Hot rod e-test paper.

here is the wording straight from the lawmakers:

Ontario Regulation 361/98 (“Motor Vehicles”) to the Environmental Protection Act

“hot rod” means a motor vehicle in which the original motor has been replaced with a motor of a type not installed by the manufacturer on that model of motor vehicle for the model year designated for the motor vehicle by the manufacturer;

Does a KA24DE-T fall under this regulation?

no

If a car is ran as a hot rod, do they go easier on you?

It basically allows more relaxed criteria for you to pass. Not sure what the actual values are, I’m sure it’s a percentage or something, but more or less yeah, they “go easier on you”…

1980 specs I believe.

i wonder if kade was in a 88-90 240 if it could be classified as hot rod? its the same model but the DE didnt come in that year, anybody think this could work?

there’s no point, it’s pretty easy to pass with that swap, i’ve done it a couple times before.

isnt there a thing were once your car is 20 years old u dont even need an etest anymore? so if ur 240 is an 89 u wont even need an etest come 2009? i heard it somewhere i could be wrong

1987 and older don’t need e-test, 1988 and newer do.

i got mine last spring just after the new kitchener nissan opened down the street. i went in at the back where the shop is, there are a few offices there.

I am a cert. drive clean tech, I double checked the SOP. For the vehicle to be tested as a hot rod, the engine that is installed has to be of a size that was not originally available for the car. So if you have an engine with a size other that 2.4L… such as RB25, etc… It qualifies as a hot rod, and all the tech has to do is make a note on the work order… maybe take a picture, then print out the report… assuming that it passes the pre-inspection. Shops are still allowed to charge the 37.50 because that is the maximum you can charge for a drive clean (plus labour costs) But there is no minimum charge for drive cleans. Some shops like mine give free drive cleans if you fail/ complete a large repair.

As for the 20 year old thing… that changed, it stopped counting at 2006. So everything pre 86 is exempt… everything above that has to be tested and the year wont be changing from now on.

i Just failed my emissions with my SR and im wondering if it will pass as under the “hotrod” status… here are my numbers
HC 122
Co .9
NO ppm 1414

any help is appreciated :slight_smile:

this is the 2nd time ive failed i used octane booster … 91 premium gas and the guarantee pass stuff … but it didnt work

Just lookin to get it on the road

I just passed my SR under hotrod yesterday. Just told them it was a swapped motor not offered in north america. He looked up the rules said it had to be a diffrent displacement engine…i told him it was 2.0 instead of 2.4 then we made sure it got up onto the emissions machine. My HC PPM limit was 300 and my car passed with 300!..the shop said they have never seen that happen before.

Help me out here, e test TOMORROW

I talked to him yesterday and he said since the engine came in my car (like stated above) it can’t run as a hotrod. I have a 180 with ca18. he said had it been a 240sx with ca it would be hotrod. WTF ! What do I do? I know skyline guys get away with it somehow. Help lol

New cat-con, full engine tune up, 94, guarantee pass stuff, you might get it.

a 180sx gets run as a grey market vehicle which has the same standards as a hotrod i belive. that’s what my 180sx was ran under and that’s they way they’ve always done it, a 180sx shouldn’t have a specific standard to meet as they shouldn’t be in the database. because they weren’t when i did mine… all imported cars are lumped into grey market vehicle unless this changed. my 180 spanked these standards too btw it was hilarious the etest guy said he never saw a car own them so bad

imported vehicles should be run as grey market, yes

I made my sr pass with flying colors on hot rod status. Here’s what I did to make sure it passed… (keep in mind I even have hks 264 step 2 cams)

-1 year old catco cat
-brand new O2 sensor
-brand new water temp sensor
-brand new spark plugs
-filled up with 94

Results:

ASM2525
-HC ppm 74 / 318
-CO% 0.40 / 2.52
-NO ppm 390 / 3353
-dilution 15.4

Curb Idle Test
-HC ppm 133 / 300
-CO% 0.54 / 1.50
-dilution 14.7

i Just failed my emissions with my SR and im wondering if it will pass as under the “hotrod” status… here are my numbers
HC 122
Co .9
NO ppm 1414

any help is appreciated

this is the 2nd time ive failed i used octane booster … 91 premium gas and the guarantee pass stuff … but it didnt work

Just lookin to get it on the road

your nox are way too high… you have a cylinder overheating problem. It is almost always something to do with the egr system or a bad cat. Once you have that fixed it should pass no problem.