***Come play GTR2 ***

when will be he next race?? sorry i wasnt in last time, i still am working with the keyboard and it sucks. i need a controller.

The key on that track is the one chicane that comes between two very long fast sections. Thread the needle in fourth gear and watch your time drop. I managed to go through that chicane at 85 the night before when it was just Rx3 and I… Turned a 1:44 on that lap.

The Porsche is totally a point-and-shoot car. It hooks up very well out of the corners, all you need to do is make it rotate well on corner entry. And just about everything sounds like crap after driving the Ferrari. :wink: I wouldn’t mind the TVR so much if it wasn’t RHD. That is something I just can’t get used to. The front fenders do stick up quite a bit, too.

I think it’d be fun to try a different car class for a change although I obviously have no control over that.

Ian, now that I have the G25 wheel setup, I’m not using my controller anymore. You can borrow it if you’d like. Or just pick up a cheap Logitech analog controller for $20 from EBGames or something.

The server is up 24/7 now, so just logon, people are usually racing towards 10-11pm till whenever they get tired. Weekends will be the big nights. Saturday ~9-10pm start.

You like that pass under braking in that chicane didn’t you :wink:

Yeah, I was checking my mirrors making sure I put some distance between us. You were fast on the middle section, I think I was faster on the last section.

One thing I’ve noticed now that I have the wheel, I have to concentrate a lot harder. I was actually tired after the race. Full force feedback when you hit the rumble strips is something else. I turned off all the aids execpt TCS and ABS, and the car is a handful. I’m working the clutch on my own too, heel-toeing when downshifting in some of the turns so that the car doesn’t spin out. I really need to spend some time playing with track setups.

Right now it’s the Gruppe M Porsche, mainly because 88 is my number in Auto-x. I like having a rear view mirror. The braking on the Porsches suits my driving style a bit better.

I’ve driven the Ferraris, and they are twitchy. Once you set them up, you can run REALLY fast times, but they aren’t forgiving (imo) if you fuck up. Garick and KrazyKarl seem to be fast with them, so they may know something I don’t.

TVR is torquey, I can’t drive it properly. Never really put too much time into it KrazyKarl and Fuzzyfish swear by it though, and they are fast. The lap times will prove it.

Nissan 350Z, nice car, well balanced from what I can tell. Haven’t spent much time with it either.

All this changes when you start playing with the setup (as I’ve learned with the Ferrari). This game will force you to start setting up the car to your driving style. It will be very difficult to just take a car’s default settings and consistenly be faster than someone who has dialed in a particular car. Just look at last night, the 3 fast guys (non NYSpeed gang), they have track specific setups. We have some catching up to do :smiley:

Just experiment with the cars, find one that you like, and use it. That’s what I’m doing. :headbang:

Yeah it does get quite tiring I ended up turning it down to about 60%, I’m suprised how well this ancient wheel works though. Currently only using auto-clutch due to the lack of a clutch, and low on ABS as it’s way to easy to lock the wheels on the TVR. Though I might turn that off tonight if it’s a track I’m familiar with.

From my experience:

Ferrari - Quick, but very unforgiving. You let it step out you’re done. That said it seems to be a very precise car. Excellent car if you can avoid going past it’s limits

Porsche - Easy to rotate, precise braking. Power isn’t as “on/off” as the other cars so you have to get on it earlier. And also be more agressive to keep the revs in the powerband. Good all-around car.

TVR - Fucilloain’tgotshitHUGE blind spot. Sounds amazing, a bit more forgiving if you make a mistake due to the weight being up front. Brakes are very powerful but extremely easy to lock the wheels if it’s bumpy at all. Broad & torquey powerband very controllable. The way it moves and takes bumps is rather unrefined compaired to the other cars. Take a lot of effort to drive it, part of the reason why I like it keeps me entertained.

Oddly the driving style is quite a lot like playing Viper Racing making it easy for me to get into when it came to driving it. A game that if anything I’ve played wayyyyy too much.

+1 on the Ferrari’s being unforgiving, if I step out the back seriously more than a few degrees there is absolutely no recovering at all.

Going in now.

Anyone get lower than 1:45?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/zg326/gtr2.jpg

Damn Zong, you close enough to the steering wheel? :slight_smile:

Ok so I got on real late, after most of you had already left. Hop in on a 30 minute race on a semi-pro server. About 6 laps in, get tagged from behind and punted into the wall as part of a massive chain reaction accident. Almost the whole field is caught up in it. Pit chief comes in over the radio: “Are you ok? Sit tight until the marshals arrive”. Fuck that, I can still podium if I can stop getting hit. So I restart my engine and somehow limp back to the pits. And I really mean limp. Engine didn’t sound right, car wouldn’t go in first gear, I was feathering the clutch in second to get it rolling. Pull into the pits, check the pitboard, and I’ve got suspension and aero damage, and the front splitter needs to be replaced. So I’m sitting and waiting as the pitstop takes place. The Pit Chief starts yelling at the crew over the radio : “C’mon, hurry up! We’re losing position!” The crew works as fast as they can, but I am still in the pits, going a lap down. Just when you thought things couldn’t go worse, I hear another voice on the radio: "We have a mechanical failure. "

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

We’re in the pits, how can we have another failure? I don’t see anything wrong…

The pit crew keeps working, but before I can even finish my next thought, this happens:

http://www.comtrix.net/~rick/NYSPEED%20GTR2/Rx3_is_HOT.bmp

So yeah, I didn’t win that race :roll:

Pwnt. :lol:

:lol:

I hope you stashed some marshmellows next to yer fire extinguisher…

edit: I drove a couple of the Porsches last night. I felt the brakes were stronger compared to the Ferrari’s, but Ferrari’s are more neutral midturn. The GT3RSR I was driving had significantly sharper turn-in than the Ferrari at all speeds, however it tends to oversteer easily when powering out midturn.

I’m partial to the GT3 now, and I bet those little quirks can be fixed in a few minutes by changing the setup parameters.

I don’t know… I’ve been using the RS (baby blue car) and I actually messed around with the suspension setup last night and it didn’t help all that much with that oversteer problem.

You should work on your brake bias, didn’t seem like they were helping when you rear ended me at 100+ mph :stuck_out_tongue:

Is there an option to label the cars with names so I know who I’m driving against? Also, when I go to watch replays, it only gives me the last 30 seconds. If I wanted to view a whole lap, how can I do it?

Option #1
You need to set your replays to full in your options. Then from the main menu go to replays. Also, if you are saving replays on your own PC, they will overwrite if you race the track again so rename them immediately after the race.

Option #2

Or don’t worry, normally I set the server to record full replays, I just had it turned off the past couple days. I’ll turn it back on for tonight. :tup:

As far as labeling cars, I think the tab key will give you arrow boxes with names (kinda like Fox Nascar coverage). Or you could just pay attention to the garage, and see who’s driving what :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s the way I drive, too… I don’t have a need to look at more of my interior by having the seat farther back.

BTW, Zong, are you using the Autorlando Porsche #66? If so one of us needs to pick a new livery.

I was driving some of the training courses today, after driving the 350z I will definitely have to agree with the ferraris being very unforgiving. It can be quick but make the smallest mistake and its over. I’ll have to give some other cars a fair chance now.

Darn…

I’ll switch. I’ll take the white/green one that says “Yukos” on it.

There’s a million other Porsches Zong, just pick one :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s what made your rain race so amazing with the yellow Ferrari! I couldn’t understand how you didn’t spin out that one night when you left us all in the dust.

I will be back tonight … been busy. What are opinions of 350z vs. TVR?

KK

But…but who else will be on team TVR if you leave it… :cry: