Help~Engine Ticking BAD

Does that motor use a cam bearing? Just saying a lot of motors I have seen dont use cam bearings its just a jouranal with an oil squirter…

then again Ive never had a K series or many honda motors apart for that matter

I’m sorry but it sounds like whoever had this car before you beat the piss out of it or didnt keep up with routine maitenance.

If it turns out that way then ok, but it could very well turn out to be a problem with the engine itself, Im going to guess nothing to do with previous owner, just was bad from the factory and just finally had it and broke or is making noise.I have put 10k on it since I bought it, and havnt had any issues since then. I do notice alot of electrical problems with the computer but I dont think any abuse could cause that, I could be wrong though.

There’s the possibility it was a flood car?

I don’t think these motors have cam bearings.

:lol no it wasnt

Im pretty sure it does, I could be wrong though.

There are no cam bearings, the cam journals are machined into the aluminum rocker holder/assembly. It unbolts from the head.

ok, I was wrong than lol thanks for the info tho!:thumbup

Yeah dident think so… not many cars use a cam bearing… maybe some older V8’s but every import motor ive seen apart just use a machined journal and an oil squirter in the journal

so, is there a solid diagnosis on this or still nothing?

it goes into Mohawk Honda tomarrow.

any bets on who here was right?

tricia… heard many a horror story about gil’s. sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but just because the service was polite, and the waiting room is clean/ modern, doesn’t mean there aint hackin goin on. you have no idea what i’ve seen from some of these “top shops.”

+1 I’ve seen some cobbed shit come out of well respected shops

well to each its own I suppose, I tend to have faith in places until Im proved otherwise, plus I know all the techs personally so that might have something to do with it, Im not the “average” customer so to speak.

I bet the valve lash just needs to be adjusted.

IN!

2nd the valve lash @ 40K & its probably due - bring it to synapse :thumbup I don’t trust anyone else with my motor. fyi injectors can make a ticking sound too - with all your wiring issues it could be possible.

lifters & cam bearings lol…BTW leakdown (not compression) tests are the way to go to determine bent valves & if so how bad.

I beat the piss outta my k20 for a couple years & mis-shifted a couple times to over 9500 rpm(pushing the clutch back in just time) & never had a problem. You do want to make sure oil is full - in high G turns the pump can run dry if you don’t have a baffled pan and/or full oil, which can lead to the chain tensioner failing & losing tension can cause the chain to skip causing a “cam phase gap” CEL & possible bent valves - which probably is not your case.

how does the car idle? does it skip around (rpm wise)? or stay constant like it always has?

Big Red - sorry about the spun bearing - do you know anything about the history of the motor before Stallmer got it?

keep it out of a dealership they will rape the shit out of you & charge you for 1 thing you need & 10 you don’t

we think my motor may have been a nitrous motor, but well never know for sure. It ran fine when I had stallmer had it, until it started knocking that is.

it had zex plugs in it…