fixed

valve cover gasket?

Edit: and im guessing but the oils probibly not good for the belt… side note how did it boost? and how did the clutch hold?

Looks like it could be the cam seal, or the valve cover gasket.

Give us a call tomorrow so we can set up a day for you to bring it down for us to look at it if you want.

at this point im going to replace the cam seals and valve cover gasket and go from there

sounds like the main seal is going…

A few questions first please to help in diagnosis.

1. Have you changed timing belts recently? If not, when was the last time you did and how many miles since?

2. When were your cams installed? Were the cam seals replaced at that time?

3. Is this the first set of rides since the new turbo setup? If so is the car tuned for the new setup? If you remove your breather hose so that it is open to the atmosphere do you see smoke coming out of it in a pretty steady state after a hard set of pulls?

4. Is your PCV hooked up?

Let me know these things and it will help me to diagnose it without being there to see the car. It is important to see the car but otherwise this will help some.

The one cam gear shows some oil on the back side. I can see valvecover gasket on the intake side of the cams but not on the exhaust side. I’m not sure if this is just the camera angle but look to see that the gasket didnt come out of the groove when installing the v/c and get lodged inside the valve cover onthe other side ofthe groove. I want to say preliminarily that it looks like (from the photos) to be a little too much oil to be coming from a cam seal but I have seen nasty messes with bad cam seals but usually they are popping out as well. Do you hear a whining noise when you decelerate? If you are changing the cam seals the timing belt is coming off…check the oil pump shaft. With the belt off grab the gear and see if it has play…if it does, then the oil pump gears are eating into the cover causing excessive clearance. If this is the case then the timing belt was tightened too much last time it was installed. When this happens it does not take much time to cause this damage. If this is the case then you need a new oil pump/front cover. Also with the lower cover off you will see oil coming from the bottom of the oil pump drive, just drips but that is of concern. Take some pics if you can when you get it all apart.

With the way the oil is leaking from that cover, my money is on oil pump shaft seal…i have seen this happen before…it sucks.

Leaning towards PCV myself, sounds like too much pressure is in your crankcase. Have you ever gotten the blown dipstick?

timing belt has not been replaced, car doesnt have many miles on it… tad over 20k

cams were installed by innovative, pretty sure he replaced the cam seals as well. cams has probably been in the car for only 5k

car isnt tuned, just took it around the block. i had the car running a bunch of times after the install and this is the first time this has happened.

PCV is hooked up

Belt was off during cam installation.

If the oil pump shaft is loose there was too much tension on the belt causing side loading on te gear which then digs into the housing (on the inside). When this happes the shaft of the drive begins to oblong the bore as well. Then oil can leak past the seal because there is no longer a positive seal.

If the cam seals were not replaced then they will leak. Were you charged for cam seals? Talk to mike and find out.

This leak may have been happening for a while, you may have just noticed it now since you are more keen to possible problems due to checking over your work.

Also when you drove the car did you romp on it? Possible excessive blowby could have popped out a main seal but that is the less likely of the culprit.

Let us konw what you find

I’m sure you already know better, but definitely don’t run the engine. With oil on the timing belt it’s prone to snapping and you don’t know what’s actually wrong yet.

Cam seals are always replaced during a cam swap and we always us OEM, but that was a year ago so I’m leaning towards something else until I see it.

I have a lot of questions since the car isn’t here for me to see any of this and I know you’ve done work on it, but I’m sure exactly what. This could also be from a lot of things until it gets narrowed down.

Have you had the valve cover off since we installed the cams? Maybe to retorque the head studs or check something out?

Did you add a catch can or perhaps change the system of hoses going to it?
Is the catch can on the PCV or breather side of the system?
Are any of the breather side hoses kinked at all?
Is the PCV valve sealing properly? Did you check to see if it’s operating normally or not?

How long, in minutes, did the car run untuned since your winter installs? (Idle or otherwise)
Did you put the new injectors in yet?

Did you see any boost at all?

-Mike

the car has ran no more than 30 mintues since the turbo install. the car did not see ANY boost… i know better than this.

new injectors are in

valve cover has been off when i painted it. im going to look into the valve cover gasket and cam seals first since its the easiest solution at this point. i will have more info later tonight once i get home from work and have a chance to work on it

hard to tell in the pics, but from the looks of things of where all the oil is, i believe its the exhaust cam seal at this point. intake cam has nothing even on it and that whole side is clean

edit: i have not added a catch can, only thing i added was a breather filter since the buschur intake deletes the hose going to it

Modding cars sucks doesnt it… I hate the bugs that always pop up like this, sorry to hear… YOu’ll get’er fixed up tho

:(… i know nothing about 4g63… but ill offer moral support… good luck buddy

There are several possibilities…

I hope it’s something simple like the valve cover gasket not seating quite right when you reinstalled it. Did you reuse it? They often stretch/warp and don’t sit nicely if you try to reuse them.

The piston on the hydraulic tensioner gets checked for extension to make sure the tension on the belt is within range so the oil pump should be fine.

Obviously running the car untuned for that long on injectors that big has the potential to wash the cylinder walls down allowing extra crankcase pressure to blow seals out, but hopefully that hasn’t happened. The car definitely shouldn’t be run on the new injectors without tuning.

Let me know about the catch can and breather hose questions from my last post.

In the end it could be as simple as a defective cam seal that took a year to manifest itself. Keep us posted and if you want us to check it out you know where we are. :slight_smile:

-Mike

i dont have a catch can on the car, everything is the same except a breather filter i put on instead of the hose that runs to the intake since buschurs intake deletes it.

and by looking at the pics again my valve cover gasket def looks like its non-existant by the exhaust cam, oh the joy of troubleshooting

that was the first thing i noticed in the pics… I don’t really have an upper timing belt cover… (it was cut by the pre. owner for the adjustable cams) and it looks like my gasket sits better…

wel, not that bad of a fix… seen a ton of residue around my valve cover by the exhaust cam gear as well as in between my ex and in cams. took off the cover and BAM, my gasket is in about 5 pieces :frowning:

Atleast it was simple enough…hopefully the belt is salvageable but you might want to get an upgraded Tbelt and have it replaced to be extra sure.