone. Go to PS and get a new BMC.

my s13 u had to bleed it in sequence , otherwise it wouldnt bleed. if ur peddle was tigher before and when u changed ur breaks it got soft u must have forgot something double check, maybe there is a leak but yeah if it was fine before somehting must have gone wrong because air just doesnt magically get in.

I still can’t fatthum how air entered the system by just changing pads? Did you remove the entire caliper from the car? Or leave the flex line attached?

Adrain