LS1 in a 240sx?

Yes I am because I’ve done my research. The front wheels will have MORE wight if the LS isn’t moved back through the firewall…

The LS1 WILL NOT give you 50/50 WD (Unless properly corner balanced on coils). Not without moving it back and cutting into the firewall and tranny tunnel. with the t56 shifter in the stock s-chassis location it sits far enough forward
The engine does sit a BIT lower than the KA. It’s also a bigger engine overall so the bottom will obviously be lower.

Which is why there’s so much BS about the LS engine… Too many people who back their shit up.

*Next comment NOT directed at those quoted.

People need to stop talking about this engine if they know nothing about it.

No I havnt auto-x’d, But although it is a form of racing you dont need power to do well. So if you were to build a dedicated auto-x car then you obviously wouldnt opt for an lsx. Uneeded power, uneeded weight. Compare that to a touring, dift or drag car and that 126 lbs extra of an LSX wouldnt be as big of a deal when you look at the stock power, potenial power and reliablity it brings with it

Still if anyone here’s racing competitevly enough to be contemplating an LSx Vs. an extra 126 lbs, I’m pretty sure what we say isnt going to make or break their decision. 400hp out of the box that gets 26+ mpg, incredible reliability and cheap bolt-ons sound good to me for a street and/or track car.

Edit: Also I didnt say an Ls1 would give you 50/50 weight dist. A 240 dosnt have a perfect W/d to start with, but im sure you can manage to atleast keep the w/d with an LSX without cutting the firewall or doing any major fab work.

Actually if i recall j-rho discussed the possibility of an LS in a 240 doing quite well i cant remember in which class of autox i dont think it was for sm2… after driving a 600whp SM2 corvette (if my memory serves). uhm… cant really remember for which class (as certain classes restrict engine swaps to only original manufacturer)

You want that instant response and low end torque in autox of that sorts… you want high rpm power on a road racing course. Hence why even a no low end motor like an SR can do well in road racing but is unheard of and shit in autox.

Also if your pockets are deep an LS can be made to rev to 8k rpm… but whoopie do. We’re talking as if the regular S chassis owner, more so regular son240 member would ever even bother considering such a thing much less the swap itself.

The debate j-rho had was to use a VQ or go kat, due to more abundant and instant torque versus spending gajilions on a lightened stroked 2.4liter SR which would cost say 10,000 to build and then break.

And I meant to say at least as light as a KA, i stand corrected :slight_smile: However those weights, honestly, have been floating all over the internet, and none have been really consistent, regardless of scales… what is known, is that the center of gravity is lower it being a pushrod… and… most of the new found weight is in the much larger 6spd tranny. Do a good enough job of swapping it and it’ll be a 50:50 split… yep. Everything takes money.

I guess im misinformed from silviav8forums.com then, the weight difference is negligable in the end if you make it as far back and low as possible, alongside frp bits here and there. Then again how many son240 owners really know beyond rust buckets… count on one hand how many people actually track or own a built car.

So in the end? I doubt any one of you will actually do one anyways except shit talk. Go www.silviav8forums.com thats where i get my info. At the end of the day a pos SR will be nothing to a superior NA motor. VH45DE is an awesome motor as well, however it won’t make the same power or torque as an LS period. Unless you spend a couple of tens of thousands on it, keep dreaming. So what guys in NZ and AUS do, you won’t… especially race teams, not son240 members with ‘drifting’ street cars lol.

I agree you don’t need all that power, but it’ll make up time it straights that you’ll most likely lose in the corners.
I’m not build a “dedicated” autox car, but my S14 will be doing far more solo1 or 2 than drifting. And an LS2 is waiting to go in.

The power of an LS1 easily over poweres the weight. Might I add the LS1, when all is said and done, will weigh more than an extra 126lbs.
But the power makes up for it.
I will add this though. The LS1 was made for cars that easily weigh approx. 700lbs+ heavier than our cars. So adding 200 or so lbs to a car that is already approx. 2600-2800lbs (pending on lightening mods) isn’t a bad thing.

BTW.
LS1 series motors never made more than 350hp out of the box.
The carvettes had 350 and the fox bodies had 305. The extra power comes from the ecu not the engine.
LS2’s are rated at 405 I believe.
The lS1 is reliable. It’s just not as reliable as everyone seems to think. My friend works for GM… You won’t believe how many LS powered cars are in there getting fixed.

I take your points they are valid :slight_smile:

However as said, how many son240 members really care for that 126lbs if thats the actual weight. The pros outweigh the cons is what I was trying to get to.

There are many creative ways to lose more than that 100lbs on the front… and different ways to make it 50:50.

Tell me more about your autox car though :smiley: I love autox, even though its even more hated on son240 than lapping it seems lol. I went to a couple of events last year and beginning of this year just for fun… but I hope to start road racing next spring :slight_smile:

Who is the guy that tracks an LS v8 on here? I just heard a glimpse of him putting one together, and not sorting out the suspension if i recall and thats it.

