cleaning coil-overs

well intense98rt and myself went to install his new lower rate springs yesterday on his coil overs and noticed one of the front struts is actually lower than the other, but the perches wont move, im assuming to dirt and salt.
we cleaned the threads with engine degreaser and they still wont move…so now with his lower rate springs the front is about another inch lower and the car is bottoming out everywhere and comes damn close to hitting the fenders.

can someone chime in with maybe some cleaning ideas, or someway to break the perches free.

use a pentetrating lube…

tried that

they might be rusted…u might have to spray a few times and really let them soak

Hydro Chloric acid

lol. y not gasoline and a lighter

heat wrench … torch them out then try and move them

i dont think heating up the coilovers is a good idea. wouldnt that be bad with the gases inside. here is a pic of what they look like new.
its the 2 perches that are holding the spring in place that are stuck.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/2fast98rt/dropzone/100_0845.jpg

InBeforeWeToldYouNotToDriveThemInWinterButYouDidn’tListenAndNowYou’veScrewedThePooch…

looks like alloy shock body threaded into a steel perch… essentially, you are fucked. galvanic corrosion.

its a car. they are made to be driven.

use some seafoam deep creep. that will make the motor go round.

think they could be considered defective?
because they have a lifetime warrenty

they aren’t defective, just seized as shit. get some penetrating oil on them. can you remove the actual cartidges from the adjustting assembly?

soak the shit outta them in penetrating oil and let them sit for like a day or something. buffalo salt<*

Get some penetrating oil like some PB blaster or somthing let it soak in.

Then get a steel rod, a dull chisel or screwdriver, the end of a wrench ect. Just somthing you can use to engage one of the notches on the collar.

Line it up with one of the notches on the collar so that when you whack it with a hammer it drives it loose.

:word: , iwas gonna suggest to hit it the same way.

OT: intense98rt, be careful when u park in UB parking lot at Hoch. i was in my xterra looking for a spot yesterday and i almost stole ur spot till i recognized ur car from ur sig. i had it all planned out but i backed off cause i recognized ur car. i ended up in the last row :frowning:

Cut it off and put a new ring on.
Done.

Edit: Are the 2 nuts stuck together?

^^actually you might have to do that, and i never thought of that. hope it doesnt come down to that.

U might end up cutting the adjust nuts off, otherwise like suggested, soak’m, let them sit, then try again.

be careful how? like, don’t play chicken with SUVs over parking spots? :lol: