Car door lock problem

You guys will be noticing over the next short while I am going to be posting a few questions as to fixing the problems with my car I just bought so bare with me.
This is a problem that I knew I would have to take care of shortly for my own peace of mind. For a 89 240sx where can I find the key code for the ignition key. I have found the door key code in the glove box but on that sticker they left the ignition key area blank. The reason i am asking this is because the key I have is preaty well worn and I am just affraid of it one day not working. I also dont want to cut a key from it because all I will have is a “new” worn out key lol. So is there another place that will have the code I need? I know of some cars having a sticker or “tag” in a door so you have to take off the interior to get at it but how is a 240 setup? Or am I just out of luck and will have to go to nissan and get them to find out what key is for my car.

I lost my keys last wednesday, still cant recall where i lost them or what i did with them, but i just went to the mall and they made me a new house key and a car key from my original, im sure they can take care of you…and its cheap :slight_smile:

Ya but the problem is the ONLY key I have for the ignition is the one that is worn out. So making a new key from it dose not help out any it will just be another worn out key.

Go to speedy for a key tune up :lol:

hahaha this is not really a joke to me I am just looking for the answer to my question.

try contacting Nissan with your VIN number, they should have a record of all the key codes. Also, for my car, the door key is the same as the ignition key, it might be the same for yours.

Good luck,

DRE

I agree, give the dealership ypur VIN number and they should be able to fix you up with a new key quickly.

Ok thanks that sounds like it might be easier then tearing apart the door to find a key tag lol.

Give them the key code for the ignition and they can make you a key for your doors. They are the same.

oh so you mean the code that is on that tag in the glove box is the code for the whole car?

when my bro lost my keys I gave village nissan that number and they made me a new set, worked for everything

was actually kind of scary, they didn’t even ask for id, or vin or anything

lol you mean you just gave them the number in the glove box thats for the door lock(but I guess its for both the ignition and doors) and they made you a key no problem or questions asked lol. I think I say 20/20 do a show on somthing like that when all they did was looked at the vin through the windsheild and went to dealerships and had keys made for peoples cars without even needing to show ownership or id. Sad really to think that dealerships would be so relaxed on something that important.

Yup that’s exactly what happened.

Never let anybody see that number or your VIN.

lol well I was not going to be like “here is a pic of my car key tag what number dose what?” lol but the vin number is hard to hide since it sits right on your dash :frowning:

put a SON sticker over it.

DRE

How old was the car you had done? I thought they didn’t keep keycodes for cars that are older than a certain number, somewhere around 8 years…?

lol thats a new idea I must say, oh well thanks for help on this one now to just see if it was the key that makes the one door lock not work or if its the door lock itself.

you’r lock could have seized, in which case spray some Graphite in there, it might loosen it up. Worked for one of my doors.

DRE

The car is 15 years old, so this is what I did I went to a locksmith with my key code and he just went to a computer and punched it in. After getting the key cut I tried it on the doors and no dice :frowning: . So then I made sure it started the car and the glove box and it worked for those things. So I went back to the locksmith and he took a look and said indeed that my door locks were either semi sized(passenger), just messed up from the exposure(driver). So he told me to come back with the door handel assembly and he could fix the lock no problem. Each lock would be $18 so thats what I am going to do tomorrow I think $18 is preaty sweet for what he is going to do.

That’s what I did. If you haven’t had experience removing pieces of your doors then it’s going to take you some time (took me a while for the first door, then once I knew what I was doing the other door was easy). When you take the handle assembly out you need to disconnect two ‘swing clips’, one is white, the other is green or pink. There are also two 10mm nuts holding the handle in the door. Other than just playing around with angles, you shouldn’t have too much of a problem getting them out. BTW, I got both of mine done for $25 cash :wink: Let us know if you have any problems. 8)