Quite frankly I myself could care less about power at the moment. All that I discuss is purely theoretical and on paper. What I have so far makes me more than happy, I need to improve my driving :slight_smile: I’ve been unimpressed with all the SRs I’ve had the chance to test drive. That’s itching me not to ever want to swap one. Too much hype. Like every day I get a new person asking me “so did you do an SR swap huh?” or “when are you doing an SR swap” it’s quite funny… but when it comes to that power, from a paper perspective, theoretically speaking, I see the pros outweighing the cons in this swap. I’d either go with a KAT or LS swap… yes it costs money to go fast… .sadly.

So for the most part it seems like we’re arguing on the same side, there we go.

And I was meaning an LS2 when I gave the Hp ratings, I’m contemplating an Ls2 swap as well as I have one readily available to me, might be a while still until it sees the time of day though, lol.

It is a piece of Gm engineering so obviously its not going to be perfect, but 400hp out of a Ls2 vs. 400hp out of an sr or ka, I’d say the Ls2 would win in reliabilty.

Ugh… I’m on silviav8.com to and I have not been “Misinformed”. Most of MY info is from there. And I’m building an LS2 S14. Eat your own words.

Anyways. I’m bolding all my comments in your quote.

I was not intending to argue with you, lol. I was trying to side with you. And make some corrections. lol.

Good stuff then, lol. Is this Ls2 in the plans anytime soon or still a ways in the distance?

Ahmed, just get a corvette.

Engine is at the “farm”. Car is at home awaiting new axles. Just so it driveable. Tranny is in negotiations. All mounts are in the blueprint stage. I’m going to get the machinists at work to machine them for me. Hopefully they turn out the way I want them to.
I’m gonna have to hit up Hinson for a driveshaft soon. Unless someone knows of a better place? 10 and 12’ wide steelies are being ordered soon. They’re just temps. Oh… and it’s probably not going to be N/A… :smiley:

New axles?? does that mean your going with a different rear end? Are you making your own mounts for any specific reason over going with the hinson mounts? (Different mounting position?)
There must be a shop somehwere in Toronto or the GTA that makes driveshafts, I’d imagaine theres a big enough demand for them, but so far I havn’t had any luck finding a place… Widebody I’m assuming?

Big plans man, cant wait to see them in action.

Hinson’s stuff is overpriced for what it is. The headers are the only cool thing. If you want to spend dough on a kit or want to make a good kit check out Sikky’s kit which includes a well put together oil pan.

Usually the guys in the state would get Driveshaft shop to just make one for cheaper if you give them the measures. If you’re smart you might as well do it at a local driveshaft shop. In the other driveshaft thread someone posted a few local driveshaft shops.

I would love to get a C6 :slight_smile: But give me the monies $$$.

And s13counterpart. I don’t know what’s happening canada-wise most of my ideas and biases come state-side. I really didn’t care nor know that much about canada-side events until more recently. One of the reasons being that son240 members wouldn’t really give a shit, nor does anyone believe an S chassis can do anything than be a ‘street-drift’ car lmao. Only because I plan to get more involved have I actually read anything locally.

You’re comparing a honda to a 240sx or m3 platform. First of all I’m thinking SM SM2 type events. Dunno whats up in canada… but the ones winning are rx7s, m3s, corvettes, and guess what they have, fat tires and lots of instant torque, gobs of it. They rock.

Hondas are a poor man’s weapon of choice. They have several advantages. When J-Rho talked about how furious the hondas are, I believe he was talking about STS, he said when the data was analysed, what was ironic is that the hondas albeit power-wise less, they were actually faster in the straightaways than the corners vs his 240sx built STS and some other cars he compared.

Secondly a honda is fwd, narrower, shorter wheel base, miles lighter, doublewishbone, lots of advantages that on the cheap will beat anything else to begin with vs a mcpherson 240sx or m3, much heavier, rwd, different power to weight ratio, rules, etc… different worlds buddy, heck even against a corvette, there’s many different factors giving them an advantage in certain autox classes.

But look at j-rho’s built SM winning 240sx. It had gobs of torque, response, the dynograph looked almost like a v8 init? He spent quite a bit more than the average 240 owner would, but it was doable. koni 2817 dampers… people are just hearing about konis here… and a few ran yellows thinking they were ‘too soft’ lol. To put things into perspective.

Look at DON from PDM, not as built as J-rho’s car, but still up there. For canada he did pretty well, although he told me before its pretty hard to compete with the m3s, this was a couple of years ago. J-Rho proved it, it can be done. Both of them are ka-ts.

