I cant pass the etest...what to do or where to get one?

HC is un-burnt fuel. To rich at idle you can try adjusting the idle air and see what happens. It’s kind of hard to deal with cause you can drop the fuel pressure but then NOx levels will raise do to higher temps. Then again the ecu might pick-up on it and lengthen the injector pulse. It hard to deal with, without the proper equipment to see what your emissions levels are at while adjusting.

you experts can explain to me how a car can fail 3 times in a row before I get it, and pass perfectly when I have it tested

I’ve “helped” numerous people after failing by taking them to my guys where they passed with flying colours

but I’m sure that was a complete accident, they all were, you can only drive it one way…

I might believe that when I get alzheimers

that’s stupid, that would affect the fueling all over… when all that matters is idle, maybe the idle switch isn’t working or other idle controls, use the fsm to test them and swap them out with known good ones as needed

that’s stupid, that would affect the fueling all over… when all that matters is idle, maybe the idle switch isn’t working or other idle controls, use the fsm to test them and swap them out with known good ones as needed[/quote]

No shit its going to affect fueling over. Why would he swap out the idle air valve? If he can adjust it, its working,its a simple screw valve you ass clown.

use the fsm to test them and swap them out with known good ones as needed

there once was a monkey named thankyou …

aparently 94 is the worst to run since it burns the slowest and leaves unburnt fuel behind on idle…

ill be switching to 91 for the next test…

And who else can’t say that? Everytime you got a problem you pick up you FSM? Where the point in saying that? You think he’s a ass clown like you, whos like yah I’m going to take it to my buddies shop and appearently I no what going on even though I’m not the one doing the test and repairs. You know how many off these I do at nissan in a week? Phil, krimzen and other people on this board knows my work. I not saying I’m the best but I’ll get it done. I don’t mean to pick at you but you don’t do this for a living, I do.

i dont know about that …higher octane is better…to a point, too high of an octane and it wont burn properly if you have a normal or lower compression engine, such as turboed engine, but 94 is going to be better for the engine and will always burn cleaner and the reason for higher octane gas is because its helps eliminate pre detonation in the CC and engine knock. Thats why we no longer use leaded fuels… Higher than 94 octane is meant to be used in really high compression engines, if not it wont burn properly.

What are you running under scotty? stock 240 or hotrod?

i dont know about that …higher octane is better…to a point, too high of an octane and it wont burn properly if you have a normal or lower compression engine, such as turboed engine

compression can affect octane requirements, but on a turbo car you need to have the higher octane to prevent pre-ignition when running more advanced timing or when the compressed air temps are too high as you know… which is entirely irrelevant during idle when it’s in high vacuum

but 94 is going to be better for the engine and will always burn cleaner

fuel burns cleaner when the fuel is more refined and free of impurities… it also needs adequate time to burn/combust completely that usually means you need to be at the right a/f and the timing has to be advanced far enough to complete the burn before dumping into the exhaust

Thats why we no longer use leaded fuels…

lead benzoate was an octane booster and helped reduce explosions during crashes… you’ll realize this is why 130 octane racing fuel contains lead… because it is the same leaded gas they used to use, and motors in the old days were high compression, 14:1 was not unheard of

Higher than 94 octane is meant to be used in really high compression engines, if not it wont burn properly.

higher compression just needs less advanced ignition timing, lower compression needs more timing, that is all

thats also true, and we can constantly keeping posting back and forth about all this from here on, but i was simply describing all this in an unpretentious manner and for everyday cars you see on the road, not heavily modified cars you would find at the track. This has slightly gone off topic now and has gotten way too specific into details. Although, it could be usefull/informative to some people on the forum! It never hurts to learn something new!