Dimple dies

Does anyone know if anyone in Toronto sells these?

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/files/t_1966.jpg

Thanks,
Andrew.

what are they for andrew?

For beveling holes in gussets using press.

http://www.jdmfresh.com/gallery/NOSSC300/images/dscf2941.jpg
http://www.jdmfresh.com/gallery/NOSSC300/images/dscf2943.jpg

Andrew.

Cage-errific

Why’d you want holes in your gussets anyway? For drainage or some shit?

Weight reduction

And strength, adding beveled holes across the whole thing will make it way more ridgid than just a flat piece of metal.

lol glory holes

hahahahaha that was funny

Adding bevels would increase the strength, which explains why the holes are being beveled, however I didn’t see the significance of such minor weight savings. This ofcourse in comparison to putting bevels on the gussets without drilling any holes. Turns out Andrew is putting in quite a bit of these, so it would add up and it does make sense to drill the holes.
And Avery, if you have the time to laugh at my comments, why don’t you go sell busted cats with warped flanges to more SON users?

Andrew if you want I can whip up the 3D model of the dies and you can send the file to a machine shop and have them CNC’d?

Check Princess Auto they may have them possibly or something that will work similar…

they deform quite fast unless they’re tool steel and hardened to RC2. It would cost him about the same $400 in the long run.

I suppose you could change the design and make it an air bending die not a bottoming die, but then again the bends wouldn’t be identical.

Andrew, Call up Sowa or Taylor tools see if they have anything.

whip up a 3d model? wtf? you need precisely 3 numbers to make one of those on a lathe… the rest is almost irrelevant

and you could use regular steel or stainless it doesn’t have to be ultrahard, just add grease before pressing

seriously give me $200 and I’ll make em

I’m going to be using pretty hefty gauged steel. I’m not using this with 20-22 gauge steel.

Matty, Jeff advised me of a place in Scarborough that may be able to get them for me. I’ll check the places u advised of as well.

Thanks,
Andrew

hahaha hows this …

bring it back to me and ill pay you double what you paid for it.

if not keep making smart comments to more SON users… and i will continue to laugh at you

Dude, that was like 2 years ago, I honestly don’t give a shit about it, I just wanted to give you hell for the hell of it.

Is the steel portable? if it is, just cruize around to some local machine/fab shops. something like that should be found at one of them…

but you are a smart guy, so you probably would have done that if it was possible.

I like to do fab work in house myself. I can’t bend some of the gussets untill the holes are beveled.

Andrew.

RC2? That’s pretty damn soft! 01 tool steel is harder than that from the get go. I believe you meant to say something like RC54-58.

This is probably something with low volume output i.e. less than 5000 hits so I’ll suggest you could probably make it out of hardened 01 or A2. A2 is a little more pricy.

If you make any type of drawing, even in Microsoft paint, or a scanned piece of paper, I’ll give you a competitive quote. jeff.rimmer@sympatico.ca

Thanks