The hondas may not have alot of power but they’re also a lot lighter which is the biggest plus for them. This is something every honda guy takes advantage of. Work on the advantages, not disadvantages when being on a budget. Pulling out of corners torque wins. This applies to all. Yes things may be worked in different manner but all stateside guys who win, build cars with torque, responsiveness and fat tires in mind when building SM SM2 cars for that short burst all out short time event. Yeah it also mostly depends on the gearing in which range of the powerband you’re working in, but all things worked out, torque and responsivness wins. An SR is unheard of stateside winning national events. It just lacks any real torque low to mid range, and the short burst of power upwards becomes useless and just trouble to control when it hits. Not many guys build cars around an SR check any SCCA NASA forum, any autox forum state-side. J-Rho jokingly mentioned a 2.4l stroker SR, but how much would that cost. The only cars built around SRs are road racing cars which are constantly in the upper rpm range and on throttle.

I’m building an all around car that’s all. An SR should do great in road racing. I just don’t enjoy the lack of low-mid range power if I were to use it for anything else.

Just opinions people, you’re entitled to it. I’d pick a 400whp ish LS over a 600whp SR any day, even if the SR is ‘faster’… if we’re talking paper to paper theoretically… I just would.

Here’s a guy mildly driving a stock swapped LS1/T56 on a road race in Atlanta:

Pretty cool imho. Calm, not loud, etc…

the basics: ls1/t56, i built everything in the car other than the engine itself. Tein HE coilovers, 9k/7k springs i believe, various adjustable suspension arms. 18x9.5 +15 MB Battle wheels with 225/45 and 245/40 Nitto NT-01 tires. diff is a kaaz 2 way. brakes are z32 front calipers with 350z brembo 13" rotors and adapters with HP+ pads, rears are z32 calipers/rotors. the car’s rough weight without me in it is about 2250 currently.

I wouldn’t agree to his ‘i built the car rather than the engine’ comment as in fact his ‘build’ is pretty mediocre with pretty cheap parts, but still better than stock. Could be better with lighter and better wheels as opposed to those heavy things, fatter tires rather than those skinny hoe ones although nt01s are good rubber (those are rare in Canada no?), drifting oriented 2way diff, tein coilovers which may work but, compared to other solutions are crap, and pretty standard off the shelf crap. He’s also driving it slow and easy as it’s his second time and still learning lol… but he is smooth, which is good. I’'d be no better imho. This was his second event ever. Still getting to know the car.

If I were to do the LS swap, I’d do it right to begin with, and then not worry too much about power either, but instead on the balance and weight of the car. Simple. (yeah simple in speech) but yeah.

No hate, just what it is.

I would consider a VQ swap though, but takes more effort to wire and get running. I am still not doing this any time soon. So I could very well change my mind. But for all out power with alot of pros I’d go for the LS swap. It’s initial cost is alot. but the after-cost is less. Cheap aftermarket.

This makes the VQ swap alot more appealing :smiley: But then again this is most likely a properly built car with a proper not newb driver :slight_smile:

If someone wanted just a drag car hey maybe RB25det is more appealing?:

There’s lots of options out there… just have to weigh the pros and cons and how much money you got. I find it ridiculous the arguments on son240. These are the options, make your personal choice.

Here’s if I’m not mistaken a VH45DE swapped silvia in new zeland for a hillclimb, pretty awesome too:

Here’s an RB swapped 200sx lapping and THIS is pretty nose heavy:

Also if you want to check out awesome lapping cars check 200sx cars in the UK, germany, holland :slight_smile: The swedes build some pretty monster drag 200sx as well :slight_smile: Those swedes make anything make massive power.

You can’t not like torque though :slight_smile: That’s real power :smiley:

Here’s a properly built LS6/T56 Rx7, different car but just shows how awesome the LS can be with a slightly more enthusiastic driver, this guy is babying it too lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iti551jJe1Q piss your pants fast

Also louder doesn’t mean faster :smiley: I used to love how turbo motors sounded until I actually drove a bunch lol…

Unless of course its a v8 turbo :stuck_out_tongue:

I have not wired a LS but I am sure it will not be easier then wireing a VH, it is just as easy if not easier then wireing s13 sr red top to an s13 chassis.

^^^ I just would like to know how old are you? And have you every driven a fast car?

A LS1 in a 240= NO TRACTION!!!

A 2JZ in a 240= NO TRACTION!!!

no traction = spining out

Spining out= crashing

Trust me!!! Be very careful if you do the swap.

If you put the right wheels and tires on it. You’ll have no problems gaining traction. And if you don’t mash on the throttle everytime you touch it. you won’t have any problems.

Making my own mounts. FOr a few reasons:
A) Cheaper
B) 0 wait time
C) No shipping
D) Trust my own welding over someone I’ve never even seen before.
E)Yes, different mounting position.

Yes, a widebody is in order. It may just be fender flares at first. 'Til I find what I want… Or make what I want :smiley:

Yes, the plans are quite big. But you either go big, or go home. Original plans were for a VH45-TT… But I was having trouble finding one.
I’m Aiming to have the car running and driveable by the next Bing’s meet. Will it happen? Hopefully…

Ahmed, you don’t make sense when you bash the SR but then praise the KA-T and the LS1…