KA24E Blew Up!! New Video's And Pictures Added!!!

Well, it started at about 4:00pm today when i heard a slight knock.
I started getting woried.
Sure enough, within 20 min my car is blowing smoke out the tailpipe and backfiring like mad!
I had problems with the engine before, i suspected a rod knock about 1 month before, but it went away.
Then at about 4:30, everything went downhill and fast.
When i bairly touched the throttle, it sounded like a bunch of marbles were in my engine.
Then it would blow WHITE clouds of smoke out the tailpipe even worse than before (Possibly head gasket).
So I knew it was time to bring it home and park it.
While I was going home at about 4:40, driving like a grandpa then i pushed the clutch in and my RPM’s hit 0 instantly.
At the time im doing about 35km/h (was slowing down for traffic).
I then realized the engine had just retired.
So i let the clutch out fast hoping it would restart the engine.
Didnt do a thing.
I came to a halting stop, so i tried to start it up and the whole car starts to shake.
The engine wouldnt even turn over.
After about 15 min. of waiting, a friend came to help me and gave it another shot at starting it.
I had to work at 5pm!!
Suprisingly it fired up, but sounded horrible!!! Clank! Clank! Clank! BANG! backfires out of no where.
So we raced home (only about a 2 min drive from there).
Il get a video hopefully tomorow if the damn thing starts.
Time to rip the engine out and put a new one in.
I checked the oil when the car died, was right between the lines, so it wasnt running low.
I also filled up my rad about 3 hours before, so there was engine coolant.

Anyone had this happen to them?
Any guesses as to what it is?
When the engine comes out, il take it apart and see who was right!

Is this the one you were running the turbo on? If so, id say that points you in the direction of an improperly tuned setup.

want to buy my KA24DE?..

PM me for details!

Cracked Ring lands and possibly fucked rod bearings. Knock and detonation will kill any engine fast!! I hope you were running stupid boost to cause that like 20PSI + on pump gas…Or you just have a shitty tune.

Woops its a Single in the car…Headgasket for sure then.

i saw you turning into sal at like 2pm yesterday, i noticed your car was puffin some pretty good smoke

Yea, you were in the blue S13 i think.
I gave you a wave :E
Yea i was puffing smoke as always!

The turbo is not installed.
Engine was stock.
I have decided to build a KA24E-T.

lol!
I already have one with a tranny.
But i do need an uncut wiring harness, ecu, and gauge cluster.
What year is the engine.
Must be 91-93.

Alright, got 2 video’s here.
Don’t mind my little brother, he doesnt know what he is talking about :E
I am VERY sure its a bent valve.
When I let off the gas, it backfires like crazy.
In 2nd Video, I only went up to about 2700 RPM then let off fast, now imagine anything higher than that.

Explore G K
Explore G K

I wasn’t able to view your videos, but I had the same problem as you described and it was the headgasket and while we had it apart we changed the Timing chain and guide.

Ran like a champ after that!

Yea, you were in the blue S13 i think.
I gave you a wave :E
Yea i was puffing smoke as always![/quote]

yeah that was me. my car used to smoke like that back in highschool, except it wasnt coming from the engine 8)

is there any relation to this thread and this ?

http://www.n-e-c-c.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9993

Not really. It happened once before, not as bad though…

From the second video, it sounds like you got a blown headgasket. I dunno about a bent valve, but it doesnt sound pretty.

White smoke indicated coolant in your oil and your burning both, so thats the headgasket. You may have toasted your rings or ring lands as well.

What were you doing when this happened? The last few days will help. Valves usually only bend under hard drving. IE. Bouncing off the rev limiter.

anything look out of the ordinary in the engine compartment?

the exhaust backfire could be happening because of an intake valve still letting in air/fuel when the exhaust valve is opening… which could be a bent/broken intake valve
but then you have to think why the valve is bent/broken in the first place. the engine timing could have been thrown off by hard driving / overrev. if the timing is out enough the valve can get caught in the wrong spot and get killed by the piston. then in one cyl you have a fucked piston and a valve slapping around.

but the blue smoke i saw earlier in the day makes me think it may be burning oil? did you check all the fluid levels?

the white smoke would be burning coolant. i had a headgasket let go while i was driving and the amount of white smoke was insane. if it was a catastrophic head gasket failure the amount of white smoke coming out of the exhaust would be quite signifigant.

did you check for spark in all 4 cyls?you could be down to 3 cyl’s and the smoke and backfiring may be a result of non combusted fuel from one cyl.

thats all i can think of right now, its kinda hard to just troubleshoot without the car infront of you. im not a auto mechanic im a heavy equipment tech :oops: so i may be wrong.

check all the fluid level and color and get back to me. also if you can check and see if you have sprak on all 4 cyls. the condition and color of the sprak plug can tell us a lot also

Not really, that thread is about my Bee*R.
This is about my engine.

Well, I only have water in my radiator because my water pump went on me about 2 weeks ago. So i just fill it up with water before i leave. Takes out the chance of burning anti-freeze (glycol i think is what actually burns and makes the smeel when head gasket is blown)
I dont drive it hard at all.
I have never bounced the limiter before.
I was wondering if the previous owners were abusing the engine before i bought it.
The engine does have 286 xxx on it.

We thought it could be the timing chain. It almost sounded like it was slapping around.
2 days ago, one of my friends thought there could have been piston slap.
I AM ONLY USING WATER IN MY RAD, so im not sure why it’s white.
There is alot of white smoke coming from the exhaust.
Everytime is backfires, a HUGE cloud of white smoke comes out.
Everytime i push the clutch in backfires like mad.

Yesterday i started the car to see if it was doing the same thing.
There was no noise at all.
Not even a slight tick.
I gave an easy drive around the block and everything seemed alright.
So i went for a drive for a while and everything was fine.
ALL FLUID LEVELS WERE CHECKED AND RIGHT THEY WERE RIGHT WHERE THEY SHOULD BE
At about 9pm last night it did the same thing.
Car started making a LOUD knock then it just turned off.
I waited like 5 min then started it back up and brought it home.
She is now parked and not moving until the new engine goes in.