Drones

For sure, but I will probably take it other places. I dunno, maybe I shouldn’t worry about losing it then? That video that dude goes far as hell.

It does go far, but you might be surprised when you find out that there is a lot of interference in the city.

Standing on the street and flying at 10 feet elevation would be a big challenge. You’ll probably find that starting from a rooftop would be a much better starting point.

You can set the height which it returns home at on the dji’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this isn’t for filming, its for racing, a gimbal would make it harder to tell what angle you are at in relation to things you are flying around. if you were going to film with it, get a DJI or a 350QX3, those are for filming, not racing

yep, i was looking at those last week, i think i’m going to build one myself and save a couple hundred though, a few friends and I are all going to get them.

p.s. it is illegal to fly these out of your line of sight unless you have permission from the FAA and a license to do so, just a warning. its a big fine

i posted a video of these in my first post in this thread

thats actually not very high for a quad, my 180QX goes that high easily and it doesn’t even have brushless motors

ah cool. i’m totally new to this stuff. would you say the storm racing one is the best way to get into FPV? i don’t know what i want yet, i just know it seems awesome to be able to see first person in the drone and fly around. i think filming is less interesting than FPV personally for me, and i saw you can add on the mobius cam. the storm racing one also seems like a great value - are there other models you’d recommend I look at before i buy something like that?

very cool you’re building your own, do you just buy all the components yourself and piece it together? i’m assuming that frame is available on it’s own?

yes you can buy the controllers, frame, motors, speed controllers etc on their own, the hard part is getting it all balanced correctly. just have to make sure you aren’t buying one of the crappy frames, there are a few out there that are very fragile and tend to break easily

if you just want to try out fpv and dont care about the video quality, blade makes the nanoQX FPV that is small enough to fly around the house and will handle some light winds. it also comes with the fatshark goggles(which you can then use on most FPV setups if you decide to upgrade) that whole setup ready to fly is about $420ish if i remember correctly. the storm drones are cool, i’m going to fly one tomorrow so i could give you some input on that. from what i’ve read they are pretty durable, but i wouldn’t go that nuts on a setup if you aren’t going to race with it, those setups dont come with a monitor, so on top of the almost 400 price tag for the drone, you are spending another 200+ on a monitor or goggles

if there’s any other questions fire away, i dont mind answering them, I think i covered what you wanted to know for the most part

you can turn a lot of quads into an FPV quad, I’ve been thinking of doing that with my 200qx, it all depends on how much weight they can carry.

Thanks for your help first and foremost!

I really don’t think I’ll be “racing” but this is NYspeed so we sure as shit all love going fast, right? I also don’t feel like it’d be great to spend 400, love it, and then buy another for 800…almost rather just ball out from the get go…

you also have to think about it like this, how much flying experience do you have, i mean if you crash an $800 quad, you are going to be spending probably over 100 to fix it, the $400 quad the most expensive part on the thing might be $60(the board). I’ve gone through this with heli’s many times over, i crash and break my nano, its $10. last time i crashed my 180cfx it was about $90 to fix(thats the difference in a $100 heli and a $250 heli)

just something to think about also

I ended up balling out, couldn’t help myself.

this shit is so fucking fun!

I got the Storm Racing Drone, Skyzone dual receiver goggles, ImmersionRC 600mw VTX, IBCrazy BlueBeam antenna set, a Mobius and a fuck ton of batteries, charger, props.

I crashed a bunch the first couple days - flying in NYC is not easy (I live near a basketball court/park, so was able to practice there but it’s all pavement). But I ended up going home to see my family and I had a blast with FPV out in an open field. Really got to learn and dial it in. What an awesome time, shit is super fun. You’re right, I broke a ton of props first couple days and ended up messing up my stock VTX on some stupid shit (double sided tape ripped off the copper coil underneath when remounting it after a crash, VTX was kinda junky). I also had a ridiculous incident with the battery velcro snapping off and causing the quad to fall, smashing my mobius. But hell, it’s so fun it’s worth it. I had some rough luck first week and it wasn’t cheap but shit happens. After that I was cruising like a boss.

I saw p. Miller in a parking lot on north street with s similar set up- goggles, flying a droid.

i posted it on Instagram not knowing it was him lol. https://instagram.com/p/0GP05rAWg2/

I have a couple Syma X5C’s for $50 they’re worth the money and do video and its something learn on before you break a $800+ one.

Im about to jump into a storm racing setup in the next month :tup:

a storm racing drone is on my list for this summer, I need to buy a bigger heli first though

Not sure if this helps anyone, but Lifehacker did a survey of the best drones (mainly from people who own them or have used them). The DJI Phantom 2 Vision won:

The racing drones are a bit faster vs the phantom

I think these are super cool, I’m not sure I’d have any use for them though. It’d be kinda cool to fly around the dog park with though.

Any use for them?

The whole point is entertainment.

What’s the range? I have no use for one but I need one!

Maybe once I start making $Becks?

Hopefully from my house to yours :tup:

If that’s the case your dogs are gonna hate me even more once I scoop one.