driving new car 500 miles on interstate. any precautions i should take?

I remember awhile back someone picking up a car far away and believed they used the blue painters tape on the front of the car to prevent chips. This will be a car that will be stored and put away and hopefully never have a chip on it as long as i can help it. 50 coats of wax may help lol.
Was going to just have it trailered but guy changes the price by 200 so i said screw it and am just going to drive it.
Thanks

I’ve never quite understood the tape-the-shit-out-of-your-car approach. If road debris is going damage your paint, you really think it won’t penetrate some painters tape?

I don’t think I would ever own something I feel this way about. So I can’t say i can help much but I would think the painters tape is better than nothing? Minimally it keeps from having to scrub off all the bugs and crap after.

How about this

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/landing/page.jsp?name=3m-paint-defender-spray-film

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24998[/ATTACH]

+1

And if I was going to own a trophy car I’d just pay the extra $200 and have it shipped.

you could plastidip the front end and the rear fenders

It was going to be 800 shipped and will cost me less then 200 for me to drive there. I guess just a little nervous and figured if i could do something cheap and quick like tape, why not. I mean i just had to have a windshield replaced in a 2013 escalade from a chip last week on the thruway. Ive been driving 20yrs and never had that happen before.

• Updated - - -

Also, that paint defender stuff has a similar product that is like saran wrap. Maybe I’ll check that out.

spill the details…what is it.

I’ve used blue painters 3" tape a few times from either traveling to purchase a car or going to car shows. Always worked fine with me, deff worth it for the ~$25 bucks it’ll cost ya. Just make sure you put it on the correct way to go with the wind instead of having the lips go against it. Saw plenty of chooches facing it the wrong way then wondering why it fell apart before their arrival.

If you read the details on this stuff, it says it can take up to 4 days to completely harden. Plus you have to apply it in a controlled environment, (no dust, bugs, etc). I bought it for the bumper on my R, but have yet to find a time where I won’t be driving the car for that long of a time.

X…

This will be a car that will be stored and put away and hopefully never have a chip on it as long as i can help it

I just don’t get this. So you’re buying a car that you’re never going to drive, even locally, because you just want to look at it and rub it with a microfiber towel while whispering “my precious” like some automotive Gollum but you’re not willing to drop $600 to have it delivered and avoid being peppered with highway spray?

Maybe it’s just the idea of owning a shrine car that I don’t get to drive that my family is probably just going to sell shortly after I’m dead is too weird a concept for me.

Bugs.

Last time I did this was when I drove to Carlisle and instead of scrubbing the front of the car just before the show, all I did was pull off some tape.

Now-a-days I have a 2nd bumper for long road trips, lol.

You do realize a few minutes at a pressure washer booth blasts those dudes off with ease, right? The time you spend taping the front end of the car is no where near the effort to wipe some bug guts off after the drive. What about intake areas, gaps around lights and body panels? Unless you are literally covering every square inch of the front end you are keeping the hardest to clean areas exposed, thus negating any work to tape.

You guys that do this are absolutely nuts. I’ve done multiple drives of 1000+ miles one way and never ran into an issue that would warrant the efforts of tape. I’ve put the '55 Chevy in my sig through a handful of NY to MN drives, saw all kinds of road and weather conditions, finished the drive with a wash and the car looked just as it did the day before when I departed.

Bugs need DAYS of being dead on your paint to cause any damage.

On the bug debate you know if you use the correct wax/sealant they come right off?

Penny wise dollar foolish, have it shipped, hopefully the driver is insured

Pressure washer? I rolled into a car show, pulled off some tape and finished the rest of the car with some quick detailer, lol. Took me minutes to have my car ready while at the show without any scrubbing and the tape was covered in bugs. It would have taken me more time than that just to dry the car, let alone the time it would have taken to find and use a car wash.

I’m not talking about damage from bugs, I’m talking about convenience.

And I’m not talking about using the small tape rolls either. I used to use the super wide roll that would cover the leading edge of my bumper (which is very small in comparison to other cars) in just 4 strips.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31WXNmBz1eL._SL500_SL160_.jpg

I think I know what it is but I’ll let him spill the beans. Super solid car.

I went with the wide roll of blue tape. For a couple minutes worth of work, I had some additional peace of mind.

You seriously spend $60+ on a roll of tape just to save a few minutes of wiping the front end off? (http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/3M-PREFERRED-CONVERTER-Painters-Masking-Tape-15C061?gclid=CPuA1rX-0roCFVOf4Aod3GUAlw&cm_mmc=PPC:GooglePLA--Adhesives,%20Sealants%20and%20Tape--Tapes-_-15C061&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=15C061&ef_id=UlQaxgAABBM1Oxua:20131107152718:s) Time yourself next time, to apply the tape and remove, and to go no-tape and wipe down upon arrival. I’d bet your convenience goes out the window.

To LZ’s point made after mine, even with a fresh coat of wax the bugs can literally wipe right off. I too have done the quick detailer wipe down when driving to shows, it’s just soooooo easy to wipe em off. 4" wide rolls of tape is just excessive…different strokes for different folks, but just know that it really is overkill:)

• Updated - - -

My case in point. What about the intricate grill, the lighting, the windshield, the roof…

I’ll get off my soapbox now, you’d think I’m some sort of save-the-tape advocate or something.

Pretty much. It’s $25 bucks of tape at best, get over it.